Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Time needed to clear immigration at YVR on 2 separate reservations with AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA

HI Experts,

I'm planning a SFO-YVR-DEL flight on AC in late Dec, I'm unable to get reward booking for SJC/SFO - YVR segment, so was thinking of doing 2 separate reservations with AC one each for SFO-YVR and another for YVR-DEL, there's only 2.5 hrs connection time at YVR to board YVR-DEL flight after SFO flights lands.

couple of queries :
1) Can I do a through checkin at SFO for YVR-DEL flight even though they'll be separate reservations, but all on AC.
2) If I want to collect bags in YVR and recheckin for YVR-DEL flight, will 2.5 hrs be enough to clear Canadian immigration (with US passport) , collect bags and recheck them.

Please advise.

Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
1. Almost certainly.
2. Yes, if there are no delays. But SFO-YVR is somewhat delay-prone.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Thanks and appreciate your response..Any idea how long it takes to complete immigration and customs on weekday mornings at YVC.

Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AC 25k
Originally Posted by Javvu
Thanks and appreciate your response..Any idea how long it takes to complete immigration and customs on weekday mornings at YVC.

Thanks
should be less than 1 hour, they are pretty fast. if you have nexus then take 10 min max.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I assume you're looking at the first AC SFO - YVR flight, arriving YVR around 8:54am?

You'll have SEA, PVG, SJC, PDX and potentially HKG (HX80 landed before AC567 Oct30) arriving at the same time as you. Doesn't look like CBSA will be too busy at that time, assuming AC567 is on time.

Do you have any status? Not sure how long the non-status line can get - you may run into other passengers travelling to HKG and TPE as the rest of AC's asia flights start departing YVR around 12:00pm. It's also a bit of a hike from the International Arrivals area to the AC International check-in area, depending on how many bags you have.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Immigration at YVR is very efficient. It rarely takes longer than 10 minutes in total. It can take a slightly longer when you arrive in the afternoon/evening when some of the European and Asian flights get in. Morning arrivals are usually not an issue at all.

As for the OP's questions:
1. In my experience yes.
2. You have to check your bags 1h in advance for your DEL flight which leaves you with 1.5h for luggage collection, immigration and customs. I cannot recall that I ever had to wait more than 30 minutes to get my luggage but as pointed out by canadiancow SFO flights tend to be late.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Doesn't look like CBSA will be too busy at that time, assuming AC567 is on time.
The sheer number of PIKs in the immigration hall should ensure rapid processing at that time of day.

It's also a bit of a hike from the International Arrivals area to the AC International check-in area, depending on how many bags you have.
It's up one escalator and along about 150 metres of hallway. Maybe a 4 minute stroll, allowing for postcard perusal, and baggage carts are plentiful and free.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
The sheer number of PIKs in the immigration hall should ensure rapid processing at that time of day.
Hopefully there will be more than 1 CBSA officer verifying receipts before allowing you into the baggage claim area?

It's up one escalator and along about 150 metres of hallway. Maybe a 4 minute stroll, allowing for postcard perusal, and baggage carts are plentiful and free.
Don't forget the journey starts at baggage claim in the customs hall... and after dropping off the bags at the AC International counters, OP will have to walk all the way back to the International security screening checkpoint. Even if they use checkpoint C, it's a hike back to the international gates unless the swing gates are in use for the Delhi flight. Don't discount the walking required.

My baggage waiting time at YVR has varied wildly, from under 10mins from doors open to 30-40mins after doors open before the first bag arrives on the belt.

And given this is the Delhi flight, with HKG and TPE departing shortly after, how busy will the AC check-in counters be?

Assuming the SFO-YVR flight is on-time, no delay at immigration and customs, no delay in reclaiming baggage and no line-up at the AC counters - the whole process probably shouldn't take more than an 45mins to an hour.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:13 pm

Hopefully there will be more than 1 CBSA officer verifying receipts before allowing you into the baggage claim area?
Without a doubt, there will be.

