Go Back   > > >

Old Oct 12, 17, 11:03 am   #1
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

YUL is AC's fastest growing hub in S17

http://www.anna.aero/2017/10/12/mont...ng-hub-in-s17/

Montreal, with 10% of Air Canada’s overall departing seat capacity in S17, is the Canadian national carrier’s third largest airport operation after Toronto Pearson (27% of departing seat capacity) and Vancouver (12%). These figures include operations from Air Canada Rouge and Air Canada Express. When referring to OAG schedules, Air Canada has increased seat capacity from Pearson by 6.0% this summer and 9.2% from Vancouver. However the growth strategy for the airline from Montreal is more significant, with it being the only major hub for the airline to be reporting double-digit growth in S17. It should be noted that Calgary has only seen a 1.0% increase in one-way seats this summer from Air Canada.
tcook052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 12:58 pm   #2

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
It should be noted that Calgary has only seen a 1.0% increase in one-way seats this summer from Air Canada.
I think that's because YYC isn't a hub.

Or is it?

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 12, 17 at 1:04 pm Reason: fix quote
SparseFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 1:15 pm   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post

Or is it?
Well, what's the difference between "hub" and "focus city"? Apparently 1% growth isn't good enough for hub, but it is ok for a focus city.
songsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 1:15 pm   #4
cur

Quote:

Or is it?
it is considered one, apparently.
cur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 1:41 pm   #5

Programs: AC SE100K, BA Bronze, Fairmont Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by songsc View Post
Well, what's the difference between "hub" and "focus city"? Apparently 1% growth isn't good enough for hub, but it is ok for a focus city.
No, at 1%, it's the slowest-growing hub, but AC reiterated the hub status at the investor day a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure why we're back to talking about this nonsense again.
Adam Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 2:21 pm   #6

Programs: AC*A
What a good time to renovate the security and check-in area then!
Orcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 2:41 pm   #7

Programs: Former Aeroplan Elite; now free as a bird
While technically accurate, listing an airport as the "fastest growing" in its category is a bit disingenuous, as adding seat capacity to a smaller starting figure will of course result in a higher percentage of growth relative to the larger players of Toronto & Vancouver. I'm unsure of the value in hub-to-hub comparisons, but might it be more informative to analyze comparative growth as a trend, rather than as a seasonal snapshot viewed in isolation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
AC reiterated the hub status at the investor day a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure why we're back to talking about this nonsense again.
Why the seeming insecurity about whether or not YYC is an AC hub vs a focus city? How does it noticeably affect anything?

Mind you, if Calgarians feel better knowing YYC serves as a bona-fide hub for Lethbridge, Medicine Hat and a portion of the Red Deer traffic, who are we to take that away from them?
CZAMFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 5:39 pm   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer View Post

Why the seeming insecurity about whether or not YYC is an AC hub vs a focus city? How does it noticeably affect anything?

Mind you, if Calgarians feel better knowing YYC serves as a bona-fide hub for Lethbridge, Medicine Hat and a portion of the Red Deer traffic, who are we to take that away from them?
You forgot Red Deer North, AKA YEG.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 7:27 pm   #9

Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Plat, ANA, Avios
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer View Post
While technically accurate, listing an airport as the "fastest growing" in its category is a bit disingenuous, as adding seat capacity to a smaller starting figure will of course result in a higher percentage of growth relative to the larger players of Toronto & Vancouver.
Yes, exactly. I recall that roller derby was the "fastest growing sport" in North America, but that really means jack squat. Same with franchises that market themselves on "fastest growing".

Great percentage growth, but meaningless
mapleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 11:59 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:

Or is it?
Look at the recent expansion. It is clearly a hub!

A true hub uses Anamaniacs cartoon buggies to shuttle people through two kilometres of dead space.
vernonc likes this.
yyznomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 10:12 am   #11

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcair View Post
What a good time to renovate the security and check-in area then!
ok I lol’d
Orcair likes this.
ffsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 10:36 am   #12

Programs: AC SE 1MM, SPG LT PLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Look at the recent expansion. It is clearly a hub!

A true hub uses Anamaniacs cartoon buggies to shuttle people through two kilometres of dead space.
You are shooting fish in a barrel.

Pick on somebody your own size. That could fight back. This is just punching a kid in a wheelchair. (And the MeepMeep busses are the least of the airport's problems.)
ridefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 10:38 am   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
You are shooting fish in a barrel.

Pick on somebody your own size. That could fight back. This is just punching a kid in a wheelchair. (And the MeepMeep busses are the least of the airport's problems.)
Meep meep!

As for YUL, there is no doubt that those who have travelled through/to/from there in the past couple of years have noticed the bunch of, dare I say, "improvements" including that of AC. I despise YUL less than YYC.
yyznomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 11:55 am   #14

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Im happy to see FOTSG finally appreciating the grandeur of YUL.

You know you love it. Don't lie.

it's like when Anglos sleep with Francos for the first time. They end up moving to Saguenay.
SparseFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 12:14 pm   #15

Programs: AC SE 1MM, SPG LT PLT
Quote:
Im happy to see FOTSG finally appreciating the grandeur of YUL.

You know you love it. Don't lie.

it's like when Anglos sleep with Francos for the first time. They end up moving to Saguenay.
Ha. Francos... 'cause if you aren't throwing something you aren't communicating.

Little less hot, little less crazy in a worthwhile tradeoff you know...
ridefar is offline   Reply With Quote