Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by boeder
I wasn’t able to believe what I was reading.
Sadly, you are not the only one. Not the best approach to a chronic defect. You are handling this better than I would. My impression is that the response reflects a company decision to deny the defect and to discourage public awareness, combined with inadequate PR skills at the client facing level.
Tell them that you have seen this all over social media and that if Air Canada needs a current data point, to read Flyer Talk. ( add a sinister cackle of glee.)
Old May 11, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Not sure if this has been posted upthread but I saw a seat with a sticker indicating the seat is not functioning. Not sure if deflated.

Someone was still assigned to the seat, however! If it was me, I’d have a fit!

It was a little kid maybe 7-8 yrs old (whose parents were nowhere closeby, at least a few rows away and not very attentive to the child (leaving the SD and FAs with way more work - will post rant in appropriate thread). I will assume they were last minute upgrades (2 kids and 2 adults) and they were told of the faulty seat? Maybe a little kid weighing less than 50 lbs won’t feel the park bench (if that was the issue).

Sorry for poor photo but didn’t want to creep out the child.

Old May 12, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: Air Canada Altitude, Star Alliance
Another incident

I just flew on a B777-200 from YYZ-HKG and I sent an email to the concierge team prior to my flight to ask them to check the seat before boarding. Guess what, it was deflated! I just lost it and decided to just sit at another seat. Told the flight director and told him to figure it out.

Luckily the flight cabin wasn’t full so they moved the other passenger somewhere else and put a defective sign on the seat. They offered me compensation but frankly, I’m flying another airline on my next long trip, this happens way too often and the concierge team is a joke...
skybluesea and agjil like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Marc Ab
I just flew on a B777-200 from YYZ-HKG and I sent an email to the concierge team prior to my flight to ask them to check the seat before boarding. Guess what, it was deflated! I just lost it and decided to just sit at another seat. Told the flight director and told him to figure it out.

Luckily the flight cabin wasn’t full so they moved the other passenger somewhere else and put a defective sign on the seat. They offered me compensation but frankly, I’m flying another airline on my next long trip, this happens way too often and the concierge team is a joke...
I understand the frustration with the deflated seats, but frankly I disagree with how you handled this.

Firstly, asking the concierge to board the aircraft and check the seat for you is out of bounds in my view. Not their job and they wouldn't get any different results than you. I'll assume there was another pax somewhere at YYZ frustrated to have to wait longer than usual for a concierge for a real issue.

Secondly, assigning yourself a new seat and telling the SD "you figure it out" reeks of DYKWIA and shows a general disrespect for others. It's clear to me you think you're more important than you are, and I'd say the same to you if you were royalty. You're just an average human like the hundreds of others that were aboard that aircraft.

On my phone so can't see if you are SE but I assume so. Can't imagine an occasional J passenger would think to ask a concierge to check a seat for deflation. If this is how SE's act no wonder FAs sometimes approach me as though they assume I'm going to bite their heads off before we've even exchanged 3 words.

Sorry your seat pancaked. That really sucks. Even more sorry you felt handing it with petulance was the best approach.
pilot007, etkuo, ffsim and 11 others like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: Air Canada Altitude, Star Alliance
Sounds like you’re more interested in defending the airline - do you work for them, or have worked for them in the past? Seriously, I hope you’re joking...

just to clarify, this has happened to me about 8 times over the last 3 months that my seat was deflated, so it was Air Canada’s suggestion/idea to email the concierge team prior to any flights so they can check it for me. What’s frustrating here is that they checked it, not for deflation, but to see if the controls worked.

Their comp is $1,000 yet the flight in J cost about $5,000 for each segment, and I’m totally not interested in their money, just want a seat that works.

So, oh wise one, how do you suggest one deals with this issue after 8 incidents in 3 months?
skybluesea, agjil and mellon like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
So, oh wise one, how do you suggest one deals with this issue after 8 incidents in 3 months?
My process is to check the seat immediately on boarding, and if deflated, to raise it immediately with the cabin crew (I won't sit down). The cabin crew, in cooperation with the ground ops team, can repair the seat and/or move me to a working seat, but I'd never just take someone else's seat.

It has happened to me before that the plane was otherwise ready to go, and so the captain came by to inquire about the problem. I happily explained and he understood it was a maintenance issue. Eventually it was fixed and off we went, 20 min late. Deflategate is one reason I'm more prone to check bags - they are (sadly) more motivated to fix the problem than to simply offload me.

bawm
Old May 13, 2019, 8:32 am

IMHO with the current situation where this problem has not made any progress for the past few years, asking the concierges to check for seat deflation prior to a flight is not totally unreasonable.
As annoying as it could be for them, maybe this will finally give them the motivation to take this seriously and find ways to resolve it properly? (or at least escalate it with more serious urgency?)

The concierges' job is to help pax travel from point A to B with minimal problems (ideally zero problems), and making sure seats are working properly is part of it if the seats have big problems, which they do.
I agree it is a bit ridiculous to ask them to check seats, but it is not my fault it came down to this.
Plumber likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agjil
IMHO with the current situation where this problem has not made any progress for the past few years, asking the concierges to check for seat deflation prior to a flight is not totally unreasonable.
As annoying as it could be for them, maybe this will finally give them the motivation to take this seriously and find ways to resolve it properly? (or at least escalate it with more serious urgency?)

