Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Refund Inbound Aeroplan Award Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Refund Inbound Aeroplan Award Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Refund Inbound Aeroplan Award Ticket

Booked IAD - DEL - IAD for relative in J for 150k miles.

Outbound was on Sept 4 and Inbound is scheduled for Nov 28. For some reasons, she may not be able to get back until Dec 2018. Called CS to check for options on refund and cancellation. They said refunding 50% of miles was not an option. They said I could cancel, but will have to rebook for same passenger with cancellation fee within 1 year; otherwise miles will be forfeited.

What are my options? Could I pay change fee and move Inbound to August 2018 and then change it again in August 2018 to Dec 2018?

Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:43 pm
alc

Once round-trip ticket had used on the outbound, you can't refund the miles back to your account any more. So, it is my understanding that what the AP agent told you are indeed the only option, is cancel the return flight for now (for free) and you have up to 1 year to use this return portion and when you ready to book the flight, that is when you will get charge for the change fee + any tax/surchages changes.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by alc
Once round-trip ticket had used on the outbound, you can't refund the miles back to your account any more. So, it is my understanding that what the AP agent told you are indeed the only option, is cancel the return flight for now (for free) and you have up to 1 year to use this return portion and when you ready to book the flight, that is when you will get charge for the change fee + any tax/surchages changes.
Understood. However, the problem is passenger may not be able to take the flight within 1 year. Is it possible to keep paying the change fee and keep extending the ticket beyond the initial 1 year window?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:56 pm
alc

Originally Posted by hokiebuy
Understood. However, the problem is passenger may not be able to take the flight within 1 year. Is it possible to keep paying the change fee and keep extending the ticket beyond the initial 1 year window?
I don't think this is an option. If there is a special reason, I suggest ask to speak to a supervisor for any exception. I have an unused ticket refund within 21 days due to medical reason . I offer to fax in proof and the supervisor said not require , he said he will take my words for it. And it was not even from my account, I was helping a relative calling in to inquire what options we have

Good Luck
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alc
I don't think this is an option. If there is a special reason, I suggest ask to speak to a supervisor for any exception. I have an unused ticket refund within 21 days due to medical reason . I offer to fax in proof and the supervisor said not require , he said he will take my words for it. And it was not even from my account, I was helping a relative calling in to inquire what options we have

Good Luck
But was that half a ticket, or a whole ticket?

I've also had really good luck getting fees waived when I say "I have to move/cancel this flight because grandmother is in the hospital". But I've never been able to get a refund for half a round-trip.

If I don't need a stopover, and I'm not using IKK, I alway book one-ways.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:32 pm
alc

Originally Posted by canadiancow
But was that half a ticket, or a whole ticket?

I've also had really good luck getting fees waived when I say "I have to move/cancel this flight because grandmother is in the hospital". But I've never been able to get a refund for half a round-trip.

If I don't need a stopover, and I'm not using IKK, I alway book one-ways.
Sorry, should had been more clear. It was a one-way ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.