Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan online redemption issues forcing people to call in..ripoff?

Old Oct 20, 17, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles

Hi guys,

Havent been here in a while. Last flown in 2015. Trying to redeem for 2 J class tickets on NH - YYZ-ORD-NRT or HND but keep running into weird stuff

When I look for availability, I go YYZ to NRT/HND and I don't get any direct flight. And flights I don't want ie on United.

So I try ORD - HND and instead of giving me NH or UA direct, it sends me on a 1 stop to YYZ to take AC 5 to HND.. So then I know for sure AC 5 has seats so I look up YYZ to HND and it sends me to ICN to take OZ instead. ...!!

Is this system stupid? or they really desperate for us to call in and make money from the call? How much they charge now? is it still $30 per ticket?

Old Oct 20, 17, 9:26 am
alc

I don't have an answer why the direct flight will not show up for you. But in regarding the booking fee, I do think it is still $30:

https://www.aeroplan.com/terms_and_c...tion=rewardair

15. Flight rewards may be redeemed through the Aeroplan Contact Centre for a service fee of C$30.00 plus taxes per ticket. This fee is non-refundable.
If you can provide your date(s), maybe someone can check if there indeed an I seat available.
Old Oct 20, 17, 9:27 am
Moderator, Air Canada

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
$30 per ticket for a phone booking, yes. Some people have reported getting that fee waived when there are IT glitches like this that prevent you from booking on the website, but YMMV.
Old Oct 20, 17, 9:33 am

$30 phone fee is per ticket btw. Aeroplane IT system is stacked against you. Doesn't facilitate semi-complex itineraries, frequently prioritizes high fee carriers like AC and LH

the phone fee is the cost of doing business

at least the agents, in most cases, are nice which is surprising as I would expect morale to be terrible
Old Oct 20, 17, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Air Canada and Aeroplan have been star blocking for years. AC wants to make sure you fly AC and pay scam charges, they share them with Aeroplan.
Old Oct 20, 17, 10:03 am

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Originally Posted by Ichinensei View Post
When I look for availability, I go YYZ to NRT/HND and I don't get any direct flight. And flights I don't want ie on United.

So I try ORD - HND and instead of giving me NH or UA direct, it sends me on a 1 stop to YYZ to take AC 5 to HND.. So then I know for sure AC 5 has seats so I look up YYZ to HND and it sends me to ICN to take OZ instead. ...!!
If you want to book AC 5, showing this to the agent and have them replicate it just might get the fee waived.

But yeah, if you want to do NH through ORD, you'll end up paying the $30/ticket if it's not on the website.

If it's any consolation, when I called in to change a ticket they didn't re-charge the $30. They said it's a one-time thing.
Old Oct 20, 17, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by grandgourmand View Post
Doesn't facilitate semi-complex itineraries, frequently prioritizes high fee carriers like AC and LH
Originally Posted by flybit View Post
Air Canada and Aeroplan have been star blocking for years. AC wants to make sure you fly AC and pay scam charges, they share them with Aeroplan.
Yeah, except when it does the opposite, like the OP described:

Originally Posted by Ichinensei View Post
Old Oct 23, 17, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Yeah, except when it does the opposite, like the OP described:
Our examples are not the same as the OP's, but the issue/challenge is the same: having to call in to book a flight due to Aeroplan's lackluster website.
Old Oct 24, 17, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by grandgourmand View Post
Our examples are not the same as the OP's, but the issue/challenge is the same: having to call in to book a flight due to Aeroplan's lackluster website.
I agree, but the two posts I quoted were stating often-repeated incorrect information.
Old Dec 28, 17, 5:01 pm

Programs: AC S100K, Bonvoy Titanium
Running into another issue where an itinerary is not bookable on the web site, agent has to piece it together and won't waive the $30 fee. Great way to build customer loyalty with the 2020 deadline around the corner.
Old Dec 28, 17, 6:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by flybit View Post
AC shares the scamcharges with ae? Is that substantiated?
Old Dec 28, 17, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E50K, WS Gold, AA Plat, Hertz PC, National EE
I have this issue all the time. Aeroplan.com is a joke.

Some agents say they will waive it, some don't. Your call if you want to hang up and wait 2 hours for $30.

My strategy:

Immediately open with "Hey, your website is having issues and I can't book it online. Can you please book it for me and waive the $30 fee because I am unable to on Aeroplan.com"?

GL
midnightmartini likes this.
Old Dec 28, 17, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo View Post
AC shares the scamcharges with ae? Is that substantiated?
AC scam charges are passed on to AC.

AP call centre fees stay at AP.
Old Dec 29, 17, 11:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by imverge View Post
AC scam charges are passed on to AC.
flybit was implying AC shares the scamcharges with ae. That's what the question was about, to ask for evidence of the sharing.
Old Dec 29, 17, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo View Post
flybit was implying AC shares the scamcharges with ae. That's what the question was about, to ask for evidence of the sharing.
There is certainly no revenue line or description of revenue that would signify that AE shares in scamcharge revenue. AE's (Aimia actually) revenues are:
- Sale of loyalty units
- Services related to direct marketing, sales promotion and the design, development and administration of loyalty programs
- Analytics and insight services
- Trademark and licensing/royalty fees
- Managing AC's FF program (Altitude)

Sure, it could be buried - but given that it would seem to be a significant amount to have no mention whatsoever as a revenue or expense implies it is a straight pass-through that isn't recognized on the revenue/expense sheet.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: