Wiki Posts
Search

10% off AC Gift Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
10% off the giftcard is like a 15-75% discount code, depending on the base fare!

Any word on Western Canada?
How can it be a 75% or even a 25% discount ?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
How can it be a 75% or even a 25% discount ?
I'm not sure about 75%, but here's a 50% example. I did a random search for a tango flight from YUL-> CDG and the base fare was $150, which jumps to $763 with fees and taxes. Paying for that with gift cards would get 10% off the total for savings of $76, which is more than a 50% discount off the base fare of $150.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:24 am

Any active AC promo codes out there right now?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:29 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Aren't there annual threads about how much of a nightmare it is to use these, agents at airports are clueless, etc.

A good deal if I am hallucinating these things as usual.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:32 am

From the Air Canada Gift Card faqs...

What can I purchase with my Air Canada Gift Card?

When redeemed online at aircanada.com, at the airport*, with your travel agent or by calling Air Canada Reservations**, Air Canada Gift Cards can be used to purchase a flight, and to pay for a variety of travel options, fees and services***, including:
  • seat selection
  • change fees
  • Last-minute upgrades at the airport within the check-in period,
  • additional checked baggage fees
  • pet handling fees
  • unaccompanied minor fees

At this time, the Air Canada Gift card cannot be used toward the payment of:
  • Air Canada Vacations packages
  • onboard purchases (e.g. headsets, beverages, duty-free items)
  • Aeroplan or other reward travel tickets
  • Air Canada Cargo products and services
  • tickets purchased as part of a group booking
  • hotel reservations, car rentals or RBC travel insurance
  • another gift card
  • a Flight Pass purchase
  • Air Canada Maple Leaf Club membership fees

* eGift Cards cannot be used at airport counters.
** There are no Call Centre booking fees when you book a flight through Air Canada Reservations.
*** Air Canada Gift Cards cannot be used to pay for any fees or upgrades during the online, mobile or self-service kiosk check-in process.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Plumber
From AC.com FAQs:

How many Air Canada Gift Cards can I use per transaction or purchase?
For ticket purchases, you can use up to two (2) gift cards provided that the total cost of the ticket purchase is covered fully by the (2) two gift cards.

Unfortunately, because of system limitations, when purchasing a seat or travel option for an existing reservation, only one (1) form of payment will be accepted. If the gift card has a working balance lower than the cost of the fee or travel option, please pay with another form of payment. However, we will be able to apply the credit from your card and effect a refund following these instructions: After the transaction, you can complete the Customer Assistance Form which may not meet accessibility guidelines., provide the proof of used form of payment and include the details of the unused Air Canada Gift Card or eGift Card to receive a refund of the applicable value to your original form of payment.

For purchases involving multiple passengers/gift cards, it is advisable to make separate bookings. In this situation, customers can use up to two Gift Cards per passenger provided that the total cost of the ticket purchase is covered fully by the (2) two gift cards.

It is also important to know that you cannot consolidate the value of multiple gift cards onto a single one.

From AC.com Gift Card Terms & Conditions:
Due to system limitations, we regret that a maximum of two (2) forms of payment is permitted on a single booking at time of purchase. When purchasing a seat or travel option for an existing reservation, only one (1) form of payment can be accepted at time of purchase.
Just to make sure their IT inconveniences everyone, without limitation.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Aren't there annual threads about how much of a nightmare it is to use these, agents at airports are clueless, etc.

A good deal if I am hallucinating these things as usual.
Agreed. I started this thread because it may be of value for someone. But personally, it would have to be more than 10% savings for me to bother trying to navigate all the restrictions.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
And do not throw out that gift card even after you've used it! If you need any kind of a refund, it will take a Herculean effort to get reimbursed if you don't have the gift card number.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Does anyone know if AC allows the use of promo codes along with giftcard. I got a couple 15% off coupon in hand thanks to AC snafus over the last year.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
Amex Plat used to provide this, but they changed. Now they require a portion be paid. No good for ground travel to the US any more, for example, though I could try to argue that paying for the gas on the car counts! After the change I ended up buying CAA annual travel insurance.

Unfortunately the store locator says that the nearest Sobeys is several hundred km away over the ocean and over the mountains!

Dr. PITUK
Try at Thrifty Foods - they're owned by Sobeys.
Another poster mentioned that they're also available at Safeway, which is also a Sobeys brand.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Just to make sure their IT inconveniences everyone, without limitation.
Yes AC is an equal opportunities provider. Two forms of payment, max two cards? No other company (well maybe other airlines) could get away with it. I've processed customers paying by cheque, cash, two cards and far more than two gift cards when I worked in the retail sector many years ago.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Does anyone know if AC allows the use of promo codes along with giftcard. I got a couple 15% off coupon in hand thanks to AC snafus over the last year.
Yes - gift cards are treated like cash and don't affect coupon codes or AQD earning.

Anyone know if gift cards can be used to pay eUp add-ons?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
Try at Thrifty Foods - they're owned by Sobeys.
Another poster mentioned that they're also available at Safeway, which is also a Sobeys brand.
Thanks! I'll stop in tomorrow.

Dr. PITUK
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by hydrogen
Some scotiabank cards (if I remember correctly) require 75%+ on the card. But rbc and Amex seem to require 100% &#12 8577;
But Post #12 (below) specifically reported that some "higher end" cards do not require one to pay with their cards at all in order to get coverage.

The only "coverage" that I am aware that does not require a purchase by a Canadian FI issued credit card is out-of-province medical, and even that is subject to certain eligibility limitations.

Originally Posted by B407
The lower end credit cards will have this stipulation but the higher end ones typically won't. Many of the higher end ones don't even require you to pay with their card at all.

Last edited by Clipper801; Nov 10, 2017 at 7:45 am
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Can these gift cards be used to pay things like change fees on AC or taxes on AE tickets?

I presume they can be used with a promotional code since they are just a form of payment.

TIA
No, AC Gift Card may not be used to pay for Aeroplan or other reward travel ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.