Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AE - unused ticket expiry; tough lesson

Old Oct 24, 17, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member

Wow, just schooled the hard way over an unused AE ticket.

Oct 12, 2016 booked a domestic J reward.
Oct 25, 2016 changed it to Asia 2 J reward at 155,000 points.

Cancelled those flights.

Called in today to change it within one year. Ticket # was of course from Oct 12...so over one year.

How painful is that?

Simultaneously mad and sad.

AE refunded the taxes/YQ.
Old Oct 24, 17, 1:07 pm

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
ah Geez, thats why I always set a google calendar reminder for things like this

Though I guess AE's liability just reduced slightly, thanks to you.
Old Oct 24, 17, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack View Post
ah Geez, thats why I always set a google calendar reminder for things like this

Though I guess AE's liability just reduced slightly, thanks to you.
I did, for today. Was going off the PDF for the Asia2 flight. Totally forgot that it was based off a domestic J reward.
Old Oct 24, 17, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I did, for today. Was going off the PDF for the Asia2 flight. Totally forgot that it was based off a domestic J reward.
@Dorian
Sorry to hear.
Appreciate the reminder to check or keep track of original ticket purchase dates.
Old Oct 24, 17, 6:10 pm

@Dorian

Dang that hurts
Old Oct 24, 17, 10:03 pm

Not to rub salt in the wound, but even if Oct 25 was the date, wouldn't you still have been up the creek? I thought your outbound travel had to be within 1 year of original date, so unless you were going to purchase a ticket for travel today your credit would have been useless.
Old Oct 25, 17, 6:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I hear you Dorian.

Similarly (but different) lost points after one year (intentionally but still stings a bit) since one of my friends who had a return to Cameroon from USA (flew the outbound to USA but not return on a business class ticket booked on my account) but he chose not to go back due to ongoing civil strife (he has necessary papers to stay in USA). Situation didn't improve so year passed with no way to reclaim those points (AFAIK, once outbound is flown you are hooped--should have booked two one ways like I always do for my paid tickets--lesson learned!).

Now I am bringing his wife here from Cameroon for Christmas. A bit of que sera sera--just points which seem to deteriorate in value anyway. Guess I could have used them for toasters!

Doesn't hurt as much as in the past as I have been trying to burn everything by 2020 but despite sponsoring a number of flights for NGOs, family etc. the balance keeps hovering at about 1 million. Maybe next year I won't do any paid flying?

Not out as much as Dorian but understand the feelings. In ten years all will be forgotten I am sure.
Old Oct 25, 17, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG USER View Post
Not to rub salt in the wound, but even if Oct 25 was the date, wouldn't you still have been up the creek? I thought your outbound travel had to be within 1 year of original date, so unless you were going to purchase a ticket for travel today your credit would have been useless.
Hmmmm, I don't know the answer to that....
Old Oct 25, 17, 9:32 am

Programs: *$ Green
AC allows you to pay extra and extend the validity of your ticket by 3 months if you're within 30 days of its expiry date. Does AE not do the same? The tickets are 014 after all...
Old Oct 25, 17, 11:01 am

Programs: AC E50K, Accor , ANA, Avios
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
AC allows you to pay extra and extend the validity of your ticket by 3 months if you're within 30 days of its expiry date. Does AE not do the same? The tickets are 014 after all...
No they do not
Old Oct 25, 17, 11:07 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by mapleg View Post
No they do not
That's dog.
Old Oct 25, 17, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Well then....this thread now illustrates a whole other lesson.

Flight credits must be used within one year of original booking date.....
Old Oct 25, 17, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Flight credits must be used within one year of original booking date.....
It's always been thus and has always been stated in the terms and conditions on all AC reservation confirmations.
Old Oct 25, 17, 1:32 pm

Wow, just schooled the hard way over an unused AE ticket.

Oct 12, 2016 booked a domestic J reward.
Oct 25, 2016 changed it to Asia 2 J reward at 155,000 points.

Cancelled those flights.

Called in today to change it within one year. Ticket # was of course from Oct 12...so over one year.

How painful is that?

Simultaneously mad and sad.

AE refunded the taxes/YQ.
I don't know if I am missing something, but my understanding is that if you cancel at least 22 days before departure you can get a full refund of miles and fees. Is that not the case or did you cancel within the 22 day window?
Old Oct 25, 17, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahoogalah View Post
I don't know if I am missing something, but my understanding is that if you cancel at least 22 days before departure you can get a full refund of miles and fees. Is that not the case or did you cancel within the 22 day window?
Within.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: