Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
The gist of this thread is that if you board while waiting for an upgrade, and someone no-shows for J, there is a decent chance the agent will not come on to upgrade you. There are no guarantees either way though.
Print Wikipost

YBYL (You Board You Lose) on AC?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So not only YBYL, but now it's also Gate Late You Lose (GLYL).
Yes. A thousand times yes.

Oh, I was so grumpy when it happened. I was at the airport (AUS) way early anyway, I was just killing time in the lounge - and the flight was J6 R6 Y0, so I knew it was way overbooked, and as an SEMM I was looking forward to some onboard space & wine & pampering ...

But when I got to the gate, (intentionally at flight close minus 45 mins) and politely asked about oversell upgrades, I was told (quite rudely) to "sit down, we've given all the upgrades out".

#grrrrr
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by KenHamer
YBYL applies to all AC flights no matter how full.
I agree with this. I don't believe I've EVER been upgraded on board with AC. With UA, it is standard operating procedure and I've experienced this. However I did see an AC on board upgrade happen to another PAX that was a flight attendant, despite me checking with the gate agent. I wrote in to complain since someone on the upgrade list (myself SE or another SE) should have been upgraded. I recieved an apology & compensation for being by-passed for the employee buddy upgrade. Incidentally, I never saw that gate agent again after this indicent. So in my opinion, YBYL does apply to AC.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YVR guy
I agree with this. I don't believe I've EVER been upgraded on board with AC. With UA, it is standard operating procedure and I've experienced this. However I did see an AC on board upgrade happen to another PAX that was a flight attendant, despite me checking with the gate agent. I wrote in to complain since someone on the upgrade list (myself SE or another SE) should have been upgraded. I recieved an apology & compensation for being by-passed for the employee buddy upgrade. Incidentally, I never saw that gate agent again after this indicent. So in my opinion, YBYL does apply to AC.
I think you missed the classic KH sarcasm.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:45 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
A lot of people usually do!
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Back in the paper cert days, the GA came on board on my GRU-YYZ flight and upgraded me and another passenger. You had to produce the cert before she would hand you the new BP.

I have also received W&B upgrades on the E75 after boarding once or twice.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: AC100K MM, IHG Spire, Mariott Bonvoy lifetime titanium
In the past 5 years of flying mostly YYZ - YHZ ( about 100 flight per year) I was upgraded twice after boarding. Now I am wondering how many times I was subjected to YBYL
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canopus27
Yes. A thousand times yes.

Oh, I was so grumpy when it happened. I was at the airport (AUS) way early anyway, I was just killing time in the lounge - and the flight was J6 R6 Y0, so I knew it was way overbooked, and as an SEMM I was looking forward to some onboard space & wine & pampering ...

But when I got to the gate, (intentionally at flight close minus 45 mins) and politely asked about oversell upgrades, I was told (quite rudely) to "sit down, we've given all the upgrades out".

#grrrrr
So just to be clear, after you were rudely slammed by the GA, you simply obeyed and followed up later by communication (email, carrier pigeon, teleportation, etc.) with Air Canada? You then received a response indicating what you noted?

I would like to know whether this Gate Late You Lose thing is actual protocol. Did the GA explain that they had actually called your name and you weren't there, and that they had a IDGAF attitude and just gave the upgrades to others? Or in the rare instance, were the upgrades given to all SEMMs on a higher coach fare than you?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
So just to be clear, after you were rudely slammed by the GA, you simply obeyed and followed up later by communication (email, carrier pigeon, teleportation, etc.) with Air Canada? You then received a response indicating what you noted?
Yes.

I would like to know whether this Gate Late You Lose thing is actual protocol. Did the GA explain that they had actually called your name and you weren't there, and that they had a IDGAF attitude and just gave the upgrades to others?
No, the GA had no time for me at all ... was not interested in explaining any details, simply repeating that all the upgrades had been given out. I did say "because I'm an SEMM, and I usually get one of them", but all I got was the same reply ("they're all gone") repeated back to me.

My follow up from AC was polite & apologetic ... but also made it clear that the GA had done nothing wrong re: giving out the upgrades to other people. My question was pretty clear ... either the GA had executed the wrong procedure, in which case I was reporting it ... or I didn't understand the procedures correctly, in which case could you educate me about that.

The answer was - the later. Courtesy upgrades are generally given out to top-tiers ... but that's a guideline, not a rule, and GA's can skip over people who are not there "in the interests of expediency". Lesson learned.

I didn't bother highlighting the GA's attitude to AC ... these were non-AC contractors who clearly DGAF, and - meh, whatever. I was not at all impressed (in fact I was grumpy enough to take pictures - of the agents, and board showing what time I'd arrived at the gate) ... but I was more upset about the upgrade part than the GA's attitude, and causing a scene was not going to help.

Or in the rare instance, were the upgrades given to all SEMMs on a higher coach fare than you?
Nope.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Yes I realize Ken's intention was to be sarcastic... but in this instance I felt his comment was also actually factual.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by D582
Flying YVR-YYZ earlier this year, I was #1 on the list when I boarded (and they announced J was full). The gate agent later came on and upgraded me when there was a no-show.
I had the identical experience in September YYZ-YYC. I tried to upgrade both me and my daughter, only mine cleared but she was #1 on the list. There was a last-minute no show and they moved her up next to me well after we had boarded, just before door closed.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:28 pm

Based on what most people have said, I think the correct title should be CBCL
Old Nov 18, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
My experience has been that it depends on where you are.

The worst, by far, are the non-AC contracted personnel who I have witnessed (as I was on the receiving end) downgrading a paid J passenger only to upgrade a random passenger in Y because the Y cabin was now "oversold". While this was remedied by Air Canada later I was left with the impression this was common. The contracted stations make up the rules as they see fit.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Cow Boards Cow Loses?

Peter Block Peter Licks?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Huh? I gave up my seat. Number one on the list lost out, but I certainly did not.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:00 am

Cow Boards Cow Loses?
^ This.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Huh? I gave up my seat. Number one on the list lost out, but I certainly did not.
But you would have if you boarded.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.