Stop sending me upsell emails

Old Oct 29, 17, 3:49 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,639
Stop sending me upsell emails

Taking off tomorrow and for the past week I've been getting daily emails trying to upsell me services. One email FINE..... but daily for the past week?! Nothing but an annoyance. If I wanted to purchase services, I would have done so!

@aircanada perhaps focus on promptly sending people emails on SKCH, flight status and EQP changes instead of bugging people daily about buying Preferred Seats, Wifi, Hotel, Insurance, Car etc.....

canadiancow and flyquiet like this.
global happy traveller is offline  
Old Oct 29, 17, 4:22 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 17,707
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller View Post
Taking off tomorrow and for the past week I've been getting daily emails trying to upsell me services. One email FINE..... but daily for the past week?! Nothing but an annoyance. If I wanted to purchase services, I would have done so!

@aircanada perhaps focus on promptly sending people emails on SKCH, flight status and EQP changes instead of bugging people daily about buying Preferred Seats, Wifi, Hotel, Insurance, Car etc.....

It's the airline version of "would you like fries with that?"
24left is offline  
Old Oct 29, 17, 4:23 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Posts: 5,690
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
It's the airline version of "would you like fries with that?"
Fries usually don't cost more than the burger itself though, let alone 2X or 3X
Jumper Jack is offline  
Old Oct 29, 17, 4:25 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 17,707
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack View Post
Fries usually don't cost more than the burger itself though, let alone 2X or 3X
The point is:
The emails are intended to upsell the original purchase. It is not relevant what the additional cost is to the ticket purchased.
24left is offline  
Old Oct 29, 17, 4:50 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: YVR
Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Posts: 826
fightspam.gc.ca
zoobtoob is offline  
Old Oct 29, 17, 9:09 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canadia
Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Posts: 2,010
Originally Posted by zoobtoob View Post
How is that supposed to help?
jerry305 is offline  
Old Oct 29, 17, 9:32 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,639
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
It's the airline version of "would you like fries with that?"
Air Canada's version of......

Monday - GHT your losing weight.... Would you like fries with that?
Tuesday - GHT your eating healthy.... Would you like fries with that?
Wednesday - GHT your exercising.... Would you like fries with that?
Thursday - GHT your still losing weight.... Would you like fries with that?
Friday - GHT your going vegan now.... Would you like fries with that?
Saturday - GHT your going to party.... Would you like fries with that?
Sunday - GHT your hungover from last night.... Would you like fries with that?
global happy traveller is offline  
Old Oct 29, 17, 9:40 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Posts: 5,690
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller View Post
Air Canada's version of......

Monday - GHT your losing weight.... Would you like fries with that?
Tuesday - GHT your eating healthy.... Would you like fries with that?
Wednesday - GHT your exercising.... Would you like fries with that?
Thursday - GHT your still losing weight.... Would you like fries with that?
Friday - GHT your going vegan now.... Would you like fries with that?
Saturday - GHT your going to party.... Would you like fries with that?
Sunday - GHT your hungover from last night.... Would you like fries with that?
Is this the same flight?
Also, did you open the link every time they send you stuff(which could lead to their BI flagging you as a target)
Jumper Jack is offline  
Old Oct 29, 17, 9:45 pm
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 17,707
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller View Post
Air Canada's version of......

Monday - GHT your losing weight.... Would you like fries with that?
Tuesday - GHT your eating healthy.... Would you like fries with that?
Wednesday - GHT your exercising.... Would you like fries with that?
Thursday - GHT your still losing weight.... Would you like fries with that?
Friday - GHT your going vegan now.... Would you like fries with that?
Saturday - GHT your going to party.... Would you like fries with that?
Sunday - GHT your hungover from last night.... Would you like fries with that?


you're
24left is offline  
Old Oct 30, 17, 12:11 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: AC Altitude E75K (*G), NEXUS
Posts: 4,354
I get these, never click a link, and don't even load images before I delete them on both computer and phone. If their email marketing is using BI, it's not very I.
flyquiet is offline  
Old Oct 30, 17, 1:06 am
  #11  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Posts: 10,355
I don't ever remember getting more than a couple for any given itinerary.

But the ones that really drive me nuts are the ones where I've booked a one-way to YYC and they're trying to sell me hotels, rental cars, etc. Which of course I need badly since I live here...

As flyquiet said, their BI isn't very I, if it exists at all.
canadiancow likes this.
Adam Smith is offline  
Old Oct 30, 17, 1:48 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Posts: 5,690
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
I don't ever remember getting more than a couple for any given itinerary.

But the ones that really drive me nuts are the ones where I've booked a one-way to YYC and they're trying to sell me hotels, rental cars, etc. Which of course I need badly since I live here...

As flyquiet said, their BI isn't very I, if it exists at all.
The fact they do targeted promo, means that there are some BI involved, the question is just if its good at all, or if it's even functional in a siloed environment.

They could be using IBM Watson or Salesforce tools to sort through all FFers but my general experiences with these tools is that while it's better than nothing, they are far from perfect. I can't go into too much detail but these tools will only get better with more inputs(aka tests or large data-sets).

Companies now doing these arbitrary A/B testing quite extensively, GHT could potentially just be an unlucky "lab rat" being tested to see if more emails = more engagements or dollars. But I suspect, as long as GHT keep on opening these emails, it will keep coming.

The end goal, assuming the AC execs are not full of BS during their investor day presentation when talking about AI, is to have models that are good enough to predict purchase behaviors with a certain accuracy.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Oct 30, 17 at 2:07 am
Jumper Jack is offline  
Old Oct 30, 17, 1:53 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,256
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
The point is:
The emails are intended to upsell the original purchase. It is not relevant what the additional cost is to the ticket purchased.
Fries are not an upsell. Fries are an addition. Supersizing a meal would be an upsell. And McDonald's doesn't ask if you want to supersize it anymore
s0ssos is offline  
Old Oct 30, 17, 9:14 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: トロント
Programs: AC E50K, Accor , ANA, Avios
Posts: 4,512
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Fries are not an upsell. Fries are an addition. Supersizing a meal would be an upsell. And McDonald's doesn't ask if you want to supersize it anymore
It is an upsell if I only wanted a burger to begin with.
mapleg is offline  
Old Oct 30, 17, 9:46 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: YYC
Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Posts: 4,436
Some of them are just laughable, like the offer I got to upgrade a YVR-YYC flight for only $799. For a hours flight? I don't think so.
Jagboi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: