FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   YUL is AC's fastest growing hub in S17 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1871671-yul-acs-fastest-growing-hub-s17.html)

tcook052 Oct 12, 2017 11:03 am

YUL is AC's fastest growing hub in S17

http://www.anna.aero/2017/10/12/mont...ng-hub-in-s17/

Montreal, with 10% of Air Canada’s overall departing seat capacity in S17, is the Canadian national carrier’s third largest airport operation after Toronto Pearson (27% of departing seat capacity) and Vancouver (12%). These figures include operations from Air Canada Rouge and Air Canada Express. When referring to OAG schedules, Air Canada has increased seat capacity from Pearson by 6.0% this summer and 9.2% from Vancouver. However the growth strategy for the airline from Montreal is more significant, with it being the only major hub for the airline to be reporting double-digit growth in S17. It should be noted that Calgary has only seen a 1.0% increase in one-way seats this summer from Air Canada.

SparseFlyer Oct 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 28924506)
It should be noted that Calgary has only seen a 1.0% increase in one-way seats this summer from Air Canada.

I think that's because YYC isn't a hub.

Or is it?

songsc Oct 12, 2017 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 28925002)

Or is it?

Well, what's the difference between "hub" and "focus city"? Apparently 1% growth isn't good enough for hub, but it is ok for a focus city. :D

cur Oct 12, 2017 1:15 pm

Or is it?

it is considered one, apparently.

Adam Smith Oct 12, 2017 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by songsc (Post 28925106)
Well, what's the difference between "hub" and "focus city"? Apparently 1% growth isn't good enough for hub, but it is ok for a focus city. :D

No, at 1%, it's the slowest-growing hub, but AC reiterated the hub status at the investor day a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure why we're back to talking about this nonsense again.

Orcair Oct 12, 2017 2:21 pm

What a good time to renovate the security and check-in area then!

CZAMFlyer Oct 12, 2017 2:41 pm

While technically accurate, listing an airport as the "fastest growing" in its category is a bit disingenuous, as adding seat capacity to a smaller starting figure will of course result in a higher percentage of growth relative to the larger players of Toronto & Vancouver. I'm unsure of the value in hub-to-hub comparisons, but might it be more informative to analyze comparative growth as a trend, rather than as a seasonal snapshot viewed in isolation?

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
AC reiterated the hub status at the investor day a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure why we're back to talking about this nonsense again.

Why the seeming insecurity about whether or not YYC is an AC hub vs a focus city? How does it noticeably affect anything?

Mind you, if Calgarians feel better knowing YYC serves as a bona-fide hub for Lethbridge, Medicine Hat and a portion of the Red Deer traffic, who are we to take that away from them?

Stranger Oct 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer (Post 28925500)

Why the seeming insecurity about whether or not YYC is an AC hub vs a focus city? How does it noticeably affect anything?

Mind you, if Calgarians feel better knowing YYC serves as a bona-fide hub for Lethbridge, Medicine Hat and a portion of the Red Deer traffic, who are we to take that away from them?

You forgot Red Deer North, AKA YEG.

mapleg Oct 12, 2017 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer (Post 28925500)
While technically accurate, listing an airport as the "fastest growing" in its category is a bit disingenuous, as adding seat capacity to a smaller starting figure will of course result in a higher percentage of growth relative to the larger players of Toronto & Vancouver.

Yes, exactly. I recall that roller derby was the "fastest growing sport" in North America, but that really means jack squat. Same with franchises that market themselves on "fastest growing".

Great percentage growth, but meaningless

yyznomad Oct 12, 2017 11:59 pm

Or is it?

Look at the recent expansion. It is clearly a hub!

A true hub uses Anamaniacs cartoon buggies to shuttle people through two kilometres of dead space.

ffsim Oct 13, 2017 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Orcair (Post 28925414)
What a good time to renovate the security and check-in area then!

ok I lol’d :D

ridefar Oct 13, 2017 10:36 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 28927006)
Look at the recent expansion. It is clearly a hub!

A true hub uses Anamaniacs cartoon buggies to shuttle people through two kilometres of dead space.

You are shooting fish in a barrel.

Pick on somebody your own size. That could fight back. This is just punching a kid in a wheelchair. (And the MeepMeep busses are the least of the airport's problems.)

yyznomad Oct 13, 2017 10:38 am

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 28928556)
You are shooting fish in a barrel.

Pick on somebody your own size. That could fight back. This is just punching a kid in a wheelchair. (And the MeepMeep busses are the least of the airport's problems.)

Meep meep! :D

As for YUL, there is no doubt that those who have travelled through/to/from there in the past couple of years have noticed the bunch of, dare I say, "improvements" including that of AC. I despise YUL less than YYC. :p

SparseFlyer Oct 13, 2017 11:55 am

Im happy to see FOTSG finally appreciating the grandeur of YUL.

You know you love it. Don't lie.

it's like when Anglos sleep with Francos for the first time. They end up moving to Saguenay.

ridefar Oct 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 28928868)
Im happy to see FOTSG finally appreciating the grandeur of YUL.

You know you love it. Don't lie.

it's like when Anglos sleep with Francos for the first time. They end up moving to Saguenay.

Ha. Francos... 'cause if you aren't throwing something you aren't communicating.

:)

Little less hot, little less crazy in a worthwhile tradeoff you know...