Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

flying Air New Zealand out of YVR using miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum

Hi there --

Looking to possibly book family of four from YVR to AKL using Aeroplan miles, and for obvious reasons would prefer the nonstop Air New Zealand flight out of Vancouver. When I search Aeroplan for options, they want to route me YVR -> SYD -> AKL, or YVR -> SFO -> AKL.

Why wouldn't the nonstop ANZ YVR -> AKL flight show up on the aeroplan website when I know the flight is available for the timeframe I'm wishing to travel, AND there are PLENTY of seats available on the flight? Do I have to call in to Aeroplan and have someone manually search for my desired flights?

thanks in advance

Jeff
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajcopley
..Looking to possibly book family of four from YVR to AKL using Aeroplan miles, and for obvious reasons would prefer the nonstop Air New Zealand flight out of Vancouver. When I search Aeroplan for options, they want to route me YVR -> SYD -> AKL, or YVR -> SFO -> AKL.

Why wouldn't the nonstop ANZ YVR -> AKL flight show up on the Aeroplan website when I know the flight is available for the time frame I'm wishing to travel, AND there are PLENTY of seats available on the flight? Do I have to call in to Aeroplan and have someone manually search for my desired flights?
Just because seats are for sale for cash does not mean Air NZ are offering those seats for awards.
Air NZ is notorious for not offering award seats to Star Alliance frequent flyers.
4 awards seats on the same flight can be hard at the best of times.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Just because seats are for sale for cash does not mean Air NZ are offering those seats for awards.
Air NZ is notorious for not offering award seats to Star Alliance frequent flyers.
4 awards seats on the same flight can be hard at the best on time
Assuming you mean 4 award seats ON AIR NZ "can be hard at best"? I'm finding plenty of availability for 4 award seats on the indirect routings mentioned in the original post, so you're saying Air NZ is notoriously stingy with giving out award seats to Star Alliance member airlines? And you must only be referring to their stinginess as it relates to their long-haul routings, as Aeroplan IS finding 4 award seats on Air NZ on the SYD to AKL portion of the YVR -> SYD -> AKL option available to me via Aeroplan.com.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:45 am

Good luck getting any straightforward routing award seats on NZ. They are a highly profitable parsimonious airline - but hey, it's always worth AC having a look to see what's available.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:50 am
Original Poster

OK definitely good to know. Don't mind the YVR --> SFO --> AKL routing so much, but the YVR --> SYD --> AKL routing just seems like torture (to have to hop on another 3+ hour flight to AKL after spending 14+ hours in the air). Pretty sure there would be family mutiny if I did that to them!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:43 am

good luck getting 4 seats
Dorian likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yerffej201
good luck getting 4 seats
? 4 seats on ANZ, or 4 seats to New Zealand (independent of carrier)? Plenty of award seat availability right now for 4 of us on the routings mentioned in the original post. Just would PREFER the nonstop for obvious reasons (but it won't stop me from booking)
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
OK definitely good to know. Don't mind the YVR --> SFO --> AKL routing so much, but the YVR --> SYD --> AKL routing just seems like torture (to have to hop on another 3+ hour flight to AKL after spending 14+ hours in the air). Pretty sure there would be family mutiny if I did that to them!
Meh. It isn't so bad. I've done it often.

Your best bet, especially for 4 seats is looking via SYD and booking a separate flight across the Tasman.

There is more availability to SYD and may be easier to get.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
? 4 seats on ANZ, or 4 seats to New Zealand (independent of carrier)? Plenty of award seat availability right now for 4 of us on the routings mentioned in the original post. Just would PREFER the nonstop for obvious reasons (but it won't stop me from booking)
Good luck on the nonstop. I'm going to say it's one of the top 10 most difficult routes to secure reward seating on.
Dorian and YOWgary like this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:15 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Meh. It isn't so bad. I've done it often.

Your best bet, especially for 4 seats is looking via SYD and booking a separate flight across the Tasman.

There is more availability to SYD and may be easier to get.
Yeah, this is what I ended up doing for a trip next year. For what it is worth, the AE rep I spoke to said than ANZ releases a few of the non-stop YVR-AKL seats much closer (she thought 90 days) to departure if you want to roll the dice. But your odds of getting four seats are close to zero.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
ACYYZ/SD has spoken. if he says they're tough, then they're tough.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
If you're talking J non-stop, will never happen.

Even 1 or 2 seats in Y on the direct would be tough.

If you want to break up the trip, go via NRT or something like that.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:31 pm

This thread is amusing; You asked for Advice on the Direct flight and 3 or 4 posters have told you : impossible, which I will echo.

You come back every time and say the indirect routing has availability, but that's not what you want... have you read any of the responses? Do you think by continuing to ignore what people are telling you will make ANZ mystically open reward availability?

Long Haul ANZ even in Y is very difficult. Finding Multiple seats happens once in a blue moon (usually when ANZ messes up availability and opens up the taps).

ANZ Is the stingiest *A Partner for reward seats. Period.
Dorian and foreigncontent like this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
It's one of the downsides of NZ operating a loyalty program which is based almost entirely off dollar for dollar "any seat awards" - they don't have to reserve award inventory because award inventory is the entire plane - for their own FFP members. R class (Airpoints upgrade inventory) is constrained to a minimum, X class (staralliance awards) even more so.

There are very limited "discounted business class awards" available to NZ *G and higher, but they require 2790 NZAPD for a one way to the US, plus taxes and fees - you actually get better value booking Y and upgrading. (And to make it worse, I believe these consume the same award inventory - they aren't R class)
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hearna
This thread is amusing; You asked for Advice on the Direct flight and 3 or 4 posters have told you : impossible, which I will echo.

You come back every time and say the indirect routing has availability, but that's not what you want... have you read any of the responses? Do you think by continuing to ignore what people are telling you will make ANZ mystically open reward availability?

Long Haul ANZ even in Y is very difficult. Finding Multiple seats happens once in a blue moon (usually when ANZ messes up availability and opens up the taps).

ANZ Is the stingiest *A Partner for reward seats. Period.
I get it...and yes I've read the responses.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 23, 2017 at 4:02 pm Reason: snark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.