FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1870491-air-canada-moving-amadeus-communication-issues-ap-ac-post-migration-result.html)

D582 Aug 17, 2018 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by zrh2yvr (Post 30088948)
I expect that Aeroplan is working directly in RES III with logins and access control commensurate to their needs. They can likely pull up any AC PNR directly and can build AE itineraries. I think they are allocated pseudo-city QAE - -

So - on going to Amadeus, AE will also have all of their agents switch as well.

Yup - Aeroplan bookings happen directly in RES III. Whether AE agents have 'native' or 'cryptic' access is a different matter. Some very likely do which is what would happen when they 'long sell' a segment directly. The AE website, or at least whatever backend components interact with RES III, and any internal GUI or overlay tools AE uses will likely have to change.

Amadeus does have established web services components and APIs though that airlines can use (vs. Air Canada's current situation of having to develop everything "themselves").

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 30094636)
Actually, it looks like when one buys on aircanada.com, ticket already is issued on amadeus. And I believe this has already been the case for quite a while. E-mail confirmation is actually sent by amadeus:

AC's website uses the Amadeus booking engine and has for a very, very long time. Additionally, you are correct - AC has used Amadeus as its ticketing platform for quite some time (i.e. when AC issues a ticket, the master ticket record exists in Amadeus' ticketing platform.) So in theory there is not really much to migrate.

Hopefully, they will also at some point start creating 'Shadow PNRs' in Amadeus for every PNR created in RES III, and even going backwards to older active PNRs. If there is a long enough lead time, there will be very little if any data to migrate at cutover.

One other thing that has been mentioned before but is an important point to re-emphasise is that Amadeus is designed as a 'community platform'. All airlines that use it as a reservation system essentially work in the same system, and if you have a PNR that involves multiple Amadeus-hosted airlines, all airlines work directly in the same PNR. Certain information may not be view-able or changeable by all airlines depending on who created the PNR etc, but there are no issues of out of sync data when there is not any data to sync. This is why the record locator is the same across Amadeus airlines. And if your travel agent also uses Amadeus as its GDS, the locator they gave you will also be the same as they will also work in the same PNR.

D582 Aug 17, 2018 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 30095344)
IIRC, AC uses an Amadeus system to build/price tickets through its online platform. Basically they file their fares with Amadeus, and they take care of search and price.

But ultimately, the ticket ends up being booked on RESIII once the website passes the info through to it. If the bookings are HOSTED on A1, then there's something new that happened.

The reservation is booked in RES III, but the ticket platform is still Amadeus (btw their IATA code is 1A :) )

Stranger Aug 17, 2018 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 30095344)
IIRC, AC uses an Amadeus system to build/price tickets through its online platform. Basically they file their fares with Amadeus, and they take care of search and price.

But ultimately, the ticket ends up being booked on RESIII once the website passes the info through to it. If the bookings are HOSTED on A1, then there's something new that happened.

Other piece of header:

Received: from mail3.amadeus.net (82.150.225.79) by
[...]
SMTP Server id xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx via Frontend Transport; Mon, 4 Jun 2018 14:51:50
+0000
Received: from MUCEAP264 (unknown [171.17.134.1])
by mail3.amadeus.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 83EFG553020
for <[email protected]>; Mon, 34 Jul 2018 17:51:49 +0000 (GMT)
Date: Mon, 34 Ju 2018 14:51:49 +0000
To: <[email protected]>
Message-ID: <17326885902.3472.1517123819558.JavaMail.MUCEAP264 [email protected]>
Subject: Air Canada - 09 Sep: Calgary - Naples (Booking Reference: AAAAAA)
Seems to me the e-mail is sent by amadeus, from a server likely in Munich: MUCEAP264 (unknown [171.17.134.1])

Host does not resolve and route goes to Germany and then gets lost.

