Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by cricketer
Not particularly concerned about getting rich from this, it's more a matter of principle, and the presumption that every extra complaint will help nudge AC towards acknowledging and ultimately resolving this.
Getting rich? -

I suspect most paying $4-8K RT are not interested in the $500 or $1000 eCoupon being granted usually upon protest. We simply want to board a flight and have no issues with the seat which in my mind is why we are sitting in the front in any case.

The whole concept of being apprehensive about whether our seat will be inflated or not is absurd.
visitor, cricketer, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
Getting rich? -

I suspect most paying $4-8K RT are not interested in the $500 or $1000 eCoupon being granted usually upon protest. We simply want to board a flight and have no issues with the seat which in my mind is why we are sitting in the front in any case.

The whole concept of being apprehensive about whether our seat will be inflated or not is absurd.
At first, I thought all these comps were actually cash, but none of them are... so there is truly no "getting rich" from this as it's not possible even if one tried.

On top of that, the eCoupon, when used, is not counted for AQD.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
At first, I thought all these comps were actually cash, but none of them are... so there is truly no "getting rich" from this as it's not possible even if one tried.

On top of that, the eCoupon, when used, is not counted for AQD.
It does, but you have to submit a discrepancy form.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It does, but you have to submit a discrepancy form.
Why can't they just credit the AQD straight up to begin with?
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:14 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Why can't they just credit the AQD straight up to begin with?
Because AC has decided that devoting IT resources to nickel and dime the AQD of some of their best customers over a token issued to cover a persistent service failure is more important than fixing basic issues with their sites / app.

That's why.
jc94 likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Because AC has decided that devoting IT resources to nickel and dime the AQD of some of their best customers over a token issued to cover a persistent service failure is more important than fixing basic issues with their sites / app.

That's why.
Thank you. I had no idea.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 28, 2020 at 6:36 pm
Old May 1, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by skybluesea
Well, if I may suggest, write back to AC with rejection of compensation offer, and demand better.

When J travelers are just accepting what AC unilaterally offers, or worse enable AC bad behavior by bringing on board air mattresses, then AC gets free pass here.

if instead, AC were to get many rejections letters, then problem they have is should a public complaint come about from either the Competition Bureau or Advertising Standards Canada, AC CANNOT then deny that customers have agreed to compensation for the service failure.

And as a reminder to everyone, AC is trying to have you look the other way using your own money, or other people's money if your corporation/client pays.
You've been touting this for 3+ months now. How far has it gotten you with your reject of AC's compensation offer?
Old May 1, 2019, 8:38 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 28, 2020 at 6:36 pm
Old May 1, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
@YVRtoYYZ

And your solution is what?

Do nothing?

And NOT accepting AC crumbs payoff at least does not make me complicit with a demonstrated AC strategy that works with most.

And as posted previously, if I'm successful, the refund goes to my client who paid for the ticket - I don't need the money, principle does matter, at least for me.

ps...given numerous attacks on my sincere effort to push for a solution, will only post my progress with those who have kindly sent PM.

good luck ...and I will keep posting, you are always free to ignore.
I'm genuinely curious though, as I'm sure many here are. What's the status? Did AC at least acknowledge your rejection? Counter-offer?

No disagreement that we should all do better at demanding more, but since you jumped off that cliff already I think it's reasonable to expect your fellow affected AC FFs here would want an update on your bold journey.
Plumber and canopus27 like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

A reminder that should anyone have an issue with a post(s) they are asked to contact a forum moderator rather than comment in a post. And while members are under no obligation to reply to any post, let's please try and keep this discussion within this thread rather than encouraging it be conducted elsewhere.

tcook052
AC forum mod.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
@YVRtoYYZ
And your solution is what?
Do nothing?
Put it in a different perspective. I've had ~10 deflated seats in the last 6 months. Haven't kept track of the total compensation but given most were YYZ-HKG/SYD with a smattering of YYZ-LHR/FRA, let's say I've gotten ~200,000 aeroplan points.
What will 200,000 aeroplan points get you?

YYZ-LHR in J x 2* people. Market value ~$15,000 ( * = yes, I know it is 220,000 aeroplan points).
YYZ-SYD in J x 1 person. Market value ~$13,000 (and still have 40,000 aeroplan points remaining)
YYZ-HKG in J x 1 person. Market value ~$8000 (and still have 50,000 aeroplan points remaining for YYZ-YVR in J at ~$4000)
YYZ-YVR in J x 4 people. Market value ~$16,000

So for me, it has been acceptable to take the aeroplan points, get the equivalent of a 5-figure "compensation" you are advocating for, and keep flying paid J with the risk of a deflated seat. Though I must say that my percentage of deflated seats in the last 6 months is down to around 30% as I've only had 2 deflated since mid-March while still flying every week.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:31 am
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 28, 2020 at 6:35 pm
Old May 3, 2019, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Put it in a different perspective. I've had ~10 deflated seats in the last 6 months. Haven't kept track of the total compensation but given most were YYZ-HKG/SYD with a smattering of YYZ-LHR/FRA, let's say I've gotten ~200,000 aeroplan points.
What will 200,000 aeroplan points get you?

YYZ-LHR in J x 2* people. Market value ~$15,000 ( * = yes, I know it is 220,000 aeroplan points).
YYZ-SYD in J x 1 person. Market value ~$13,000 (and still have 40,000 aeroplan points remaining)
YYZ-HKG in J x 1 person. Market value ~$8000 (and still have 50,000 aeroplan points remaining for YYZ-YVR in J at ~$4000)
YYZ-YVR in J x 4 people. Market value ~$16,000

So for me, it has been acceptable to take the aeroplan points, get the equivalent of a 5-figure "compensation" you are advocating for, and keep flying paid J with the risk of a deflated seat. Though I must say that my percentage of deflated seats in the last 6 months is down to around 30% as I've only had 2 deflated since mid-March while still flying every week.
I don't like your numbers. I have regularly purchased J on YYZ-YVR for far less than $4000.

And assuming you're SE, points let you book roughly R space. Those dollar figures look like they're getting you Z, if not D, which has drastically different availability.

I've been happy with my compensation (again noting that none of my "expensive" tickets had issues, only the cheap ones), but in no way do I value 1 Aeroplan mile at even 5 cents, which is less than most of your numbers.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:14 am
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 28, 2020 at 6:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.