Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyckerr
My question is how much responsibility does Amadeus as an integration partner have in these failures?
Moral, technical, legal?

If it ever gets to it, I'm sure Amadeus will respond "out system works, your data was broken." Or "our system works, the rules you wrote were broken" or "our system works and we recommended and requested x months of testing by your end users, and you only allowed for a 2 hour demo", etc.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Moral, technical, legal?

If it ever gets to it, I'm sure Amadeus will respond "out system works, your data was broken." Or "our system works, the rules you wrote were broken" or "our system works and we recommended and requested x months of testing by your end users, and you only allowed for a 2 hour demo", etc.
Technical. Surely this isn’t 100% on AC. Sure as far as customer facing it is, but in real life, how much of this Is on Amadeus? Do they have a history of rollout issues?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:24 am

Technical. Surely this isn’t 100% on AC. Sure as far as customer facing it is, but in real life, how much of this Is on Amadeus? Do they have a history of rollout issues?
This is a question that only people with inside knowledge can answer. For us outsiders the answer is “it depends.” It depends on the contract between AC and Amadeus and which party was responsible for which items. Amadeus could have full responsibility, zero responsibility, or partial. I suspect that as was speculated up thread that the issue isn’t with Amadeus itself, but with all of the things AC bolted on to RES III that aren’t working as hoped; these issues could have all been in AC’s scope to address pre/post data migration.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:27 am

Well aware I’m a customer of AC and not Amadeus. That wasn’t my question.

My question is how much responsibility does Amadeus as an integration partner have in these failures?

With these complex migrations, it entirely depends on how AC provided their deliverable to Amadeus and legacy items that needed to be carried over. more likely than not, the majority of the fault lies with AC as they did not realize/forgot some items and cross dependencies and their schema to Amadeus and have a flawed product.

much like the phoenix pay system and countless other IT migration projects, the client simply doesn't provide a full wholesome picture and realize all the legacy apps and dependencies that need to also be included in their tender documents.

at my organization (10k+ employees), we've gone through almost 5 years of a HR migration project that was supposed to take a couple of years with endless PM/consultants trying to get it to work but the complexity and unrealized dependencies and legacy apps and other items were not realized when we went to market and had the vendor come in with so much change orders and things we never thought of/realized that it's been a nightmare and we pulled the plug and started from scatch again.
yyckerr likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by HangTen
It'll make an interesting short / buying opportunity when they sneak 4Q numbers out, my guess, on Feb 14th, the Friday before the Feb Stat Holiday in most of Canada.
Guess again

Their Q4 release is already scheduled for Feb 19.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have core systems, such as RESIII and airport departure control. My guess is, Amadeus was contracted to deal with these, and they appear to have dealt with the RESIII migration. Then we have all these add-on stuff. Aeroplan, upgrades, AGM and AQD etc. Which AC dealt with using band aid stuff hanging off RESIII. I doubt Amadeus (1) had canned solutions ready for these, and (2) I doubt they would have included these in their scope. Then there is the issue of agent/people training. Which again surely was the responsibility of AC, not Amadeus.

Anyway, to me it looks like amadeus has done their job so far and AC underestimated the mess they would have to deal with at their end. And/or was unwilling to believe the cost/effort the thing would entail on their end, surprise, surprise. But then also impact on booking losses... You get what you pay for I suppose. :-)
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking at "My bookings" today, it's quite different compared with yesterday. First, unsuccessful bookings that appeared as "cancelled" are gone. Second, Aeroplan bookings on my account but in my wife's name now show up. Third, a booking that starts on another airline now shows up on the last as the last segment of the return; when looking at the detailed booking, it's more or less OK though. Old PNRs are gone, only the "new" (or not so new) Amadeus codes are indicated. List is complete BTW.

Same as before: now two (now includes my wife's reward) trips show with the wrong date on the summary, correct inside. Pre-migration still won't allow changes online.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:22 am

I don't think it really matters who is at fault - Amadeus or AC. The end customer experience doesn't change when blame is assigned.

FWIW, I work with Amadeus software in a different industry. They are generally difficult to reach, poorly responsive & revenue-impacting issues take much longer to address than they should.
yyckerr likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by cedric
FWIW, I work with Amadeus software in a different industry. They are generally difficult to reach, poorly responsive & revenue-impacting issues take much longer to address than they should.
This is the kind of thing I was wondering about.

I’m not trying to assign blame. I’m curious.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Stranger
Looking at "My bookings" today, it's quite different compared with yesterday. First, unsuccessful bookings that appeared as "cancelled" are gone. Second, Aeroplan bookings on my account but in my wife's name now show up. Third, a booking that starts on another airline now shows up on the last as the last segment of the return; when looking at the detailed booking, it's more or less OK though. Old PNRs are gone, only the "new" (or not so new) Amadeus codes are indicated. List is complete BTW.

Same as before: now two (now includes my wife's reward) trips show with the wrong date on the summary, correct inside. Pre-migration still won't allow changes online.
Similar as me then. Also, for multi-segments trips, the first stop shows as the destination. As in, if I have a YQB-YUL-YVR RT, it shows as Quebec to Montreal in the itinerary column in the My Bookings tab. Confusing as heck.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:32 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by 24left
Thanks for sharing this piece of puffery. My fave line is :

As we approach the transition in November, your Air Canada Team are going to be “all hands on deck” to ensure a smooth transition for you and our joint customers.
I guess the key phrase here is "approach the transition".

Apparently after the transition some of the "hands" left the deck to go have celebratory drinks in the bar. And, in the background, the band played on ...
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasdou
Also, for multi-segments trips, the first stop shows as the destination. As in, if I have a YQB-YUL-YVR RT, it shows as Quebec to Montreal in the itinerary column in the My Bookings tab. Confusing as heck.
Most of mine are like that, but one actually shows the last segment...
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I changed a one-way YYZ-SFO to a multi-city SFO-YVR-YYZ-SFO, and it shows as "Toronto to San Francisco".

I also have a YYZ-CPT-JNB-YYZ that shows up as FRA-CAI

But it's really nice that everything shows up.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:48 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Here's an odd datapoint. Or maybe half a point.

I had sent in a couple of questions/compliants post-migration via the usual AC.com Contact page. For one (not being to access my profile) I got the usual generic increased volume, blah, blah, blah BS response via email. My profile now works, so that has been resolved.

But for the other one (the inability to change a FP flight due to a lack of payment information which I couldn't update on their site), I got an actual phone call from someone a few days later.

I'm calling this half a datapoint because the caller ID was unrecognized so it went straight to voicemail before I could pick up.They said that they would call me again, which they have not. But this was from AC Customer Service.

Has anyone else received a call like this from AC?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Here's an odd datapoint. Or maybe half a point.

I had sent in a couple of questions/compliants post-migration via the usual AC.com Contact page. For one (not being to access my profile) I got the usual generic increased volume, blah, blah, blah BS response via email. My profile now works, so that has been resolved.

But for the other one (the inability to change a FP flight due to a lack of payment information which I couldn't update on their site), I got an actual phone call from someone a few days later.

I'm calling this half a datapoint because the caller ID was unrecognized so it went straight to voicemail before I could pick up.They said that they would call me again, which they have not. But this was from AC Customer Service.

Has anyone else received a call like this from AC?
I have received calls numerous times after writing in. Once was about a FP, and it was not a call from customer service, it was a call from someone more involved with FPs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.