Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Altitude 2018 announced

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
If I recall correctly, for 2017 E35 could get up to 6 MLL passes, which was described by AC as compensation to offset the new rule excluding E35s from bringing in family members. Now the maximum is 2. Looks like part of a significant move to reduce numbers in the lounge. Since I expect to drift down to E35 this year, I am a bit annoyed. I expect higher status elites might welcome this change.

Now that eups are increasingly paired with co-pays, I can see AC being more generous with them. I will repeat my complaint that R-games plus auction plus LMUs make eups very difficult to value for anyone who does not buy a latitude fare well in advance of a flight.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:36 pm
F 1

At this point, I wonder why even have P25k? It's such a let down for first-time qualifiers.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by F 1
At this point, I wonder why even have P25k? It's such a let down for first-time qualifiers.
Other than a free luggage allowance, there is no point to it.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:58 pm

So I guess AC is not going to improve elite benefits after introducing AQD and culling the elite herd.
The Altitude elite benefits largely remain the same without any meaningful new one.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by mapleg
Other than a free luggage allowance, there is no point to it.
Well there's priority checkin and I believe guaranteed Z3 boarding too now. Not that 90% of AC GAs care about Z3 vs 4/5. And I managed 3 eUps as a P. I also failed 3 that said.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by F 1
Let's not kid ourselves. P25 is ridiculously easy to get in the current flying environment and it's a legacy tier more than anything. Don't think P25 would be a tier if it hadn't been before.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Let's not kid ourselves. P25 is ridiculously easy to get in the current flying environment and it's a legacy tier more than anything. Don't think P25 would be a tier if it hadn't been before.
Is that not the case of other low tiers? A single
TPAC on OW can leave you virtually at bronze or whatever BA calls it these days. It's a taster that costs AC virtually nothing.

Well it used to, it gets closer to zero yoy. Especially with all the new copays coming into eUps.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Don't think P25 would be a tier if it hadn't been before.
Agreed. Should be deleted, but AC likes to dangle the half eaten rotting carrot out there.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The ability to select later in the year is nice.

Sort of.

If I don't select until I need upgrades, then I have the option of taking something else.

But the longer you hold out on E50K for a friend, the less it's worth.

I guess I could get the 12 month Gogo. Unless that has an expiry date of Feb 28 2019.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:30 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I am not entirely sure how much travel work will require me a year yet... (pretty spoiled by MLL, Priority Luggage, CheckIn and Security at this point tbh)

But if I have to fly ~20 segments a year, I think its worth around that range for me. To be honest it's likely to be even higher for others. 50 credits would enable Jack Sr to upgrade two and half more times on his YYZ-CDG flight.. so it's tempting
if you feel spoiled by humus and tortilla chips at mlls, priority luggage that never comes out first domestically, you really need to explore other programs and airlines.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cur
if you feel spoiled by humus and tortilla chips at mlls, priority luggage that never comes out first domestically, you really need to explore other programs and airlines.
Priority luggage has improved. Especially at YYC.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I still feel like the lounge passes are largely useless.

I've struggled to give mine away for the past few years as an elite.

I'm not really in the AC FFP anymore, I'm 35k now, but I'll be 0 next year. Is the 100k AQD still $20,000? Not to hijack a thread at all, but I couldn't imagine spending that on AC metal alone (or the confusing ticket stock thing) as any kind of leisure traveler, even a corporate traveler it seems would have to be in paid j or last minute y all the time to make it.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drvannostren

I'm not really in the AC FFP anymore, I'm 35k now, but I'll be 0 next year. Is the 100k AQD still $20,000? Not to hijack a thread at all, but I couldn't imagine spending that on AC metal alone (or the confusing ticket stock thing) as any kind of leisure traveler, even a corporate traveler it seems would have to be in paid j or last minute y all the time to make it.
I've had no issue giving my passes away. Last year I gave away my roommate's too, and he had like 15.

The "confusing ticket stock thing" is that it must be ticketed on 014, or the flight must be operated by AC. Same as UA.

$20k does not require buying J, though it can certainly help. This year, most my paid J trips have been WELL under 20cpm. Heck, most are under 5cpm.

Aside from a SFO-YVR fare I bought for like $250 in P (a bit over 30cpm), but even that was a negligible upfare from Flex.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by drvannostren

On behalf of other SEs here, I would say this is not necessarily true for many of us.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Looks like I'm on track for E35K again this year. The new reduced bundles has little effect on my privileges as I will still have 30 eupgrade credits like every other year, and will have 2 less lounge passes to use on family/friends.

As well AC hasn't really said anything about our core privileges in this news. Are we sure that we will keep all of our current core benefits at this point?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.