Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Promo: Up to 3X AP Miles on All Flights

New Promo: Up to 3X AP Miles on All Flights

Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by songsc

Also it's kind of interesting that when calculating the value of the miles you need to consider the value of the miles. It's a recurrence equation. I can solve it once I get a piece of paper.

it's not that complicated. The miles for the reward, plus the miles that would be accrued on a revenue ticket equals the price of the revenue ticket minus the fees on the reward.

Nowadays I seldom get more than 2 cts/mile. Also, should be on a trip that you would take anyway even if you need to purchase the revenue ticket.

If latitude is less than P, then the latitude is what I use. No marginal value for upgrade credits.

If within the upgrade window, then flex if there is R. If only P/Z and latitude is cheaper than P/Z then Latitude.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
This doesn't seem to say anything about bookings having to be made on aircanada.com, does it? I don't see anything at first glance at least.

That's... actually a very generous promo.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Stranger
it's not that complicated. The miles for the reward, plus the miles that would be accrued on a revenue ticket equals the price of the revenue ticket minus the fees on the reward.
Yea right. I was thinking that:
cpm' = cpm - (accrued miles / redeemed miles) * cpm',
=> cpm' = cpm / (1 + accrued miles / redeemed miles),
where cpm is simply cent per mile, cpm' is adjusted for unearned mileage.
See, I like to make things over complicated

Originally Posted by Stranger
Nowadays I seldom get more than 2 cts/mile. Also, should be on a trip that you would take anyway even if you need to purchase the revenue ticket.

If latitude is less than P, then the latitude is what I use. No marginal value for upgrade credits.

If within the upgrade window, then flex if there is R. If only P/Z and latitude is cheaper than P/Z then Latitude.
Nowadays I usually use miles for TPAC flights in J on BR and sometimes on NH, and long haul J in NA. My cpm is usually around 3 unless I fly TPAC F. If considering "a trip that you would take anyway even if you need to purchase the revenue ticket", then my cpm will probably be around 1.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Agree this is a very generous promo. Problem is I already have more than enough Aeroplan miles.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:41 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Finally an offer that will entice me to book a few flights!^

Wouldn't you really prefer bonus AQDs?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by songsc
No.

The bonus mile does not apply to COS bonus.

It's 3 times bonus miles, not miles x3. So expect x4.25 AP miles for PY.
I am confused. Your number of 4.25 is way more then my calculation.

I guess its all in the interpretation of of the term "3x bonus miles". Does that mean I am getting a "bonus" of 3x miles or 3X the bonus I get in PE which 25%. The bonus miles I get on this route at 25% is 2985, so 3X that + regular miles =20,900.

Not sure how to interpret this offer.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
deleted

Last edited by Jasper2009; Oct 14, 2017 at 7:10 am
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by DavidYYC

I guess its all in the interpretation of of the term "3x bonus miles". Does that mean I am getting a "bonus" of 3x miles or 3X the bonus I get in PE which 25%. The bonus miles I get on this route at 25% is 2985, so 3X that + regular miles =20,900.

Given that Tango is 50% bonus miles it wouldn't make sense for the 2x bonus to be only 2x25, essentially the same bonus.

More likely it's what the person above wrote, either 3x100% miles or BONUS 3x100% (100 + 3x100)

Not sure which of those two options, though.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by DavidYYC

The promo specifies this:
Bonus Aeroplan Miles will be applied exclusively towards miles earned based on the distance flown as per the fare mileage accrual rule. The class of service bonus miles and miles earned in conjunction with the Altitude Bonus Select Privileges are excluded.

So then, my interpretation (so far) is literally 3 x the miles you would normally earn, but on the base.

Example (using rough figures here)

YYZ-HND -6400 miles one way, 12,800 return (plus class of ticket factor to diminish or increase that, but true mileage is 12,800).

Therefore if booked under the promo should earn using PE in this example:

12,800 miles x 3=38,400

Add 25% of base for PE 3,200

Total 41,600

Of this total only the 12,800 and 3,200 are AQ miles, the rest are standard AE miles.

Add whatever else you get based on your Altitude status-

Anyone disagree with this methodology?

Last edited by mapleg; Oct 13, 2017 at 9:04 pm
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by cperciva
I'm guessing that one of those was supposed to be YVR-NRT, since they claim that this offer applies to all flights to Asia but that route is conspicuously absent from the list
I believe so. But it would be interesting when someone don't get anything for YVR-NRT and one clueless AC agent looks up and says it's not included. SEL, BJS can be problematic too.

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Not sure which of those two options, though.
The T&C on AC website isn't very clear on the percentage. But when AC had similar promotions, they used the words "double the miles" for base mile + 100% bonus + COS bonus. Therefore I believe x3 bonus miles means base miles + 300% bonus + COS bonus.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by mapleg
The promo specifies this:
Bonus Aeroplan Miles will be applied exclusively towards miles earned based on the distance flown as per the fare mileage accrual rule. The class of service bonus miles and miles earned in conjunction with the Altitude Bonus Select Privileges are excluded.

So then, my interpretation (so far) is literally 3 x the miles you would normally earn, but on the base.

Example (using rough figures here)

YYZ-HND -6400 miles one way, 12,800 return (plus class of ticket factor to diminish or increase that, but true mileage is 12,800).

Therefore if booked under the promo should earn using PE in this example:

12,800 miles x 3=38,400

Add 25% of base for PE 3,200

Total 41,600

Of this total only the 12,800 and 3,200 are AQ miles, the rest are standard AE miles.

Add whatever else you get based on your Altitude status-

Anyone disagree with this methodology?
Entirely agree with your assessment. This is how it has been with past promos; total of 3x Aeroplan miles based on miles flown (not COS). You get the normal 1x (what you fly) + 2x promo = 3x the miles.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wouldn't you really prefer bonus AQDs?
No.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I can't remember the last time a promo like this happened.
There's no point in anal-yzing this... it's a good promo.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad
There's no point in anal-yzing this...
Hey, welcome to FT. You must be new here.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
Hey, welcome to FT. You must be new here.
Thanks for the welcome!

But seriously this is a good promo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.