Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Connecting through YYZ on AC delayed twice & canceled twice; compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Connection through YYZ on AC I was delayed twice and canceled twice told to be re-reouted had that canceled as well.
stayed in Canada until the next day.

as a result missed a meeting to close on a deal and subsequently lost out to someone who under bid us a few hours later.

so make things worse the person as the gate was absolutely deplorable, wouldn't even look at me constantly cutting me off telling me "it's not my problem" "there's a strike yada yada yada"

when I reach Customer Service I find out the flight is canceled because there was only 7 people on it.

I emailed AC about my issues and they suggested I take a 25% coupon but am I right to want more? people were getting 800 dollars left and right to be bumped to later flights.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:39 pm

What was the itinerary? Statutory compensation differs by route. Unfortunately the tariffs usually provide for a quantum of liquidated damages for events like these, so you probably do not have a claim for the loss of business over and above the amounts set forth. (but I am not a lawyer).
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitz
What was the itinerary? Statutory compensation differs by route. Unfortunately the tariffs usually provide for a quantum of liquidated damages for events like these, so you probably do not have a claim for the loss of business over and above the amounts set forth. (but I am not a lawyer).
BEG-LHR-YYZ-CMH

long day turned into a veeeeeery long day
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by capljina614
as a result missed a meeting to close on a deal and subsequently lost out to someone who under bid us a few hours later.
It's smarter to charter.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC 75K
I would try to claim under EU261 rules.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Connection through YYZ on AC I was delayed twice and canceled twice told to be re-reouted had that canceled as well.
stayed in Canada until the next day.

so make things worse the person as the gate was absolutely deplorable, wouldn't even look at me constantly cutting me off telling me "it's not my problem" "there's a strike yada yada yada"

when I reach Customer Service I find out the flight is canceled because there was only 7 people on it.

I emailed AC about my issues and they suggested I take a 25% coupon but am I right to want more? people were getting 800 dollars left and right to be bumped to later flights.
First, I don't believe the "flight cancelled because there were only seven people." That just does not happen and I cannot imagine them telling you something like that. Nice that you would have been able to reach customer service BTW. Most of us cannot except when they call back after a month or so...

Second, what strike was that? Where? Is thee another airline involved? In other words, the "not my problem " thing might have been true, or not?

As to missing an important deal, one should be aware that schedule is never guaranteed and some issues with flying can be unpredictable.

Being bumped is another issue. Does not seem to apply. 25% is about as good as it gets. Price of making you go away...
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
What strike was this that the employee mentioned?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
I would try to claim under EU261 rules.
If the flight *to* YYZ was on AC. Mention of a strike sounds like while continuation might have been on AC, perhaps not arrival?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

LHR to YYZ was on AC

I believe it was air traffic control or something along those lines striking.
@Stranger that is 100% fact, both of those excuses were told to me by AC staff, why would I make that up?

it is her problem. she is the gate agent at my gate to my flight which was canceled and left me stranded in another country.

how would I go about claiming under eu261/ wording this reply email?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LHR to YYZ was on AC

I believe it was air traffic control or something along those lines striking.
@Stranger that is 100% fact, both of those excuses were told to me by AC staff, why would I make that up?

it is her problem. she is the gate agent at my gate to my flight which was canceled and left me stranded in another country.

how would I go about claiming under eu261/ wording this reply email?
ATC strike was in France, no? So it must have affected the first leg, not the AC flight? Should not affect LHR-YYZ should it?

And which flight was cancelled?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: TK *G
Many AC front line employees are good at making funny excuses. I doubt "only 7 people" was the reason for cancellation.

Did AC give you anything to prove that your flight is delayed? If not ask for one and see what's the reason for delay. With that you can file insurance claims at least.

As for missed business opportunities, Mention that if you want to complain on CBC
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
ATC strike was in France, no? So it must have affected the first leg, not the AC flight? Should not affect LHR-YYZ should it?

And which flight was cancelled?
man, Im not to privy with all that, the guy said everything was hell around thanksgiving in Canada because they picked a crazy time to strike.

I flew LHR-YYZ on time

YYZ-CMH was canceled
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Which flight was delayed OP?

Looks like you were booked onto the last YYZ - CMH flight of the night, based on your other threads... Was that the flight with "only 7 people" that was cancelled? What options were initially provided to you for a re-route? I don't believe there'd have been any flights to CMH available that late at night, unless you were were re-routed into CVG on DL?

Edit -

Ok, just saw your other post - were you given other options out of YYZ to CMH?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Which flight was delayed OP?

Looks like you were booked onto the last YYZ - CMH flight of the night, based on your other threads... Was that the flight with "only 7 people" that was cancelled?
yyz-cmh

yep. then they suggested I get on the flight to Cincinnati and pay for a 150 mile taxi out of pocket. so I go to Cinci gate and get denied.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
yyz-cmh

yep. then they suggested I get on the flight to Cincinnati and pay for a 150 mile taxi out of pocket. so I go to Cinci gate and get denied.
Did they give you a boarding pass for YYZ - CVG? Or were you just told to head to the gate?

And which AC agent gave you the option of going to CVG? The gate agent for YYZ - CMH? The customer service centre? Phone agent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.