SparseFlyer Aug 17, 2018 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by D582 (Post 30095370)
The reservation is booked in RES III, but the ticket platform is still Amadeus (btw their IATA code is 1A :) )

Woops! Thank you :)

But is the ticket platform really Amadeus? I know AC bought an Amadeus ticket changer to automate their ticket reprice-reissue as an add-on to resiii, but I didn't think the etkt issuance was also Amadeus. If it was AC wouldn't have needed to buy that special changer wouldn't they?

And isn't their platform also supported by Sabre (also why many travel agencies use AA in Canada)? I'm fairly certain the true AA GDS can issue its own tickets.

But yeah, talk about a tangent.

skybluesea Aug 23, 2018 8:50 am

More on transition, possibly folks who understand NDC can explain in lay terms for us.

https://www.sita.aero/pressroom/news...JzWlYydGd5QSJ9

Air Canada advances its product distribution capabilities with NDC exchange connection

ATPCO and SITA today announced that launch customer Air Canada processed its first NDC (New Distribution Capability) production transaction via NDC Exchange, a platform that simplifies the adoption of the International Air Transport Association’s (IATA) NDC standard.

Stranger Aug 23, 2018 9:24 am

Originally Posted by skybluesea (Post 30119999)
More on transition, possibly folks who understand NDC can explain in lay terms for us.

ATPCO and SITA today announced that launch customer Air Canada processed its first NDC (New Distribution Capability) production transaction via NDC Exchange, a platform that simplifies the adoption of the International Air Transport Association’s (IATA) NDC standard.

Seems like is it some sort of communication interface.

But talk about BS...

new distribution ecosystem
Total turnoff as far as I am concerned.

RangerNS Aug 23, 2018 9:33 am

The NDC Standard enables the travel industry to transform the way air products are retailed to corporations, leisure and business travelers, by addressing the industry’s current distribution limitations:
  • Product differentiation and time-to-market
  • Access to full and rich air content
  • Transparent shopping experience

I guess it'll mean different airlines and TAs will be able to not lie to you about what you get on a code share.

Stranger Aug 23, 2018 9:45 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 30120228)
I guess it'll mean different airlines and TAs will be able to not lie to you about what you get on a code share.

"Able not to lie?" ??? :D

Won't have an excuse anymore if they try to, I would say. But guess what, they'll still try...

YYZC2 Aug 25, 2018 12:02 am

Many feel IATA's NDC standard is primarily a vehicle for dynamic pricing (or if you prefer, discriminatory pricing) and other potentially customer-unfriendly advancements.

​​​I have no particular opinion on the matter but there is much debate on the topic, including some in the US Senate, if you care to Google it.

daniellam Feb 7, 2019 3:37 pm

Can anyone with information provide an update as to what the current progress of this project is? It is my understanding that they wanted this project (or at least the reservations system part) to be done by March 2019 with PNRs migrated over etc.

Completion dates for the following?
- Reservation staff training on Amadeus Reservation
- Migration of reservations system to Amadeus along with PNR migration
- Migration of Aeroplan reservations to Amadeus
- Airport check-in staff training on Amadeus Customer Management
- Migration of departure control system to Amadeus (schedule by station?)
- Migration of flight loading / balancing to Amadeus

mellon Feb 7, 2019 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam (Post 30751650)
Can anyone with information provide an update as to what the current progress of this project is? It is my understanding that they wanted this project (or at least the reservations system part) to be done by March 2019 with PNRs migrated over etc.

yes when is changeover we don't want to be flying AC that DAY :)

D582 Feb 7, 2019 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam (Post 30751650)

AC has not announced anything yet. There will be a public announcement as customers will be impacted (and bookings will get new locators). So unlikely to be March 2019.

Jebby_ca Apr 29, 2019 3:54 pm

March 2019 has come and gone... any ideas when Amadeus will go live at AC? Or has AC made an annoucement that I've missed?

Bohemian1 Apr 29, 2019 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca (Post 31050095)
March 2019 has come and gone... any ideas when Amadeus will go live at AC? Or has AC made an annoucement that I've missed?

Wait for the lights to go out.

ChrisA330 Apr 29, 2019 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca (Post 31050095)

Late 2019 is the target.