Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Unofficial AC Schedule Change Notifier (cowtool)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unofficial AC Schedule Change Notifier (cowtool)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Forgive the lack of IT knowledge here, but what's the difference between the AC advisories and this thing? I have a couple flights coming up and I have received multiple alerts from AC as to changes in arrival or travel times (in some cases by 5 minutes) and in one case a change in aircraft advise.

This is something probably of use for the real FFs and not someone like me who is an infrequent FF.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:42 pm

Thank you cow

Signed up despite me not having any upcoming AC flights I can recall :P
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Forgive the lack of IT knowledge here, but what's the difference between the AC advisories and this thing? I have a couple flights coming up and I have received multiple alerts from AC as to changes in arrival or travel times (in some cases by 5 minutes) and in one case a change in aircraft advise.

This is something probably of use for the real FFs and not someone like me who is an infrequent FF.
AC has not advised me of any of the changes in my trips.

And mine were all booked on AC.com.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC has not advised me of any of the changes in my trips.

And mine were all booked on AC.com.
I wonder if it is because I sign up for the alerts? I too booked at AC.Com
I also ask for SMS alerts in addition to the email alerts. This is what they send me;

Subject: Itinerary Change - Important information - do not delete

The attached document contains important flight detail information about your upcoming trip. Please review it and contact us if necessary.

In any case, my intent is not to sabotage or distract from your generous donation of time and expertise. Your program eliminates the need for me to closely read the revised itinerary and to play find Waldo.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
one returned an "account is not activated" error (rjp123, that looks like you - you may want to make sure your TripIt account has been activated, though I'm not really sure what this means),
I've been a paid TripIt Pro (connected to Facebook, Gmail, LinkedIn, etc.) user since January 2012. Not sure what this means either. Any thoughts on how to handle?

Thanks again!
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjp123
I've been a paid TripIt Pro (connected to Facebook, Gmail, LinkedIn, etc.) user since January 2012. Not sure what this means either. Any thoughts on how to handle?

Thanks again!
I'm not sure, so I just deleted you from the database. Try signing up again?

Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: DL Gold, AC 25K
Do you plan on putting it on github?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Great idea and work @canadiancow!

I signed up last night and got an email notification right away, and the same email during the daily run, but it's empty!

See below:

Code:
Hello,

There has been a schedule change on the following flights:

You will continue to be notified about these flights every day until you update them in TripIt.  In the future, we will take care of that for you.
I have 3 upcoming trips in my TripIt account, and I'm using TripIt Pro. One potential issue I could see is that I'm importing trips by forwarding the AC.com confirmation emails, which means my aircraft types are in the "full text" format like "777-300ER" instead of "77W".

Keep up the good work. Thanks for doing this. ^
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kylejaymes
Waste of time.
Seems like a lot of happy folks for such a waste, no? Eye of the beholder?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Seems like a lot of happy folks for such a waste, no? Eye of the beholder?
Yeah. That was a stupid comment. Can't believe it's still there.

There are a million arguments that could've been made about why this may or may not be something useful. Yet this is what we get.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I also ask for SMS alerts in addition to the email alerts. This is what they send me;

Subject: Itinerary Change - Important information - do not delete

The attached document contains important flight detail information about your upcoming trip. Please review it and contact us if necessary.

In any case, my intent is not to sabotage or distract from your generous donation of time and expertise. Your program eliminates the need for me to closely read the revised itinerary and to play find Waldo.
I too get schedule change advisories from AC. But I forget what I did to get them. I know I opted in on AE for AC communication. And then on the app there was a convoluted process to add AE profile to AC. However I do not get equipment change notifications, not sure AC sends these out at all. And Tripit Pro does not check for schedule changes till the day off flight (24 hrs) whereas this tool seems to do that. So unless AC screws up I will get sched changes from AC, this tool and Tripit (day of flight). This tool is the only one that catches equipment changes.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:42 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Moo cow, thanks for building this. I don't use TripIt, but may have to start so I can use this tool.

AC is inconsistent in sending alerts. For some bookings, it will send numerous alerts for repeated tiny scheudle changes (5-15 minutes).

On other bookings, I've had flights be cancelled or have big schedule changes and get no alert. Sometimes I've gotten a schedule change alert where I look at the "original" itinerary and think "that's not right", then realize that there has already been at least one schedule change to which AC has not alerted me prior to the one they're e-mailing me about. So sometimes it's not even consistent on the same booking.

The cow's tool is likely to be more reliable than AC's own site.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gabdusch
Great idea and work @canadiancow!

I signed up last night and got an email notification right away, and the same email during the daily run, but it's empty!

See below:

Code:
Hello,

There has been a schedule change on the following flights:

You will continue to be notified about these flights every day until you update them in TripIt.  In the future, we will take care of that for you.
I have 3 upcoming trips in my TripIt account, and I'm using TripIt Pro. One potential issue I could see is that I'm importing trips by forwarding the AC.com confirmation emails, which means my aircraft types are in the "full text" format like "777-300ER" instead of "77W".

Keep up the good work. Thanks for doing this. ^
Hmmm it's not supposed to send you an email if there are no changes. I'll look into it.

As for the 777-300ER, of the 72 flights I had, only three had that issue, and they were all "Dash 8-300".

The plan is to have this automatically update TripIt so it's not as annoying for you, but I haven't started on that yet.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: *$ Green
Cow, out of pure curiosity, how long did it take you to develop this?

What are your plans for it? Full app? New features? Etc.

Any major interesting roadblocks? Planned usage on other airlines?

Not to make you spill the beans, or disclose more than you want to. Just being curious.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Cow, out of pure curiosity, how long did it take you to develop this?
Maybe 5-6 hours.

The longest parts were:

1. TripIt's API. The Java examples were 6 years old, and used an Apache HTTP library. I rewrote a bunch of that in Kotlin and switched it over to okhttp (which also cut the binary size down by 35%).
2. Registration. If I was just using this for myself, it would have taken way less time. But setting up the registration system required more than 50% of the time.

What are your plans for it? Full app? New features? Etc.
I think it will live as a web app for the foreseeable future.

There are definitely some planned new features (like updating your TripIt plans in addition to telling you about the changes), but I'm going to see if there are any obvious shortcomings, or common feature requests.

Additionally, I want to see about running it more than once a day, to catch day of departure equipment changes.

Any major interesting roadblocks? Planned usage on other airlines?
I could look into other airlines. I have a few NH flights booked that I'd like to track too.

But then I'd have to move this thread to another forum

Also, I find UA is very good about emailing me over minor schedule and equipment changes, so I don't even know if it's necessary for other airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.