The concierges' job is to help pax travel from point A to B with minimal problems (ideally zero problems), and making sure seats are working properly is part of it if the seats have big problems, which they do.
I agree it is a bit ridiculous to ask them to check seats, but it is not my fault it came down to this.
Agreed. OTOH taking another seat and telling the SD to deal with it is definitely not appropriate.
jc94 likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Stranger
Agreed. OTOH taking another seat and telling the SD to deal with it is definitely not appropriate.
well after 2+ years perhaps this is the way of dealing with it? Clearly AC has done nothing from passenger complaints maybe SD will have more luck?
Old May 13, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AC SE
I had 3 flights on 77W's over the past week, and 2 of 3 had deflated seats when I boarded. In both examples, I'd noticed it on boarding and identified it to the crew. In one case (YYZ-LHR), crew did a reset, it worked for a while and was deflated again shortly thereafter. Second reset to no avail, and flight was full in J, so ended up adding some pillows for cushioning to try to get a nap. SD filled out the white compensation form.

Other flight was 77W on YYZ-YVR, and again noticed it was deflated immediately on boarding. I'd mentioned it to the SD, but thankfully maintenance was on board finishing up some other maintenance and had been replacing the seat bladders, so he did a seat bladder replacement on the spot. Took him about 5-10 minutes, and basically pulled out the clear inner bladder and replaced it and then reset the seat. Worked fine after that. Lucky to have a maintenance crew member on board at the right time with some spare replacement bladders for that flight!
Nitehawk, Plumber and mellon like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Stranger
Have to admit this was my first thought, what you OP have said if another pax came over and said I think this is my seat!

Guess if you have boarded very late (with Zone 5 say) it may be reasonable to try another seat, but that's still no guarantee there won't be a last minute pax in that seat.

While AC's inability/unwillingness/incompetence in dealing with this issue is unacceptable, it doesn't give one the right to make up your own rules. Request or even demand they fix it sure.
I don't much wrong with having a concierge check it if that's an option, especially if AC have suggested it. Isn't their job anything to make the trip easier? Maybe AC should actually check all seat befo.. okay never mind.
balexis likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
Maybe AC should actually check all seat befo.. okay never mind.
That's my issue. There are already a bunch of crew on the aircraft. I'm not saying it's their job either, but it would cost a lot less time from an employee to have two FAs quickly check all the seats, rather than having a bunch of requests from SEs to go to the gate, get on the plane, check one seats, then return to their office.

Not to mention that they really should be checking EVERY seat before every flight until the permanent fix is installed, not just checking ONE seat because one person made a request.
wrp96 and jc94 like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Sounds like you’re more interested in defending the airline - do you work for them, or have worked for them in the past? Seriously, I hope you’re joking...

just to clarify, this has happened to me about 8 times over the last 3 months that my seat was deflated, so it was Air Canada’s suggestion/idea to email the concierge team prior to any flights so they can check it for me. What’s frustrating here is that they checked it, not for deflation, but to see if the controls worked.

Their comp is $1,000 yet the flight in J cost about $5,000 for each segment, and I’m totally not interested in their money, just want a seat that works.

You didn't quote anything from my post so I'm not sure which part you felt was in defense of the airline. What is it you think I'm joking about? My statement that I feel like you didn't handle it maturely?

The deflated seats are indefensible. I've always said so. Trying to buy you off with $1000 coupon is indefensible. You thinking that spending whatever amount of money affords you the right to treat people - who by the way are not remotely responsible for the seats being deflated - the way you did is also indefensible. That's the only point I tried to make it and I am standing by it.

Again - your seats should not be deflated. Ever. Especially not 8 times in 3 months. You are owed compensation and I wish AC would just fix this issue. For that part of it I feel badly for you.

Finally, I'm confident the community here (and if not them, than definitely me!) would love confirmation that AC actually instructed you to request a concierge physically check whether your seat was inflated or not prior to you boarding. If that's a thing they want all J customers doing we could all jump on that bandwagon and AC might notice how prevalent the issue really is. We're all open to anything to get this fixed!
ffsim, windscar, balexis and 1 others like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's my issue. There are already a bunch of crew on the aircraft. I'm not saying it's their job either, but it would cost a lot less time from an employee to have two FAs quickly check all the seats, rather than having a bunch of requests from SEs to go to the gate, get on the plane, check one seats, then return to their office.

Not to mention that they really should be checking EVERY seat before every flight until the permanent fix is installed, not just checking ONE seat because one person made a request.
with the # of seat broken you would think AC would be sending "staff" on the planes to fix the issue at each stopover? Clearly this has become a much bigger problem. Also do other airlines have these seats are they having problems. Why not remove the bladder and just put in a hunk of foam?
Old May 13, 2019, 1:40 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I know of other FTers who have the Concierges check their seats.

Since there is not a designated 'seat wrangler' role in AC, why wouldn't we want someone, anyone from AC to check and if necessary deal with the problem preflight? It's their product, they sold it to us and if it's broke, they need to try to make it right.

Once the plane is up in the air our choices are a lot more limited. We need to have an SD that has a clue and hope that they can 'fix' the seat and/or that there is a spare seat available. Past that it gets uncomfortable for somebody. All the more reason for the preflight check.

My plan to mitigate my stay-flat exposure while still hitting SE is simple. I am redirecting at least half of my AC spend to other *A carriers and have so far been pretty successful - no deflated seats this year. But I have upcoming AC flights to FRA, FCO, TPE and SYD that could break that streak, so we will see.

The only thing I know for certain is that this year AC will earn about $30 - 40K less from me than last year. And that's not because I am flying less or sitting in the back. That amount is not enough to move the needle for them, but it's as proactive as I can get right now without resorting to unnatural acts.

Last edited by Bohemian1; May 13, 2019 at 1:41 pm Reason: too many notes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.