Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

First Time Doing Segment Run- Am I doing this right?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA Executive, DL Skymiles, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Executive Elite

I’m trying to get 10 more segments before the end of the year, and have a couple round trip flights planned from YQU-YEG. Is there anyway to extend the length of these flights beyond YQU-YYC-YEG without significantly increasing the price?

If it helps for the first flight, I’m looking to leave anytime this weekend and return on Oct 31st (need to leave YEG after 3pm)

I thought these segments would be a shoe in until my work travel planner started booking me weekly flights on WS...
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Anything beyond the YYC connection will result in a fare break.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:24 am
alc

Will this work for the outbound?

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc..._ALLIANCE;eo=e

You do end up paying about double the price for YQU-YEG to this 6 segments trip...which you actually hit YEG first before go around and back to YEG at the end of the day.

The return is the tough one as you put in a limit to leave only after 3pm. it will not give you enough time to get more segment.

This is the best I can do, making you overnight at the wonder YYJ and again, double the price that you would pay for YQU-YEG:

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...1500-2400;eo=e

not sure who is paying for your trip or you pay your own. I do wonder what status are you after with these 10 segment?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA Executive, DL Skymiles, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Anything beyond the YYC connection will result in a fare break.
That’s what I figured. Since the flights are being paid for by work, I’ll have to stick with the YYC connection and see where I end up. I have some segments in Asia later this year, I’m not dying for status but if it’s close I figured I’d try and maximize my legs
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:59 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Do you have any plans to travel out east this year? The real beauty of segment running tends to be in going across Canada, where you can add several connections with no increase in price.

For example, here's the permitted routing from YQU to YUL: YQU-YEA-YYC-YXE/YQR-YWG-YTO-YOW-YMQ

That means that, theoretically, you could connect through YEG, YYC, one of YXE or YQR, YWG, YYZ and YOW and get up to seven segments.

That's probably impractical given the amount of time it would take, but something like YQU-YYC-YWG-YYZ-YUL or YQU-YYC-YYZ-YOW-YUL isn't too bad. And then you could do the same in reverse on the way home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.