Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

flying Air New Zealand out of YVR using miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

flying Air New Zealand out of YVR using miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by jazzsax
ACYYZ/SD has spoken. if he says they're tough, then they're tough.

LOL. I nabbed two J/C seats on NZ's inaugural flight from YVR-AKL years ago. I literally think the seats were loaded as I was on the phone with the AP agent. Since then, have batted zero, trying to replicate the journey.

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; Oct 23, 2017 at 3:39 pm
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
SFO or SYD here we come! :-)
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by ajcopley
? 4 seats on ANZ, or 4 seats to New Zealand (independent of carrier)? Plenty of award seat availability right now for 4 of us on the routings mentioned in the original post. Just would PREFER the nonstop for obvious reasons (but it won't stop me from booking)
on pretty much all na - oceania routes in business class, unless there's a rare opening of award space which happens with new routes and such
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
LOL. I nabbed two J/C seats on NZ's inaugural flight from YVR-AKL years ago. I literally think the seats were loaded as I was on the phone with the AP agent. Since then, have batted zero, trying to replicate the journey.
I nabbed two in J LAX-AKL in 2002 - like you batting zero since.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by ajcopley
OK definitely good to know. Don't mind the YVR --> SFO --> AKL routing so much, but the YVR --> SYD --> AKL routing just seems like torture (to have to hop on another 3+ hour flight to AKL after spending 14+ hours in the air). Pretty sure there would be family mutiny if I did that to them!
I’ve done it. Not so bad as I thought. Being upfront helped. You can use their lounge or SQ lounge in SYD because there’s a bit of a layover. Can’t remember how long.

They used a Dreamliner on my flight out of SYD and the service was superb. Pods are much better than AC. Felt roomier in the cabin.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
On the bright side, AP rewards are a great way to visit brand new destinations you hadn't considered. Our AKL trip includes NY, ICN, SYD, HND, KIX, and TPE.

That said, there were quite a few NZ flights from AKL to HND and other Japanese cities (I think KIX?) in J during the winter holidays, if you need any suggestions for the routing home.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Good luck on the nonstop. I'm going to say it's one of the top 10 most difficult routes to secure reward seating on.
Agreed. Looking at United in a quick check for one person, I see exactly one date with J space for even one person over the next few months on the nonstop in either direction (December 14, AKL-YVR, which will likely get snapped up quickly now that I've posted it here ). Basically nothing in economy, only date I see there is November 5 AKL-YVR (AKA less than two weeks away now).

It's not "impossible", but it is so extremely improbable, especially for four award seats on the same flight, that I would not expend a lot of effort looking for it. As well, any alternate options might disappear in the intervening time period waiting, if it ever becomes available at all. OP, my best advice is to book alternative options so you have something, and be prepared to pay to switch in case a near miracle occurs and four seats are released on the same flight for a day that works for you.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Oct 24, 2017 at 10:35 am
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Bartolo
I’ve done it. Not so bad as I thought. Being upfront helped. You can use their lounge or SQ lounge in SYD because there’s a bit of a layover. Can’t remember how long.

They used a Dreamliner on my flight out of SYD and the service was superb. Pods are much better than AC. Felt roomier in the cabin.
SYD-AKL is operated 3-4 daily with a mix of 77E,77W,789 which have J,PE,Y. Then there are around 2x daily A320 services with are all Y.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:31 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
If one has a confirmed award reservation with SQ-NZ, the SQ flight being in J and the NZ flight being in Y (because J was not available at time of booking), is it possible if later on, the NZ flight becomes available for miles in J that I could change the Aeroplan reservation without paying more miles? Because after all, a SQ-NZ combo all in J costs the same number of miles as SQ in J and NZ in Y.

I guess this question is not specific to SQ/NZ... that situation might happen with any airline combo or even within the same airline on two different flights.

But the portion of my question which is specific to NZ: do they make J redemptions available at the last minute? Clearly, booking J in advance with miles is nearly impossible, but what happen less than one week before, if J is wide open? Do they remain stingy?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:10 pm

We got lucky last year: Aeroplan had to buy us 2 revenue flights on NZ's AKL-YVR after our UA leg AP booking (AKL-SFO) was cancelled. Don't count on such good luck, though.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
If one has a confirmed award reservation with SQ-NZ, the SQ flight being in J and the NZ flight being in Y (because J was not available at time of booking), is it possible if later on, the NZ flight becomes available for miles in J that I could change the Aeroplan reservation without paying more miles? Because after all, a SQ-NZ combo all in J costs the same number of miles as SQ in J and NZ in Y.

I guess this question is not specific to SQ/NZ... that situation might happen with any airline combo or even within the same airline on two different flights.

But the portion of my question which is specific to NZ: do they make J redemptions available at the last minute? Clearly, booking J in advance with miles is nearly impossible, but what happen less than one week before, if J is wide open? Do they remain stingy?
Yes, if J opens up, you can call in and change, only paying any tax/fee difference.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes, if J opens up, you can call in and change, only paying any tax/fee difference.
Just to be clear, reward space or any J seat? I find this very confusing and was almost in the same position myself recently.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:56 am

Just to be clear, reward space or any J seat? I find this very confusing and was almost in the same position myself recently.
I called and was told there is still no J award space even though there are J seats available, and that I should ask again at check-in at the airport.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Reward.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:49 pm

At the airport I was told that there were J seats available but that I had to call Aeroplan to find out if there were award J seats available. I answered that Aeroplan told me I had to ask at the airport because within 24 hours they cannot do anything. Not only the aircraft departed with empty J seats, but NZ tried to up-sell me J, then Y+, then the Y couch seats, all of which I refused because I had already paid for a J seat on this ticket with miles and felt I would be double-paying NZ and as a matter of principle I am not inclined to reward an airline for being stingy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.