Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CAD$100 for seat to sit with wife in bassinet row

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CAD$100 for seat to sit with wife in bassinet row

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:11 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Why should any airline give some of the best seats in coach away free just because somebody chose to have a baby and is flying with it without even paying for a ticket for it?

Being a parent gives you responsibilities, not rights.

Pay the fee for yourself and be very grateful they gave you one for free already.
Dorian, RangerNS and YEGcg like this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by C W
Why should any airline give some of the best seats in coach away free just because somebody chose to have a baby and is flying with it without even paying for a ticket for it?

Pay the fee for yourself and be very grateful they gave you one for free already.
Amen.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikk13
It would then give families an opportunity to make a better choice, fly with KLM.
You sure KLM isn't even more stingy than AC? :-)
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
You want the bulkhead seat? Pay for the bulkhead seat, like the rest of us!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:22 pm

AC won't work confirm bassinet until time of departure. It's practically the opposite of seat selection. How on Earth is someone supposed to make such a booking to guarantee you won't get split up? Nor does the "travelling with children" web page say anything about "one adult 'free', others must pay premium seat fee". Or that bassinet-facing seats are "premium".

I don't blame customers for being confused! You want customers to fork over more cash? Better be clearer about it in advance.

Edit: ok sounds like reservations agent was clear. But web page sucks. *sigh*
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by 28isGreat
AC won't work confirm bassinet until time of departure. It's practically the opposite of seat selection. How on Earth is someone supposed to make such a booking to guarantee you won't get split up? Nor does the "travelling with children" web page say anything about "one adult 'free', others must pay premium seat fee". Or that bassinet-facing seats are "premium".
In my mind, the point is that, when op purchased a ticket that did not include seat assignment, he made a decision that he did not require a seat with his wife. When the couple made arrangements for the bassinet, A.C. decided one of the parents should sit with the bassinet, because it is necessary. It is not necessary to seat both parents there, especially when they demonstrated, at time of purchase, that it wasn't important. In most aspects of life, if something is important to me, I pay for It. If the cost makes it not worth while, I am the one who balances and lives with the decision.
jc94, ACflyerDE and RangerNS like this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W

There seems to be an assumption that I did not pay for the seat. There is also the assumption that I booked the ticket via the AC web page- actually it was booked via expedia.

In fact I actually booked three seats for this flight with the expectation that it may not be possible to have a bassinet- as stated on their webpage.

Do you actually suggest that some one flying with a LAP infant should pay more than you- esp when they only use one seat. You have one seat- they have one seat. You pay less.

What gives you the right to pay less for your seat because you chose not to have children?

This policy is about money gouging families. That is my issue with it. Make it clear on the web page and then all is fair.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
So, I am curious. When you purchased your seats, did you know that they did not include advance seat selection? If so, what is it you saw on the Bassinet page that made you think this would not apply? When I read the bassinet page, it actually doesn't say anything about anyone being assigned a seat next to the bassinet. Are you saying that, when writing the bassinet page, the airline should assume that everyone will believe that the rules of the ticket they purchase won't apply for them or any family members that they are traveling with, because they are traveling with an infant?
In the OP's defence, he doesn't say if he purchased Tango or not; he could well have purchased Flex, which clearly states that seat selection is included. The problem is that AC has decided that the only row where you can place a bassinet, also happens to be a premium row which they charge a surcharge for. Thus, if a family don't particularly care about premium seats, but they do want to sit together (and they paid for Flex to get that) ... nowhere on the AC website does it state that a bassinet can only located in a premium row and an additional premium charge will then apply for other family members.

So I do have some sympathy.
smallmj, jc94 and MasterGeek like this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - OP is still the one to be blamed here.

Regardless - OP could have called AC before purchasing the tickets for the situation. While OP may disagree with AC's policy, OP could choose not to travel with AC. And yet, OP blamed AC when AC has done apparently wrong.

OP should learn his lesson and move on.
I don't see how the OP is to be "blamed" here. I don't blame the OP for wanting to sit beside his wife and I don't blame him for wanting to not pay for the privilege. If everyone on FT got blamed for wanting something for nothing, this would be a pretty ghastly place. Nor do I blame AC for charging a second parent for the use of a second premium seat (kudos for making the first one "free") or for not having things explained in excruciating detail on Expedia's web site where the OP made his booking.

There seems to be an assumption that I did not pay for the seat. There is also the assumption that I booked the ticket via the AC web page- actually it was booked via expedia.

In fact I actually booked three seats for this flight with the expectation that it may not be possible to have a bassinet- as stated on their webpage.

Do you actually suggest that some one flying with a LAP infant should pay more than you- esp when they only use one seat. You have one seat- they have one seat. You pay less.

What gives you the right to pay less for your seat because you chose not to have children?

This policy is about money gouging families. That is my issue with it. Make it clear on the web page and then all is fair.
Although AC does not charge for use of a bassinet, I would actually have no problem with them offering the parent the option of keeping their infant on their lap overnight for free (ugh) or paying the $100 per person premium seat fee that would allow for the use of a bassinet. I suspect the reason they don't charge is there would be hell to pay via social media and the CBC if a customer ever paid the premium fee for use of a bassinet and then due to equipment swap, IT glitch or over-entitled SE convincing an unsuspecting Concierge to do a switcheroo that "paid for" bassinet seat suddenly disappeared.

From time to time we get people here who didn't want to pay extra for seat selection to assure that they sit together complaining when families are split up. It's pretty much the same thing. If you want to ensure you sit together, the reality of 21st century air travel is you suck it up and pay the extra fee.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: UA, AA
Free lap children seems generous enough, even before giving up premium space for free to let the parent put the kid off-lap. Buy the kid a seat and fly safer.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by welltended
Free lap children seems generous enough, even before giving up premium space for free to let the parent put the kid off-lap. Buy the kid a seat and fly safer.
I guess it's ok on a short 1h hop but on any flight longer than that, I couldn't agree more - buy the kid a seat.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
This is my first trip with AC and I thought I would give them a try TATL..
And hopefully you've learned your lesson, and it will be the last.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
For my seat? Nothing. I can assure you that Air Canada has never once asked me about things I'm not doing outside of my relationship with them. For the seat (or bassinet) of my non-existent child? You paid $100 for it! You do understand that using a service would require spending money...

But:

Ok. That is much easier. Air Canada doesn't make any effort to group people on the same ticket, be it families or unrelated adults, except for very specific companion type situations. One companion.. If you want to choose your seats: pay the higher fair, pay for that line-item privilege (or have status).
Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by canopus27
In the OP's defence, he doesn't say if he purchased Tango or not; he could well have purchased Flex, which clearly states that seat selection is included. The problem is that AC has decided that the only row where you can place a bassinet, also happens to be a premium row which they charge a surcharge for. Thus, if a family don't particularly care about premium seats, but they do want to sit together (and they paid for Flex to get that) ... nowhere on the AC website does it state that a bassinet can only located in a premium row and an additional premium charge will then apply for other family members.

So I do have some sympathy.
And, if I made a wrong assumption, then I agree with you.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
And, if I made a wrong assumption, then I agree with you.
Stop being so damn agreeable! That's not how the internet works
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.