Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Post your Super Elite S100K 2018/19 Benefit Year Qualification/Requalification Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post your Super Elite S100K 2018/19 Benefit Year Qualification/Requalification Here!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by financeguy
The Altitude website says that I have qualified for a higher status and will be able to select privileges next year (I am currently 75k). Sort of strange because I have 113,899 miles, 44 segments, but only $19,000 AQD. Is the dollar qualification strict? (I still have enough flying before the end of the year that I will pass 20,000 anyway, so if this is a mistake it's not a problem) Anyone seen this before?
Interesting--I am about $450 short but well over 100k AQD and still no update on my status. Not that it will be an issue. I don't really want to qualify before I use up my priority rewards (2 left to go). Did your priority rewards reset yet?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
To my surprise, once I surpassed 1MM last year I just lost interest in chasing status. Maybe it was because I realized I would fall short as the AQD requirement cut into my bottom-feeding habit!
Anyhow; projections for this year, after redeeming a ton of points before they become 'worthless' in 3 years time are: $12k AQD, 45k AQM and 20 AQS - which is OK with me as I will qualify for 'E50-FOR-LIFE'.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Nothing seems has reset. (this is actually my first year travelling with AC, so I am not exactly sure what will reset.)
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: SE100K, AEROPLAN 3MM, QANTAS CC, AMEX BLACK, FAIRMONT PLATINUM
Originally Posted by james dean
wow, that's impressive. May I ask without getting too personal: are most of your flights long haul International? I ask because man, that's a lot of time to spend in tube...I can see doing YVR-YYJ-YVR a few times per week to get the 100 segments which of course each leg is like 15 minutes, that would get you to SE status easily...
vast majority long haul - YVR to SYD, YYZ to SCL and similar....it has been a LOT of hours in a tube but typically not a lot of segments. I have actually had 300K AQM years without having 60 segments.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
AQM: 105,560
AQS: 63
AQD: $22,702 (some still to post)

Just passed 100k on Friday. Still have about 20k miles in more flights before the end of the year. Down from my all-time peak of 175k last year. I think 120k is typical for me the last several years.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
If you could explain how that can be done I would appreciate it. If you don't want to make it public, please send me a private message. Thanks!
Sorry for the delayed response. Nothing unusual. AC changed the rules starting 2017 and AQD is accounted for by AC flights on non 014 ticket and for all flights on 014 tickets. Hope this helps. If you need further clarification do send me a pm.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ac777
Sorry for the delayed response. Nothing unusual. AC changed the rules starting 2017 and AQD is accounted for by AC flights on non 014 ticket and for all flights on 014 tickets. Hope this helps. If you need further clarification do send me a pm.
Just to clarify - all “star alliance member” flights. For example, Cathay connection flights do not earn AQD.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by financeguy
The Altitude website says that I have qualified for a higher status and will be able to select privileges next year (I am currently 75k). Sort of strange because I have 113,899 miles, 44 segments, but only $19,000 AQD. Is the dollar qualification strict? (I still have enough flying before the end of the year that I will pass 20,000 anyway, so if this is a mistake it's not a problem) Anyone seen this before?
Originally Posted by JordanYVR
I see the same thing. Over 100K AQM but the AQD hasn’t posted yet. Shows that I’ve reached a higher status, the dollar wheel shows a little to go.
Same here. About 105,000 AQM showing and ~ 16,000 AQD but it says I'll be bumped to a higher status (currently 75k). Several flights are showing blank for AQD but didn't think it was as high as $4k.

An amusing data point: I recently applied for Nexus. The time from application to approval was shorter than the time it takes AC to post AQD.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC E, BA Bronze, HHonors Gold
I am ~$2,000 short to qualify for SE (already above 100K AQM). I have a trip booked later in December but it's with United, so no chances to get any more AQD there. I am tempted to buy a flight pass, but I am wondering if the AQD will be credited now or gradually after each segment flown? Any other creative ideas to reach the spending limit?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Originally Posted by After Burner
Same here. About 105,000 AQM showing and ~ 16,000 AQD but it says I'll be bumped to a higher status (currently 75k). Several flights are showing blank for AQD but didn't think it was as high as $4k.
My AQD posted today, and dashboard looks the same. Still says "Beginning early next year, you will be bumped up to your new level of privileges.".

Not sure if showing this earlier was a bug, or if it knew about the incoming AQD. Either way - hopefully awaiting a sweep before January.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by uni3052
I am ~$2,000 short to qualify for SE (already above 100K AQM). I have a trip booked later in December but it's with United, so no chances to get any more AQD there. I am tempted to buy a flight pass, but I am wondering if the AQD will be credited now or gradually after each segment flown? Any other creative ideas to reach the spending limit?
Assuming you're not talking about unlimited flight passes, AQDs are credited after segments are flown. And you'll often be credited much less than the actual prorated spend.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by JordanYVR
My AQD posted today, and dashboard looks the same. Still says "Beginning early next year, you will be bumped up to your new level of privileges.".

Not sure if showing this earlier was a bug, or if it knew about the incoming AQD. Either way - hopefully awaiting a sweep before January.
My dashboard was updated today too with a reduction in the number of missing AQD entries. Still showing "you will be bumped" and still showing less than $20k AQD.

My suspicion is that the "you will be bumped" message is correct. Some system in the deep background knows that you will be promoted to SE and has passed this info to the web host platform. The process that appears to be hopelessly buggy is the display of individual AQD details and the corresponding total.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:24 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by After Burner
Assuming you're not talking about unlimited flight passes, AQDs are credited after segments are flown. And you'll often be credited much less than the actual prorated spend.
AC deducts AIFs, ATSC, etc from the pro-rated per credit amounts.

But they often seem to monkey with some of those when calculating the AQD. I challenged them on some of these earlier this year and the amounts they were using seemed to be based on fixing them at a fairly round number. I think some US tax should have been C$23 or so at market exchange rate but AC was using C$25.00.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
AC deducts AIFs, ATSC, etc from the pro-rated per credit amounts.

But they often seem to monkey with some of those when calculating the AQD. I challenged them on some of these earlier this year and the amounts they were using seemed to be based on fixing them at a fairly round number. I think some US tax should have been C$23 or so at market exchange rate but AC was using C$25.00.
Yes, they do seem to "monkey" with these numbers, and with zero transparency. I compared AQDs posted for a purchased flight with AQDs posted for a flight pass credit flight. Both in J, both identical routings. For the purchased flight, the AQD amount was about $100 less than the purchase amount. Using the flight pass it was about $300 less than the prorated credit value.

To add insult to injury, if you were (for example) to buy a 10 credit pass for $15,000 but only use 5 of the credits before expiry, you'll only get AQDs based on $7500. AC makes pure profit out of the $7500 but credits you nothing.

It's not difficult to understand why so many people feel such utter contempt for Air Canada.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
There is a strangeness with GST/HST. If the flight pass allows flights to both Canada and US, the AQD is calculated as if it is a Canadian flight with the taxes at that rate. The US is lower.

I wrote to them because I fly on a pass which is only US destinations and the assumed tax rate was wrong. I got higher AQD this year. They do fix things sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.