Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missing 1st leg of multicity trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Skipping first leg of flight?

I'm trying to book a flight from Toronto to a caribbean destination. Direct, it's more expensive than having a +20 hour stopover in Montreal. When I try to book it directly from Montreal, the cheaper option is then a +20 hour stopover in Toronto.

Would I be able to buy the YUL-YYZ-DESTINATION ticket and skip the first leg? Or would that cancel everything? And why would they price it this way, in a way that no matter which city you choose, the cheaper option is the non-direct flight?

Thanks
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:04 pm
alc

no show will result having all remaining of your flights on that booking be cancel.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
It's priced the way it is because airlines know that most travelers will pay more to avoid a 20-hour connection!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:26 pm

If it's that much cheaper, maybe fly YYZ-YUL-YYZ-DESTINATION?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Missing 1st leg of multicity trip

If I have the following itinerary:

Kingston to YYZ 28 Oct 2017
YYZ to NYC 13 Dec 2017
NYC to Kington (through YYZ) 5 Jan 2018

What happens if i miss the first trip, either by just not showing up or by calling air canada and notifying them that I can't make it? Will the rest of my itinerary still hold, or will they cancel everything?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
If you no-show the whole itinerary will auto-cancel

If you phone them they will reprice direct from YYZ, plus applicable change fees
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:50 am
alc

the rest of the ticket will be void

2 min too slow to ajeleonard
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Haha, too slow indeed!

WHen you say "reprice direct from YYZ", that means issuing a new ticket?

The reason I'm asking is because I made a stupid mistake last year and cancelled a ticket I had bought on aeroplan miles, thinking it'll be alright as I''ll use it this year. I was given a year to use them or lose them. What I didn't realize is that I have a year to start the itinerary (i.e. my first departure). I was thinking "OK, if my ticket was cancelled on Nov. 1st 2016, then I'll just book my christmas holiday tickets before Nov 1 2017." Nope, I need to fly out before that date.

So I thought, I'm living in Toronto, let me book a multicity itinerary coming to Toronto before that date, then from Toronto to my christmas holiday destination and back to Kingston via Toronto. It works, I think, but that would mean I have to drive to Kingston just to take the 30-min flight from there to Toronto?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:14 am
alc

Originally Posted by sepandee
Haha, too slow indeed!

WHen you say "reprice direct from YYZ", that means issuing a new ticket?

The reason I'm asking is because I made a stupid mistake last year and cancelled a ticket I had bought on aeroplan miles, thinking it'll be alright as I''ll use it this year. I was given a year to use them or lose them. What I didn't realize is that I have a year to start the itinerary (i.e. my first departure). I was thinking "OK, if my ticket was cancelled on Nov. 1st 2016, then I'll just book my christmas holiday tickets before Nov 1 2017." Nope, I need to fly out before that date.

So I thought, I'm living in Toronto, let me book a multicity itinerary coming to Toronto before that date, then from Toronto to my christmas holiday destination and back to Kingston via Toronto. It works, I think, but that would mean I have to drive to Kingston just to take the 30-min flight from there to Toronto?
if this is an Aeroplan ticket, it might be a bit easier as that will be no fare diff recalculation, but you are still subject to the change fee.

or you can do this:
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 583
Size:  101.1 KB

once you arrive, you can Uber / Taxi to the Airport.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

As OP asked the same question once recently please note I've merged the two threads.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
As OP asked the same question once recently please note I've merged the two threads.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.
It's a different question with similarities, but thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by sepandee
It's a different question with similarities, but thanks!
No, it's the same exact question. The cities involved are irrelevant.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
If it's an award ticket, coughing up the change fee to drop the first leg is likely much easier than spending time and money to get to Kingston. You might save $50 at the expense of 4+ hours of your time.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eigenvector
If it's an award ticket, coughing up the change fee to drop the first leg is likely much easier than spending time and money to get to Kingston. You might save $50 at the expense of 4+ hours of your time.
alc said the same thing: "might be easier". What do you mean exactly by that, if I may ask? If I call in 3 days before the flight to cancel my first flight, then is a new ticket going to be reissued? If that's the case, then the miles required for the christmas tickets may have increased (it is christmas after all, and it cost more miles than normal and has to be bought on the market fair). And what's the fee associated with this change?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eigenvector
But then the departure would be more than a year after the initial issuance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.