FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   CAD$100 for seat to sit with wife in bassinet row (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1877772-cad-100-seat-sit-wife-bassinet-row.html)

mikk13 Nov 15, 2017 4:10 pm

CAD$100 for seat to sit with wife in bassinet row

I just tried to reserve the bassinet for our up coming flight.

The options offered were;

1. Wife can sit in seat with Bassinet for free, but husband would have to sit 5 rows back

or;

2. Pay 100cad each way to sit together with Bassinet.

This is my first trip with AC and I thought I would give them a try TATL. I might as well fly wow air next time.

YEG_SE4Life Nov 15, 2017 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by mikk13 (Post 29065046)
I just tried to reserve the bassinet for our up coming flight.

The options offered were;

1. Wife can sit in seat with Bassinet for free, but husband would have to sit 5 rows back

or;

2. Pay 100cad each way to sit together with Bassinet.

This is my first trip with AC and I thought I would give them a try TATL. I might as well fly wow air next time.

I don't completely understand how the bassinet pricing works. I am wondering, though; are you saying that you purchased a fare that did not include advance seat assignment, and now you are upset because the airline wants to charge you for an advance seat assignment?

Stranger Nov 15, 2017 4:19 pm

Perhaps they are travelling with an infant? But the OP doesn't really say...

davistev Nov 15, 2017 4:21 pm

That is just Air Canada trying to get more $$ out of you. Certainly, other airlines will (Qantas thumbs up) will seat the entire family together in the Bassinet row if you have a baby and not split you up. When you check in, just ask the agent to seat you guys together.

YEG_SE4Life Nov 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 29065068)
Perhaps they are travelling with an infant? But the OP doesn't really say...

He seems to imply that the wife will be sitting in it. :)

Stranger Nov 15, 2017 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life (Post 29065082)
He seems to imply that the wife will be sitting in it. :)

That was my first thought also. :-)

Seems if she has a lap infant, she gets a free preferred seat but he does not. A bit greedy, no? Getting something for nothing, no Sir, not with AC.

jc94 Nov 15, 2017 4:38 pm

H bassinet rows are (almost?) always preferred seating which is $100 unless you have status on a TATL flight.

I'm amazed AC offers it for free to even one parent.

While say PY is something a lot more than Y if you are checking 2 bags and want a preferred seat ... without status that's $400 for a return. Potentially more on a long haul NA trip where even bag one has a coat. TPAC... yeouch.

Welcome to the 21st century of air travel.

mikk13 Nov 15, 2017 4:42 pm

Obviously we are traveling with our child. I didn't post that because I thought that was obvious.

Yes air Canada insists that to use the bassinet seats one person gets it for free, but you have to pay for the rest of the family.

​​​​​​They should make it clear on the bassinet information page if this is their policy. It would then give families an opportunity to make a better choice, fly with KLM.

Stranger Nov 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by mikk13 (Post 29065134)

Yes air Canada insists that to use the bassinet seats one person gets it for free, but you have to pay for the rest of the family.

Doesn't that sound quite generous though?

jc94 Nov 15, 2017 4:54 pm

Obviously we are traveling with our child. I didn't post that because I thought that was obvious.

​​​​​​They should make it clear on the bassinet information page if this is their policy. It would then give families an opportunity to make a better choice, fly with KLM.

The fact that this isn't clear, assuming it's one PNR, this I agree with actually. I'm assuming you booked Tango too hence no prior seat selection. You can try calling asking where this cost/policy is listed because if it's not... you may get lucky.

fwiw I couldn't find it on a quick look.

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 29065158)
Doesn't that sound quite generous though?

It does... but only if it's listed in the small print.

MQS007 Nov 15, 2017 4:57 pm

The rest of us pay the $100 for the bulkhead for the extra leg room, so you are getting a $100 freebee if they give you one without charge.

hazcaddy Nov 15, 2017 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by MQS007 (Post 29065171)
The rest of us pay the $100 for the bulkhead for the extra leg room.

The reason I wouldn't pay $100 for a bassinet row is not just the lack of back-of-seat stowage or the sometimes strange AVOD configurations on various aircraft types, but the fact that many other pax (if there isn't a bassinet there) seem to consider this extra legroom as their God-given personal path to get from the port aisle to the starboard aisle or v.v., no matter that your legs are in the way.

garykung Nov 15, 2017 5:42 pm

FWIW - OP is still the one to be blamed here.

Regardless - OP could have called AC before purchasing the tickets for the situation. While OP may disagree with AC's policy, OP could choose not to travel with AC. And yet, OP blamed AC when AC has done apparently wrong.

OP should learn his lesson and move on.

YEG_SE4Life Nov 15, 2017 6:06 pm

I think you missed the humour.

YEG_SE4Life Nov 15, 2017 6:19 pm

So, I am curious. When you purchased your seats, did you know that they did not include advance seat selection? If so, what is it you saw on the Bassinet page that made you think this would not apply? When I read the bassinet page, it actually doesn't say anything about anyone being assigned a seat next to the bassinet. Are you saying that, when writing the bassinet page, the airline should assume that everyone will believe that the rules of the ticket they purchase won't apply for them or any family members that they are traveling with, because they are traveling with an infant?