Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Aeroplan Australia Y Booking Strategy

Question: Aeroplan Australia Y Booking Strategy

Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by heraclitus
I will post a pic of the quotes when I have a moment. I spoke with Aeroplan and not surprisingly they plead innocent, claiming that it's the fee that Air Canada imposes on them. When you remove the "carrier surcharge" from the equation, the total taxes and fee for a reward are much more comparable to what someone pays on AC using a revenue ticket.
In this case, they actually are innocent. Aeroplan is just a travel agent.

AC issues the tickets - and AC collects the YQ. Whether it be on AC metal or other carriers. AC does not pass on the YQ to other carriers, so it has nothing to do with what those carriers ask.... but anyway... this is about AC metal - there are no reasons YQ would not be the same as a revenue ticket. Pure scam by AC.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by rankourabu

AC issues the tickets - and AC collects the YQ. Whether it be on AC metal or other carriers. AC does not pass on the YQ to other carriers, so it has nothing to do with what those carriers ask.... but anyway... this is about AC metal - there are no reasons YQ would not be the same as a revenue ticket. Pure scam by AC.
So how is it that for destinations like HKG, YQ on AE redemptions using AC metal is not that far off from what you pay on a revenue ticket (i.e. low), while for a place like SYD it's wildly disparate?

The whole thing just seems so randomly arbitrary.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
SYD is not the only international airport in Australia, so consider BNE or MEL as well.
4 awards on the same flight makes it harder. Cash for 1 or more may open up more opportunities.
Thinking about this some more, I might just pony up the $ and do YWG-BNE (AC) and SYD-YWG (UA) on an open jaw. It will cost me $2100 as opposed to $880 by using UA both ways for the TPAC segments, but it will be far more convenient (only 1 stop on AC) and allows me to eliminate the $750 or so it would cost to do a one way BNE-SYD trip on an Aussie carrier for a family of four + a night in a SYD airport hotel.

Of course, that pill is made a little more bitter by the fact that I could right now go and book 4 YWG-HKG Y seats on DL for about $2200 cash, but what are you gonna do... we have our hearts set on Australia.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: *$ Green
So how is it that for destinations like HKG, YQ on AE redemptions using AC metal is not that far off from what you pay on a revenue ticket (i.e. low), while for a place like SYD it's wildly disparate?

The whole thing just seems so randomly arbitrary.
There can be a lot of reasons ranging from government regulation (limits on what carriers can charge as "fuel") to revenue share agreements (share base fare but not YQ), to pricing strategy (fare managed based on X factors and other costs managed otherwide and added separately), to the airline just wanting more money on reward tickets.

It also affects (apparently) the order in which they show up on agency systems since it sorts by base fare (apparently). So there's that too.

The "advantage" you have with YQ is that if your base fare is $100 but your cancellation fee is $300 with a ticket value of $500, you will get $400 back. If your ticket is nonrefundable, you can get a refund of the YQ and forfeit the rest. This can be seriously handy on some low cost EU destination with nonrefundable fares if you don't want to be stuck with an AC "credit", but it's not like it'll be cost effective for all EU destinations. It came handy for me on YULCDG since sometimes AC posts non refundable $1 fares.

That being said, I find the discrepency you are seeing intriguing, and definitely worth digging into.

​​​​​​
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thinking about this some more, I might just pony up the $ and do YWG-BNE (AC) and SYD-YWG (UA) on an open jaw. It will cost me $2100 as opposed to $880 by using UA both ways for the TPAC segments, but it will be far more convenient (only 1 stop on AC) and allows me to eliminate the $750 or so it would cost to do a one way BNE-SYD trip on an Aussie carrier for a family of four + a night in a SYD airport hotel.
May be of interest https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...C-CODE-LAUNCH/
Virgin Australia and Air Canada to launch codeshare services from today
26/05/2017

Virgin Australia has announced that it will begin selling codeshare services on Air Canada flights between Los Angeles and three major Canadian cities from today, enabling customers to enjoy new, seamless connections between Australia and Canada. Today’s announcement represents the implementation of the first phase of the strategic cooperation agreement between Virgin Australia and Air Canada, following the airlines’ execution of a Memorandum of Understanding in December 2016.
<snip>
Virgin Australia and Air Canada intend to offer reciprocal frequent flyer redemption benefits on each other’s flights in a subsequent stage of the agreement, with further details to be released later in 2017.

In addition, from today, travellers flying on Air Canada’s daily services from Vancouver to Brisbane and Sydney will be able to book travel on connecting Virgin Australia flights to Adelaide, Canberra, Cairns, Melbourne, Perth, Christchurch and Auckland for travel from 1 June 2017. They can also book travel on Virgin Australia services from Sydney to Brisbane, Sydney to the Gold Coast and Brisbane to Wellington. Members of Air Canada’s loyalty program Aeroplan will earn Aeroplan Miles when travelling on these codeshare services.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

You keep spewing this nonsense.

It's simply not true.

