FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC appeared to be introducing co-pay for SE100K upgrades but was IT glitch (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1872812-ac-appeared-introducing-co-pay-se100k-upgrades-but-glitch.html)

gabdusch Oct 19, 2017 3:24 am

AC appeared to be introducing co-pay for SE100K upgrades but was IT glitch

Was just playing with the eUpgrade calculation tool and noticed to my surprise that for SE100K, co-pay is now apparently applicable to all international upgrades to J from low-Flex.

For example, YYZ-HKG requires a 850.00 co-pay from Flex (Q, V).

No co-pay required from Flex (H, M, U) or from Premium Economy (O, E, N).

It also appears low-Flex can no longer be upgraded to Premium Economy at all.

Will post screenshots later, I’m on my phone now.

I really, really hope this is a glitch. Can any SE with active international bookings in low-Flex confirm this information?

EDIT: It appears this was just an IT glitch due to the branded fares rollout, which has since been fixed. No policy change as of now.

jc94 Oct 19, 2017 3:52 am

$850 would be higher than now anyway right? It's 500 or 750 right now unless from Tango.

Did you try calling them? Given AC IT still offers bidding up from J and 25% off free seats as posted recently.

gabdusch Oct 19, 2017 4:03 am

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 28950671)
$850 would be higher than now anyway right? It's 500 or 750 right now unless from Tango.

Did you try calling them? Given AC IT still offers bidding up from J and 25% off free seats as posted recently.

Right, it’s like low-Flex is now treated like Tango for co-pay calculation.

I did not call AC as I have no active international booking in low-Flex right now.

I will try calling later and just ask.

alc Oct 19, 2017 5:33 am

3 Attachment(s)
I think this is what gabdusch is referring to:
Attachment 42048

-- added info --

And looking at the general eUpgrade Requirement page, the above result does not match what showing below under the "normal" non promotion requirement:
Attachment 42049

It is as what jc94 said, it look more like the current Promo requirement:
Attachment 42050

canopus27 Oct 19, 2017 6:43 am

I see the same thing, and I'm equally confused. If true, it's a significant downgrade.

If it wasn't an international flight, I'd suggest it was just a mistake caused by more branded fare confusion.

capedreamer Oct 19, 2017 6:52 am

If true, this would be the final straw for me. Have been debating switching to DL or UA for a while, so maybe this is the kick I needed. Please keep us posted!

flybit Oct 19, 2017 7:01 am

Originally Posted by capedreamer (Post 28951051)
If true, this would be the final straw for me. Have been debating switching to DL or UA for a while, so maybe this is the kick I needed. Please keep us posted!

i left and never looked back the other side of the fence is greener. :D

jeffypop75 Oct 19, 2017 7:11 am

I have a flight to LHR this weekend in Flex V. Shows 21 credits + $600 co-pay in the preview calculator and when trying to request an upgrade. Huge devaluation if this is not an error.

Diabeetus Oct 19, 2017 7:16 am

Originally Posted by capedreamer (Post 28951051)

I agree it is a crappy, unannounced, and sudden devaluation.

I also feel this is not a big benefit for SE's to begin with. Most are better off buying a fare in PY (or confirming immediately from Y/B/O) if attempting to upgrade internationally, as the upgrade priority is higher from PY.

gabdusch Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Diabeetus (Post 28951128)
I agree it is a crappy, unannounced, and sudden devaluation.

I also feel this is not a big benefit for SE's to begin with. Most are better off buying a fare in PY (or confirming immediately from Y/B/O) if attempting to upgrade internationally, as the upgrade priority is higher from PY.

True, and for my trips to Asia I usually buy PY for the reasons you mention.

But I also buy 2-3 Europe Flex FPs per year and these book into V. Premium Economy to Europe is often quite pricey and at ~1400 R/T the Flex FP was a great value for the routes I fly.

I find it frustrating that there has been zero advance warning from AC and this change has literally been implemented overnight.

Hoping to hear more from AC soon.

jc94 Oct 19, 2017 7:41 am

And FWIW as a non SE I was still seeing M to J as $500 co-pay Intl like a week ago...

These enhancements, excepting branded fare fun and games, are normally start of altitude year no? I would be surprised if this wasn't an IT error or ... a change IT made and released early before the paper pushers drafted a release. Wouldn't be the first time.

YYT82 Oct 19, 2017 8:02 am

We are back to 2001/2002 when FF found out about program "enhancements" through IT changes. I laugh every time the younger SEs on this board think the program will be better in 2020 post AE.

canopus27 Oct 19, 2017 8:45 am

If this is an intentional change, it does seem odd that the official charts (here, which link to here) were not also updated.

gabdusch Oct 19, 2017 8:52 am

2 Attachment(s)
Some more examples :

Attachment 42058

Attachment 42059

alc Oct 19, 2017 9:06 am

let's hope this is indeed an error and they just need separate to 2 lines for Tango (V,Q) and Flex (V,Q)