Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada 777 at Melbourne, Florida; anyone know what it's doing here?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada 777 at Melbourne, Florida; anyone know what it's doing here?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Which we already knew as these are already scheduled on DUB, SNN, and KEF.
Correct. Sorry if that was written in a way that proposed it was new information. Was just trying to show OP that it isn't all 'awesome'.
ChrisA330 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
Originally Posted by eracerblue
Great sleuthing.

Anyone know of this is 2Ku tech, or something else?

Every AC flight I've taken with wifi, connectivity has been abysmal. One United flight a year ago was amazing (I feel like it was not Gogo IIRC)
Most United planes use Panasonic which I've always experienced much better performance than with Gogo, even with 2Ku.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Won't everyone be happy?
Originally Posted by vernonc
Well technically I use my flights to catch up on stuff. If I have wifi then everyone expects instant responses. I find that if I leave stuff alone, everyone responds, argues/collaborates and solves the problem instead of waiting for me :-)
I'm sorta with with vernonc. Yes, there are times when not having internet during a long flight is annoying. But by and large in my work I find it helpful that people know I'm on planes a lot, and that on planes one is often disconnected. Therefore when I don't answer instantly, they assume that's quite likely the case, even if it's actually that I merely choose to parcel out my time and not answer every email within minutes if I'm doing something that requires real thought. So I'm not convinced that widespread wifi on longhaul flights will be all rainbows and ponies.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by montrealer
I'm sorta with with vernonc. Yes, there are times when not having internet during a long flight is annoying. But by and large in my work I find it helpful that people know I'm on planes a lot, and that on planes one is often disconnected. Therefore when I don't answer instantly, they assume that's quite likely the case, even if it's actually that I merely choose to parcel out my time and not answer every email within minutes if I'm doing something that requires real thought. So I'm not convinced that widespread wifi on longhaul flights will be all rainbows and ponies.
I have two colleagues that will only travel on ULH flights on weekends due to lack of inflight connectivity out of YVR on most carriers. This makes their trips 'too long' by 1-3 days.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:35 pm

Why can't the manufacturer offer to install the wifi system while building the planes? Is it that it would slow down production or they don't have contacts with the wifi producer to install the systems?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Won't everyone be happy?

If they have it installed on some planes, I wonder if it's turned on at all?

Or are they waiting for critical mass before enabling it?

I'm flying a 777 this weekend
I'm not happy until Peever is happy.

Peever for king!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, *G, WS-Gold, Nexus, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Seriously? I’m no aircraft technician, but is it really cheaper to fly the airplane to the installers, instead of flying the installers to the airplane?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by TravellingGypsy
Seriously? I’m no aircraft technician, but is it really cheaper to fly the airplane to the installers, instead of flying the installers to the airplane?
Yes.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
It's not as simple as that time you asked the Geeksquad boy over to set up home wifi.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Do you take your car to the mechanic, or does the mechanic come to your house?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, *G, WS-Gold, Nexus, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Does your mechanic work >2,100km away from where you keep your car?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
I’m no aircraft technician, but is it really cheaper to fly the airplane to the installers, instead of flying the installers to the airplane?
Of course it's cheaper to fly the tech to the airplane. But then you have to fly the other couple dozen techs, all their tools, manuals, testing equipment, house and feed them for the duration and build them a hangar in which they can go about their install work.

Maybe that ferry flight isn't that expensive after all.

Originally Posted by Dorian
Awesome only for the widebodies.

For the 7M8 it means these things are going to be sent over oceans, reducing comfort levels to distant destinations.
Being subjected to flights of any duration inside a 737 is a purely voluntary endeavour.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer

Being subjected to flights of any duration inside a 737 is a purely voluntary endeavour.
I would think you mean in Y on an AC-configured one, no?

Arguably precisely what AC wants.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Of course it's cheaper to fly the tech to the airplane. But then you have to fly the other couple dozen techs, all their tools, manuals, testing equipment, house and feed them for the duration and build them a hangar in which they can go about their install work.

You're forgetting about a few more things:

- No STC holder in Canada
- Work visa's that would be required for the techs - as there are no Canadian qualified techs.
- The techs would need to obtain TCCA AME certification
- Current AME's and their unions would be crying foul over bringing in foreign techs (if that were even permitted) instead of having local AME's trained and certified for the work.

Since this is a one-shot install, there is little financial reason for AC to go through the hassle, time and expense to obtain the STC and train their AME's for the Wi-Fi install that would never be done again.

There are reasons why AMO/MRO's specialize in certain types of STC work - it's cheaper to have these types of one-off STC work done my an AMO/MRO instead of by the operator maintenance organization.

Operator maintenance organizations are great for performing regular maintenance on their aircraft, AMO/MRO's are great for one-off and irregular specialized maintenance and STC activities.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Depends upon the service requirement and the vehicle. I know of Rolls Royce and Bentley servicing that is done at the owner's location. CAA members can have a service vehicle come to them, and many auto manufacturers offer roadside assistance.

makes me ponder the cost. It isn't that long a flight is it? 3-4 hours at a fuel and staffing cost* of under $12,000 per hour. (* wages of 2 pilots, return airfare, lodging, meals). I expect the cost of ferrying is probably less than $80,000. Just my rough estimate. Must be sort of spooky, flying an empty wide body like that. No FA to give a cheerful howdy and offer a coffee or to advise that the SE in 1A is complaining again about the lack of coke to go with his rum and that he's going to hold his breath until he turns blue if they try to pass off President's Choice Cola "diet" cola as diet Coke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.