Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Connecting through YYZ on AC delayed twice & canceled twice; compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting through YYZ on AC delayed twice & canceled twice; compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by capljina614
man, Im not to privy with all that, the guy said everything was hell around thanksgiving in Canada because they picked a crazy time to strike.

I flew LHR-YYZ on time

YYZ-CMH was canceled
I assume this was recent? Thanksgiving was 9 days ago ... Can't be using that as an excuse now.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:04 pm

yyz-cmh

yep. then they suggested I get on the flight to Cincinnati and pay for a 150 mile taxi out of pocket. so I go to Cinci gate and get denied.
If you booked LHR-YYZ-CHM on AC and they delayed your arrival in CHM by more than 4 hours, my understanding of the EU261 rules is that you are entitled to 600 Euros compensation. However, claiming that 600 Euros from AC will be very difficult.

You cannot claim anything for the lost business deal.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:22 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Stranger
First, I don't believe the "flight cancelled because there were only seven people." That just does not happen and I cannot imagine them telling you something like that.
it does happen. it doesn't happen a lot but it does happen on ac and qk.

how would I go about claiming under eu261/ wording this reply email?

do email and physical letter. keep it brief, factual, and only stick to the things that matter: delayed leaving lhr, delayed ARRIVING at your destination by x amount of hours, these were not extraordinary circumstances. bear down for a long ... wait, and anticipate ac making you an offer less than what you're entitled. don't take less than what you are entitled, in cash.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Did they give you a boarding pass for YYZ - CVG? Or were you just told to head to the gate?

And which AC agent gave you the option of going to CVG? The gate agent for YYZ - CMH? The customer service centre? Phone agent?
told to just go to gate by customer service desk got there she lets on one guy before me gets on walkie talkie denies me
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:43 am
Original Poster

so I found a template letter regarding 261

sent it

got this back

Thank you for your follow-up email about the cancellation of your flight from Toronto to Ohio. I’m really sorry your trip was delayed and you missed out on an opportunity. We know our customers are eager to get to their destination, and it’s inconvenient to have to wait.

"We understand you are claiming compensation under the Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament. However, Air Canada is not a Community carrier and this flight was departing from Canada and not the EU. In cases where flights are not operated by Community carriers, the EU Regulations 261/2004 applies where passengers are departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies. As your flight was departing from Toronto Pearson International Airport in Canada, we cannot offer the compensation you have requested.

The goodwill travel discount was offered to demonstrate our regret for the lapse in our usual high standard of service. While we realize this does not meet your expectation, we earnestly hope you will accept this in the manner it was intended."
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sent it

got this back

Thank you for your follow-up email about the cancellation of your flight from Toronto to Ohio. I’m really sorry your trip was delayed and you missed out on an opportunity. We know our customers are eager to get to their destination, and it’s inconvenient to have to wait.

"We understand you are claiming compensation under the Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament. However, Air Canada is not a Community carrier and this flight was departing from Canada and not the EU. In cases where flights are not operated by Community carriers, the EU Regulations 261/2004 applies where passengers are departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies. As your flight was departing from Toronto Pearson International Airport in Canada, we cannot offer the compensation you have requested.

The goodwill travel discount was offered to demonstrate our regret for the lapse in our usual high standard of service. While we realize this does not meet your expectation, we earnestly hope you will accept this in the manner it was intended."
Looks like you were not clear enough...
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
You need to highlight that your journey included a flight leaving the UK, so EU 261 applies at the very least to LHR - YYZ - CMH.

From Wikipedia... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight...ation_261/2004

In October 2017, a EU Court of Appeal confirmed the UK CAA's interpretation that the final destination must be included in the total delay. This means that, if the passenger misses a connection outside the EU and ends up with a delay longer than the times indicated above, even if the delay on the flight leaving the EU was inferior to the aforementioned times, the total delay will be used and not only the delay on leaving the EU.[6]

--------------

Not sure how that ruling will apply in your case though, if your LHR - YYZ was on-time.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Looks like you were not clear enough...
most of your posts come with a condescending undertone, if you have no intentions to help what is your purpose here?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
You need to highlight that your journey included a flight leaving the UK, so EU 261 applies at the very least to LHR - YYZ - CMH.
Actually include *an AC flight* leaving the UK.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
most of your posts come with a condescending undertone, if you have no intentions to help what is your purpose here?
I'm not saying this is the case here, but a lot of people asking for help have no idea what happened, what they want, or what they're entitled to, and are then given advice, don't follow it, and come back complaining.

Actually include *an AC flight* leaving the UK.
^

If one wants to make an EU261 claim, it might help to read the actual rules.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
But does the UK CAA decision affirm that the cancelation of a connecting flight (YYZ-CMH) on a non-EU carrier, departing from outside the EU on an itinerary that originated in the EU, entitle one to compensation? Because that's entirely different from missing a flight because your connecting flight is late -- and it sounds like the TATL was on time in this case, too
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:11 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
but cc was likely right. you either did not clearly state your itenerary and how ec261 jurisdiction applies. or they didn't read your letter. one of the two.

read ec261 and just do your own letter, making sure you touch all the points (delay at destination, jurisdiction, not extraordinary circumstance). shouldn't be more than 200 words.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Maybe he should pay one of you $5 to write it for him. He's probably wasted how long following this thread? lol
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:14 pm

sent it

got this back

It is unlikely that AC will offer compensation without a fight. You need to tell them you were flying LHR-YYZ-CMH, provide the original flight numbers and dates, state that the YYZ-CMH flight was cancelled and you were rebooked the following day, arriving in CMH xxx hours late. Then state that since this was an AC itinerary that originated in Europe, you would like to claim 600 Euros compensation under EU261. Keep your letter as short as possible -- the other details (reason for the flight cancellation, missed client opportunity, etc.) don't matter. AC may still deny your claim, in which case be prepared to escalate it. You may need to follow up with examples of legal precedents, etc. (see above, or do some Google searches). Read the EU261 rules yourself so you know exactly what you are entitled to and under which circumstances they apply. There's also an option to pay one of several European companies who specialize in EU261 claims to make the claim for you for a 25% fee.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm not saying this is the case here, but a lot of people asking for help have no idea what happened, what they want, or what they're entitled to, and are then given advice, don't follow it, and come back complaining.

^

If one wants to make an EU261 claim, it might help to read the actual rules.
It’s clear as day in this thread that lhr -yyz and yyz-Cmh are both AC and it’s even more clear in the emails as they have all booking numbers itineraries dates times everything.

if one wants to critique posts it might help to read the thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.