Community
Wiki Posts
Search

search by aircraft type possible?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:47 am
Original Poster

search by aircraft type possible?

So Mrs. Groovejumper and I are planning a vacation for next summer, flights & hotels on points.

I'm trying to figure out the itinerary, we'll fly out of YYZ or YHM, first destination will be BCN or NCE. So - what I'm trying to do is figure out the outbound TATL segment - I want to fly J in a 788 or 789.

Is there a way to search for flights from YYZ or YUL (which we'd connect through if flying out of YHM, or even YYZ for that matter), to somewhere in Europe (if not BCN or NCE, somewhere where we can connect to one of those, via some star alliance partner in J), on a 788 or 789?

I started to do this on the AP site but after about 10 queries started to lose my sanity.

There must be an easier way to do this? Does expert flyer have an option like this?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AC SE
Ths can be done using ITA Matrix using routing code “/ aircraft t:” combined with the IATA aircraft code.

In your case, you can use “/ aircraft t:787” as the 787 code encompasses all sub-types.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:06 am

Aren't BCN and NCE only on Rouge for directs? So you're big question is do you want to do something like LHR or FRA and connect to a different airline just to get on a 787.

You'd also face potential plane changes, unless it's a solid 787 route.

Ie. I booked a flight to Copenhagen for Oct 11-18 back in Spring from LAX. LAX-YYZ-CPH.

Originally all 787s. These were all changed to 330s, with the return YYZ-LAX being swapped to a 767 two days before the flight.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jasdou
Ths can be done using ITA Matrix using routing code “/ aircraft t:” combined with the IATA aircraft code.

In your case, you can use “/ aircraft t:787” as the 787 code encompasses all sub-types.
Ok this is cool, thank you. Now, how do I make this tool show only award availability?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rendar
So you're big question is do you want to do something like LHR or FRA and connect to a different airline just to get on a 787.
Yes - I don't mind connecting, I'd make sure there was enough time to hang out in a lounge for a bit, or even an overnight stay would be fine. We definitely wouldn't want tight connections though!

Originally Posted by Rendar
You'd also face potential plane changes, unless it's a solid 787 route.
How do I know what routes are "solid"? I mean, if it works out I'd choose one of those, otherwise I guess I'd just book and hope for the best.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by groovejumper
Ok this is cool, thank you. Now, how do I make this tool show only award availability?
Huh, I never tried doing that. I guess you could try searching for I space using "/f bc=I" but I have no idea if ITA Matrix sees award space.

Otherwise, I'd just use ITA Matrix to identify potential routings of interest, at least for the 787 segment, and then search for availability on a segment per segment basis on AE.com or UA.com.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:39 am

ITA doesn't show award availability.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You want to book a J Aeroplan ticket, controlling not only the destination and rough dates, but also the aircraft type?

Good luck.

Destination or date. Choose 1
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: TK *G
Yes - I don't mind connecting, I'd make sure there was enough time to hang out in a lounge for a bit, or even an overnight stay would be fine. We definitely wouldn't want tight connections though!

How do I know what routes are "solid"? I mean, if it works out I'd choose one of those, otherwise I guess I'd just book and hope for the best.
It's hard to tell for sure. Equipment change can happen at any time for various reasons. But generally speaking, check AC's timetable for 787 flights, then keep monitoring that flight to see if it's indeed operated by a 787 everyday. If yes then your chance is pretty good as long as there's no last minute change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.