Don't forget the journey starts at baggage claim in the customs hall... and after dropping off the bags at the AC International counters, OP will have to walk all the way back to the International security screening checkpoint. Even if they use checkpoint C, it's a hike back to the international gates unless the swing gates are in use for the Delhi flight. Don't discount the walking required.
Let's time that journey from said starting point at the carousel. Assuming the furthest one, walk a sedate 1 minute to CBSA staffer(s) accepting customs receipts. Exiting through the doors and past the domestic transfer drop-off desks, you have 2 choices: left or right around the info desk to the public area. Go left, it's shorter and less traveled. 45 more seconds have elapsed. Shuffle between the meet n greet crowd and the outside doors towards the escalator at 12 o'clock, another 30 seconds away.
Relax, stand still and take the full 30 seconds to rise to the departures level. You are abeam the Jade Canoe. Turn left and walk the 4 minutes to the AC intl check in. Wait the 10 minutes* to dispose of your bag. *assuming you don't have priority check-in with AC or Star status.
Stroll the 4 minutes back to the intl security gates. We're now at <25 minutes and it might take you say, 10 more** to clear security. **assuming no Nexus or Fastrack.
Once through, it will take you no more than 10 minutes, including stops to grab a latte, gaze at saltwater fish and maybe play a move on the large chess board, to reach the furthest gates. However, AC to DEL generally departs from 52-53, so you might not have to saunter that far after all, in which case, allow 2 minutes after clearing security.

45 minutes will allow for a relaxed connection. Allow twice that to account for inbound delays and unexpected congestion. But OP has 2.5 hours, so take that last hour to sit down adjacent to the river and have a nice meal, drink, plane-spot, shop, or all of the above.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
If you have nexus, you can get in the country dangerously fast. I usually power walk to the kiosks, there's usually 5 of 10 broken, but still no line, I answer 2 BS questions and I'm in and bypass the whole thing. I'm outside on the curb in like 5 minutes.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'm outside on the curb in like 5 minutes.
Yes, but OP is connecting to Delhi. A speedy transit to the curb isn't gonna help.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat

Thanks
YVC is a very small airport in La Ronge, Saskatchewan. La Ronge is in northern Saskatchewan and does not get much in the way of international travel. I think your asking about YVR in Metro Vancouver.

If it was on one ticket after you arrive you would follow the signs for international transfer. Border control people would just compare your passport and boarding pass and you would exit directly into the international departures hall. That would take minutes. You bags would automatically transfer. I believe you can do the same thing on separate tickets if the check in agents in SFO tag your bags appropriately. I would try to do this instead of the re-check option.

If you do want to go through regular immigration (as if entering Canada), the mid-morning is the busiest time as that is when many of the flights from Asia are arriving. At that time of day they usually open up an express counter for connecting passengers. That primarily for passengers making domestic connections. I would give it 30-45 minutes to get through immigration and baggage claim. Getting back in line for baggage drop off and security is another story. If you have *G it is much faster.
Jebby_ca likes this.

Last edited by Fiordland; Oct 31, 2017 at 6:13 am
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
HI Experts,

If I want to collect bags in YVR and recheckin for YVR-DEL flight, will 2.5 hrs be enough to clear Canadian immigration (with US passport) , collect bags and recheck them.

Please advise.

Thanks
Is there a specific reason why you want to reclaim the bag in YVR? Even on separate bookings, you can check the bag all the way to DEL at SFO, and then it will be automatically transferred. You can then stay airside and go via the international connections route.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Yes, but OP is connecting to Delhi. A speedy transit to the curb isn't gonna help.
The point is the same, clearing Canada customs is an absolute breeze. He could just as easily be up at check-in, within those same 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by D582
Is there a specific reason why you want to reclaim the bag in YVR? Even on separate bookings, you can check the bag all the way to DEL at SFO, and then it will be automatically transferred. You can then stay airside and go via the international connections route.
Living and working here, I've never done an INTL connection. I've seen the desk, but is this open all day? I feel like it's not.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Living and working here, I've never done an INTL connection. I've seen the desk, but is this open all day? I feel like it's not.
Not sure what the exact opening times are but I know it's not a 24h thing for sure. Something along the lines of 8am-8pm, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.