Each YQ deal has three parties:
Air Canada
Aeroplan
Operating airline

Money is split up between all three.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow

It's simply not true.

Air Canada
Aeroplan
Operating airline

Prove it?

What you are saying that UA and poor Avianca absorb the cost of YQ every time they issue an award ticket on AC/LH/etc.

Or you are saying United and Lifemiles has a better deal with AC than Aeroplan?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow

It's simply not true.

Air Canada
Aeroplan
Operating airline

Prove it?

What you are saying that UA and poor Avianca absorb the cost of YQ every time they issue an award ticket on AC/LH/etc.

Or you are saying United and Lifemiles has a better deal with AC than Aeroplan?

The only official statement so far has been that the YQ is collected by the ticketing carrier.

Excuse me for believing that over someone who has a vested interest in promoting AC.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:02 am
alc

Prove it?
Not trying to jump into your discussion with cow, but your post did make me did some Google-ing on this and within a few minutes, I found this:

http://blog.aeroplan.com/aeroplan/ae...our-questions/

Why do I have to pay for Carrier Surcharges and why are they different than if you pay for an Air Canada flight?

Aeroplan does not determine the carrier surcharge, the amount is determined by each airline carrier individually and varies based on their own costs, destination, cabin etc.

All major loyalty programs in Canada are required to collect carrier-imposed surcharges. Aeroplan only applies these surcharges where applicable on behalf of its partner Air Canada. 100 per cent of the surcharges applied are passed directly to Air Canada for settlement with the applicable airlines and Aeroplan only applies the surcharge for carriers that already apply the surcharge to their own frequent flyer program tickets.

Similar to all other loyalty programs in Canada, the carrier surcharge for all Aeroplan Flight Rewards (ClassicFlight and Market Fare Flight Reward) on International itineraries is the same as the surcharge Air Canada collects on all of their revenue tickets purchased by customers.

Air Canada applies a carrier surcharge as a separate amount for ClassicFlight Rewards on North American itineraries and has done so since 2004.

Carrier surcharge for Market Fare Flight Rewards on North America is the same as the surcharge Air Canada collects on all of their tickets purchased by customers. Because Aeroplan Market Fare Flight Rewards are derived from Air Canada’s base fares at time of booking, the conversion of these fares into variable mileage levels includes the carrier surcharges.
Unless the info above off the Aeroplan web site is a false statement, then it does state Air Canada will "settle" these Surchages with the applicable airlines.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: *$ Green
It has to be a false statement if they collect a different surcharge on YVRSYD than revenue tickets
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alc
Not trying to jump into your discussion with cow, but your post did make me did some Google-ing on this and within a few minutes, I found this:

http://blog.aeroplan.com/aeroplan/ae...our-questions/

Unless the info above off the Aeroplan web site is a false statement, then it does state Air Canada will "settle" these Surchages with the applicable airlines.
If they indeed have to 'settle' with lets day LH, then MileagePlus and Lifemiles are losing tons of money on this. Also, why do they not have to 'settle' with TK, SQ, etc?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:37 am
alc

If they indeed have to 'settle' with lets day LH, then MileagePlus and Lifemiles are losing tons of money on this. Also, why do they not have to 'settle' with TK, SQ, etc?
I do not know the answer of your question. There could be many guess we all can come up with. But as mentioned, no plan to step in between your discussion with cow, hence, I will keep those wild guess to myself to prevent me starting an on-going discussion with you on something that is not related to this thread after all. All that was is that you were looking for proof from cow which that trigger me to Google-ing for it out of my own curiosity . And then I found a statement relatively quickly and it was not provided by some random Internet DYKWIA blogger, it is a statement directly from Aeroplan web site. We can all choose to believe or not believe the statement that was quoted.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alc
I do not know the answer of your question. There could be many guess we all can come up with. But as mentioned, no plan to step in between your discussion with cow, hence, I will keep those wild guess to myself to prevent me starting an on-going discussion with you on something that is not related to this thread after all. All that was is that you were looking for proof from cow which that trigger me to Google-ing for it out of my own curiosity . And then I found a statement relatively quickly and it was not provided by some random Internet DYKWIA blogger, it is a statement directly from Aeroplan web site. We can all choose to believe or not believe the statement that was quoted.
I guess we will never actually know

Two questions remain:
1.Why is AC collecting YQ where their own revenue tickets don't have any
2.Where is all the money going collected from fake US taxes by AC on transborder itineraries?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

So I booked. $2,193 for 4 Y tickets, YWG-BNE then SYD-YWG, all on AC metal except for SYD-SFO (UA).

First time I've ever paid more than $1,000 in fees and charges, let alone over 2 grand. But I just couldn't see a way around it
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I booked. $2,193 for 4 Y tickets, YWG-BNE then SYD-YWG, all on AC metal except for SYD-SFO (UA).

First time I've ever paid more than $1,000 in fees and charges, let alone over 2 grand. But I just couldn't see a way around it
Is this a cash only or award booking?
Good you got it sorted. ^
Enjoy QLD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.