Change to MLL guest rules?

Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Change to MLL guest rules?

Arrived at YYZ Dom, with a friend, but we're leaving Pearson on separate flights.

Lounge agent at the Dom MLL chewed me out for attempting to bring in a guest who's not on the same departing flight as I am, as this is verboten.

I asked if this was a new rule, and she told me they'd just brought it in this week "to address the number of passengers who are... abusing the privilege."

So, is this a new and wholly unpublished rule, or did she just make this up on the spot?

I've also never before been ID'd when entering a lounge. Also new?

Last edited by YOWgary; Nov 2, 2017 at 7:27 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Sounds like an agent on a power trip. This is why I carry some MLL guest passes with me even though I am SE. When stuff like this happens, I just whip out one of the guest passes and drop it on the desk. I have no time nor patience for BS.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
The Domestic YYZ MLL is the worst there is
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
So, I went back after a while, and asked different desk staff about this.

Unanimous answer was that this has always been the rule, and agents usually just ignore it, but that a note had been circulated "from management" at YYZ to start cracking down, particularly citing the TB MLL as a problem area.

I asked if there was anything in writing about this; one agent scrolled through ACPedia for five or ten minutes and found nothing.

I don't particularly care about the rule, but getting yelled at for not following a rule that's never been published or communicated is a huge steaming pile of horse hockey.

Just glad it was a friend I was trying to guest in, not a client. That could have been embarrassing.
unclepants and canadiancow like this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC SE
it is not a rule Star gold guest privileges are that they are on same day *A flight.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: TK *G
If you have time, perhaps write in and see how AC respond?

This is not a rule from what I read and my experience, but just in case things just changed.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I had this happen once at a United Club, and the agent only relented after being unable to find any policy about.

It's a dumb rule, if true. I have often traveled with people where our final destinations were different.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Would be good to get clarification on this.

cc - I actually did this once for a similar occurrence for a United Club. I wound up getting an apology, and a clarification in writing. 6 months later they tried to do the same thing at a different club and I pulled up a print out of the letter. They weren't apologetic, but relented pretty quick.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by YOWgary

Just glad it was a friend I was trying to guest in, not a client. That could have been embarrassing.
Still embarrassing either way.

The rules are a little ambiguous everywhere about the guests, they just kinda don't say anything do they? As far as the main person coming in it's just any Rouge, AC, or other Star flight that day. So why can't my guest be under the same rules?

They wanna curb the number of people in the lounges, yet they give out so much access to it. Can't have your cake and eat it too. While I'm not trying to attack families either, I've seen multiple times where 1 person brings in 4 if I wasn't seeing things. Dad guests in mom and the 2 kids ride shotgun, gratis.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've requested clarification with a link to this thread.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I've seen multiple times where 1 person brings in 4 if I wasn't seeing things. Dad guests in mom and the 2 kids ride shotgun, gratis.
That is the way it is supposed to work in the MLL. I am entitled to bring in family members. I believe that, technically, they are supposed to be living in your household. You can bring family members and one guest. In fact, here is what is published on the AC website:

Your domestic partner, dependent children, as well as one guest are invited to join you at no charge.

And below that:

Kindly present a valid same-day ticket or boarding pass, for an eligible flight (as indicated above) for you and your guests. You may also be asked to present your Altitude membership card.

So, I would suggest that is the official rule.

Last edited by YEG_SE4Life; Nov 2, 2017 at 7:23 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Wings100
The Domestic YYZ MLL is the worst there is
Worst agents?
Worst food?
Worst overcrowding?
Worst condition of the furniture?
Worst elevator?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Worst agents?
Worst food?
Worst overcrowding?
Worst elevator?
And probably worst view.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Worst agents?
Worst food?
Worst overcrowding?
Worst elevator?
Best elevators actually. You can choose PY or J.
canadiancow and jasdou like this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by YYT82
Sounds like an agent on a power trip. This is why I carry some MLL guest passes with me even though I am SE. When stuff like this happens, I just whip out one of the guest passes and drop it on the desk. I have no time nor patience for BS.
I love this. It's unnecessary (that you should have to use a guest pass), but it must feel pretty good to shut down a lounge dragon!
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by Gig103; Nov 2, 2017 at 11:13 pm Reason: clarity

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.