Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:54 pm Reason: sp. error
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:04 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:55 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by skybluesea
MONTREAL, April 8, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today launched an expansive multi-media advertising campaign to showcase for customers the industry leading attributes and benefits of its award-winning, North America Business Class service and its commitment to customer service excellence. The campaign is set to run until June 2, including a three-week television component starting today to coincide with the beginning of the NHL playoffs.

"Air Canada's North America Business Class offers customers unmatched services and amenities that deliver on and even anticipate their expectations. This campaign will reinforce how our employees strive to earn our customers' loyalty each day by providing a superior travel experience through customer service excellence, while also highlighting the very real benefits to their businesses of choosing Air Canada Business Class," said Andrew Shibata, Managing Director of Brand at Air Canada.
I don't think "North America Business Class" is ever used to refer to deflatable seats. I'm pretty sure they'd call it Signature Class (on routes where it's supported), or make no mention of a lie-flat seats (as was the case in that press release).

If you can find one for international business class, however...
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:33 pm
Suspended

delete

Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The award follows Air Canada's unveiling last year of the Air Canada Signature Class, the premium cabin of its wide-body aircraft featuring lie-flat seats. Available for international customers and on select North American flights, this service makes Air Canada the first North American airline to designate aircraft with lie-flat seats for premium customers on transcontinental flights within Canada and to the U.S., including overnight daily flights from Vancouver, Los Angeles and San Francisco to Toronto.
I have some bigger issues with that statement. I can think of at least 4 other airlines that "designate aircraft with lie-flat seats for premium customers on transcontinental flights". Though I suppose they're not "within Canada and to the U.S."

But then that's like adding "I'm the smartest UW grad who currently works at my current employer, and previously worked at my former employer." to my LinkedIn profile. It's technically true, but provides no information that isn't already on the page.
D582 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
I feel like this problem is getting worse.
I think about 25% of my flights now I've had issues where the seat has deflated!
They need to find a REAL solution to this problem.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:11 pm
Suspended

delete

Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Some posts are identifying 50-75% failure rates.

Curious, what action do you plan to take with AC?

Always helpful to know what others are doing to encourage "REAL" solutions.
Just be cautious with confirmation bias when estimating the scope of the impact. I suspect that almost every time someone from FT has a problem with a flat seat, they will report it here - but when they have a flight with a properly inflated seat, then it simply doesn't get reported.

I flew YYZ-FCO on Sunday (curiously, @skybluesea, that was on a 777, not the 330 you'd predicted), and the seat was fine. I can't claim to have conducted a proper survey, but there was no obvious or external indication of any failures on any of the other seats, either.

Now perhaps I'm just super lucky, or perhaps the fact that I'm carrying an inflatable mattress with me, wards off the evil seat demons ... but to date, my rate of failures experienced remains stubbornly stuck at 0%.

Once again, I'm not disputing that a problem exists. I am, however, very skeptical that the failure rate is 50% or above.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canopus27
Once again, I'm not disputing that a problem exists. I am, however, very skeptical that the failure rate is 50% or above.
Fleet-wide, I would agree that failure rate is less than 50%.

For me personally since December 08, 2018, I am currently sitting at 50% failure (8/16 flights). Between December 08, 2018 and March 07, 2019, I was as high as 64% failure (7/11 flights).

According to my records, between Sept 24, 2017 to current, I have experienced 20 deflated seats.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Just be cautious with confirmation bias when estimating the scope of the impact. I suspect that almost every time someone from FT has a problem with a flat seat, they will report it here - but when they have a flight with a properly inflated seat, then it simply doesn't get reported.

I flew YYZ-FCO on Sunday (curiously, @skybluesea, that was on a 777, not the 330 you'd predicted), and the seat was fine. I can't claim to have conducted a proper survey, but there was no obvious or external indication of any failures on any of the other seats, either.

Now perhaps I'm just super lucky, or perhaps the fact that I'm carrying an inflatable mattress with me, wards off the evil seat demons ... but to date, my rate of failures experienced remains stubbornly stuck at 0%.

I must be very lucky as well. Have not had a seat deflation on at least the last dozen flights. At least none that have been brought to my attention. In fact the only issue has been a blank hand-held IFE device, which was successfully rebooted after a quick reset yesterday.
canopus27 likes this.

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; Apr 10, 2019 at 5:30 am
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: None no more
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
I must be very lucky as well. Have not had a seat deflation on at least the last dozen flights. At least none that have been brought to my attention. In fact the only issue has been a blank hand-held IFE device, which was successfully rebooted after a quick reset yesterday.
I fly to Brazil, there are alot of Brazilians in business, AC91Monday I moved from my deflated seat. I was wondering, at the time, how many Brazilians would be aware if their seat was problematic or would bring it to the attention of the crew if they thought something was not right.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Fleet-wide, I would agree that failure rate is less than 50%.

For me personally since December 08, 2018, I am currently sitting at 50% failure (8/16 flights). Between December 08, 2018 and March 07, 2019, I was as high as 64% failure (7/11 flights).

According to my records, between Sept 24, 2017 to current, I have experienced 20 deflated seats.
Yeah, that would suck.

I need to dig through my records and see how many upgrades & paid J's on inflatable seats I've had in the past ~18 months .... but my gut feel is that it's between 25-30. And to date, neither I nor anyone I've traveled with, has had a single problem.

I guess it's lucky to be me
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Between my wife and I, we hd precisely one occurrence. Checking my spreadsheet, we had something like ten flights each on a 777 or 787 since Jan. 2018.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Yeah, that would suck.

I need to dig through my records and see how many upgrades & paid J's on inflatable seats I've had in the past ~18 months .... but my gut feel is that it's between 25-30. And to date, neither I nor anyone I've traveled with, has had a single problem.

I guess it's lucky to be me
I used to believe I was one lucky dude who had flown more than 100 times in J pods without suffering a deflated seat.

Then came one TPAC flight this year where I REALLY noticed a complete deflation because I woke up to a bad hip pain.

Finally knowing what a deflated seat is supposed to feel like, I realized I had sat in deflated seats several times before without realizing.

Having trained my body over the years to be able to sleep through any condition and on uncomfortable surfaces, I was actually more disappointed that I got soft than the deflated seat itself.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:24 am
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.