Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page > YUL is AC's fastest growing hub in S17

YUL is AC's fastest growing hub in S17

Reply

Old Oct 12, 17, 12:03 pm
  #1
Thread Starter
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 46,645
YUL is AC's fastest growing hub in S17

http://www.anna.aero/2017/10/12/mont...ng-hub-in-s17/

Montreal, with 10% of Air Canada’s overall departing seat capacity in S17, is the Canadian national carrier’s third largest airport operation after Toronto Pearson (27% of departing seat capacity) and Vancouver (12%). These figures include operations from Air Canada Rouge and Air Canada Express. When referring to OAG schedules, Air Canada has increased seat capacity from Pearson by 6.0% this summer and 9.2% from Vancouver. However the growth strategy for the airline from Montreal is more significant, with it being the only major hub for the airline to be reporting double-digit growth in S17. It should be noted that Calgary has only seen a 1.0% increase in one-way seats this summer from Air Canada.
tcook052 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 1:58 pm
  #2
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: sqrt(-united states of apologist)
Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Posts: 4,348
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
It should be noted that Calgary has only seen a 1.0% increase in one-way seats this summer from Air Canada.
I think that's because YYC isn't a hub.

Or is it?

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 12, 17 at 2:04 pm Reason: fix quote
SparseFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 2:15 pm
  #3
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: YYZ
Posts: 1,128
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
I think that's because YYC isn't a hub.

Or is it?
Well, what's the difference between "hub" and "focus city"? Apparently 1% growth isn't good enough for hub, but it is ok for a focus city.
songsc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 2:15 pm
  #4
cur
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,789
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
I think that's because YYC isn't a hub.

Or is it?
it is considered one, apparently.
cur is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 2:41 pm
  #5
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, BA Bronze, Fairmont Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Posts: 4,161
Originally Posted by songsc View Post
Well, what's the difference between "hub" and "focus city"? Apparently 1% growth isn't good enough for hub, but it is ok for a focus city.
No, at 1%, it's the slowest-growing hub, but AC reiterated the hub status at the investor day a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure why we're back to talking about this nonsense again.
Adam Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 3:21 pm
  #6
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: YVR
Programs: AC*A
Posts: 403
What a good time to renovate the security and check-in area then!
Orcair is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 3:41 pm
  #7
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: YVR
Programs: Former Aeroplan Elite; now free as a bird
Posts: 1,143
While technically accurate, listing an airport as the "fastest growing" in its category is a bit disingenuous, as adding seat capacity to a smaller starting figure will of course result in a higher percentage of growth relative to the larger players of Toronto & Vancouver. I'm unsure of the value in hub-to-hub comparisons, but might it be more informative to analyze comparative growth as a trend, rather than as a seasonal snapshot viewed in isolation?

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
AC reiterated the hub status at the investor day a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure why we're back to talking about this nonsense again.
Why the seeming insecurity about whether or not YYC is an AC hub vs a focus city? How does it noticeably affect anything?

Mind you, if Calgarians feel better knowing YYC serves as a bona-fide hub for Lethbridge, Medicine Hat and a portion of the Red Deer traffic, who are we to take that away from them?
CZAMFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 6:39 pm
  #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 18,693
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer View Post



Why the seeming insecurity about whether or not YYC is an AC hub vs a focus city? How does it noticeably affect anything?

Mind you, if Calgarians feel better knowing YYC serves as a bona-fide hub for Lethbridge, Medicine Hat and a portion of the Red Deer traffic, who are we to take that away from them?
You forgot Red Deer North, AKA YEG.
Stranger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:27 pm
  #9
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: トロント
Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Plat, ANA, Avios
Posts: 3,419
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer View Post
While technically accurate, listing an airport as the "fastest growing" in its category is a bit disingenuous, as adding seat capacity to a smaller starting figure will of course result in a higher percentage of growth relative to the larger players of Toronto & Vancouver.
Yes, exactly. I recall that roller derby was the "fastest growing sport" in North America, but that really means jack squat. Same with franchises that market themselves on "fastest growing".

Great percentage growth, but meaningless
mapleg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 12:59 am
  #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Posts: 20,726
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
I think that's because YYC isn't a hub.

Or is it?
Look at the recent expansion. It is clearly a hub!

A true hub uses Anamaniacs cartoon buggies to shuttle people through two kilometres of dead space.
vernonc likes this.
yyznomad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 11:12 am
  #11
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: YUL
Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS
Posts: 4,533
Originally Posted by Orcair View Post
What a good time to renovate the security and check-in area then!
ok I lol’d
Orcair likes this.
ffsim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 11:36 am
  #12
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE 1MM, SPG LT PLT
Posts: 2,417
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Look at the recent expansion. It is clearly a hub!

A true hub uses Anamaniacs cartoon buggies to shuttle people through two kilometres of dead space.
You are shooting fish in a barrel.

Pick on somebody your own size. That could fight back. This is just punching a kid in a wheelchair. (And the MeepMeep busses are the least of the airport's problems.)
ridefar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 11:38 am
  #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Posts: 20,726
Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
You are shooting fish in a barrel.

Pick on somebody your own size. That could fight back. This is just punching a kid in a wheelchair. (And the MeepMeep busses are the least of the airport's problems.)
Meep meep!

As for YUL, there is no doubt that those who have travelled through/to/from there in the past couple of years have noticed the bunch of, dare I say, "improvements" including that of AC. I despise YUL less than YYC.
yyznomad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 12:55 pm
  #14
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: sqrt(-united states of apologist)
Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Posts: 4,348
Im happy to see FOTSG finally appreciating the grandeur of YUL.

You know you love it. Don't lie.

it's like when Anglos sleep with Francos for the first time. They end up moving to Saguenay.
SparseFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 1:14 pm
  #15
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE 1MM, SPG LT PLT
Posts: 2,417
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
Im happy to see FOTSG finally appreciating the grandeur of YUL.

You know you love it. Don't lie.

it's like when Anglos sleep with Francos for the first time. They end up moving to Saguenay.
Ha. Francos... 'cause if you aren't throwing something you aren't communicating.



Little less hot, little less crazy in a worthwhile tradeoff you know...
ridefar is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:11 am.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright © 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.