Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC creates poutine pop-up in London: 3-11 Nov

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

https://www.justopenedlondon.com/air...editch-london/

AC has created a poutine pop-up in London (Shoreditch area) from 3-11 November. I think they are trying to market using AC for travel to destinations within the Americas (not just Canada).
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:18 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I hope the food won't be as awful as what AC serves elsewhere.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:46 pm

Getting international customers used to paying AC for food?

The Damage:

Most poutines are Ł3.50 with the exception of the shellfish options which are Ł5 (crab) and Ł7.50 (lobster).

Maybe the Christmas video will contain scenes of people eating free poutine.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
I think it's great. A good way to sell the product and the country(ies) it serves.

A decade ago, Charmin had a free bathroom storefront in Times Square NYC. I found it very convenient, found Charmin very nice on my back side, and have purchased Charmin many times since. This promotion strategy can't be much different.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur
A decade ago, Charmin had a free bathroom storefront in Times Square NYC. I found it very convenient, found Charmin very nice on my back side, and have purchased Charmin many times since. This promotion strategy can't be much different.
Tell me you had to wear the bear suit.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur
The Charmin storefront in NYC presumably sold or gave away Charmin.

AC however, is not in the business of making nor of selling poutine. While the pop-up poutinery is arguably innovative and can likely create a bit of buzz, I'm not sure how selling fries with stuff on it sells airplane tickets just because there's an AC logo slapped on the box.

Now had the pop-up been in the shape of a 777 with 3x4x3 seating with a 31" seat pitch where patrons can sit down to eat their poutine, I might see a better connection. But that too might not have the desired effect of selling more airplane tickets.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by RCyyz
The Charmin storefront in NYC presumably sold or gave away Charmin.

AC however, is not in the business of making nor of selling poutine. While the pop-up poutinery is arguably innovative and can likely create a bit of buzz, I'm not sure how selling fries with stuff on it sells airplane tickets just because there's an AC logo slapped on the box.

Now had the pop-up been in the shape of a 777 with 3x4x3 seating with a 31" seat pitch where patrons can sit down to eat their poutine, I might see a better connection. But that too might not have the desired effect of selling more airplane tickets.
and if they are trying to sell routes to more than Canada, the poutine concept has no tie in.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by NoTravelIsFree
and if they are trying to sell routes to more than Canada, the poutine concept has no tie in.
Except that AC designed several poutines themed around places elsewhere in the Americas to which AC flies, e.g. CUN and EZE.

I'm sure there will be a route map showing how one can easily fly routes like LHR-YYZ-CUN.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: SE (1mln+), BA Bronze, Starwood Gold, Marriott Rewards, Fairmont President's Club
I intend to go to the AC Poutine pop-up tomorrow after work - just a few blocks north from where I work. I haven't been impressed with a lot of the so-called poutines in London so far but then again unless the curds are fresh from that day and from Quebec, most poutines just end up being cheezy fries. But I look forward to the AC pop-up experience. They should award Wings for every other! That would be a cool third EYW challenge!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Except that AC designed several poutines themed around places elsewhere in the Americas to which AC flies, e.g. CUN and EZE.

I'm sure there will be a route map showing how one can easily fly routes like LHR-YYZ-CUN.
Almost all the named routes may be easily reached nonstop from London, and it would require more than the queasy promise of gravy fries and rubbery curds for most travellers to consider a YYZ dogleg.

I sorta see the value of this popup if advertising Canada as a destination, but AC had better up their appeal if they want to siphon stopover business from carriers like Icelandair.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Will the poutine have smoked meat on it?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

Maybe ...although if Air Canada also served said poutine concoctions onboard en route to those destinations it might be worth connecting vs flying direct
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: SE (1mln+), BA Bronze, Starwood Gold, Marriott Rewards, Fairmont President's Club
So I went to try the 'poutine' (had the Montreal one) and it was pretty good although it did not contain any curds. The place was packed. One of the servers told me that they've been serving over 600 orders a day. They had run out of Okanagan wine - a pity indeed. I do agree that the promotion is a bit of an odd one although proceeds do go the Great Ormond Street Hospital in London. By the time I left the place at around 7 and a queue had formed outside. It ends on Saturday, so for anybody living in or visiting London, it may be worth a visit. Shoreditch is pretty cool neighbourhood as well.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Canuckoverseas
I do agree that the promotion is a bit of an odd one although proceeds do go the Great Ormond Street Hospital in London.
I'm all for creating a tasty way to contribute to a good cause. I hope it does well, and the queue sounds encouraging. Maybe AC will also gain a few new customers as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.