FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1870491-air-canada-moving-amadeus-communication-issues-ap-ac-post-migration-result.html)

Stranger Oct 6, 17 2:48 pm


Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 28901704)
If you do everything on mobile, it remembers it all, forever.

I never have to type in the information.

But is that a good thing?

canadiancow Oct 6, 17 3:00 pm


Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 28901712)
But is that a good thing?

There are benefits and drawbacks. The former are obvious, and you've outlined the latter :p

zrh2yvr Oct 6, 17 4:17 pm

One difference between RES III and Amadeus is the identification of your "Status" for the FQTV.

In RES III - The PNR identifies your status on booking date - and that can carry through until the FQTV is refreshed if needed at a later date. However - this does not really matter because DCS will refresh the status when the flight loads 48-72 hours out.

However - Amadeus and its integrated DCS platform are taking status from booking date and not refreshing when the flight is loaded in DCS. I guess in general - this can only work to your advantage because - - if your status got lowered - - you won't tell them but you can always refresh the FQTV at checkin to get the correct status.

I know this becauas Mrs ZRH2YVR went from *G to *S on March 1 of this year - but all the bookings we made before March 1 still have her as Gold on her checking - - which allows her all the *G benefits and lounge access. . . .

On the way up a few years ago when she went from *S to *G - we had to go in and remove the Aeroplan number and then add it back again to refresh the status at departure.

That is going to create nightmares. . . (then again AC reads this so they will figure out a way to fix this).

Adam Smith Oct 7, 17 1:11 pm


Originally Posted by zrh2yvr (Post 28902005)
That is going to create nightmares. . . (then again AC reads this so they will figure out a way to fix this).

Have they made the website work with Chrome? Or work in general?

There are so many IT issues with AC that are posted here and never addressed, so it's possible that they'll fix this, or they might not. I wouldn't count on it.

Stranger Oct 7, 17 4:40 pm


Originally Posted by zrh2yvr (Post 28902005)
That is going to create nightmares. . . (then again AC reads this so they will figure out a way to fix this).

To whom? Half a dozen FT nutcases who figured this out? You think AC will care?

I guess I don't really care either BTW. My status never seems to change. Same for more than 15 years...

canopus27 Aug 15, 18 6:16 am

I'm surprised that there's been so little discussion about this change; everyone is very focused on the big switch from Aeroplan in 2020, but the Amadeus change is happening a full year before then (the release says 2019, although I can't find an exact date mentioned anywhere).

As I understand it, Amadeus will be the system of record for seat inventory. That either means that there will be a huge data migration action at some point, moments before the entire system goes live .... or they will start booking all flights beyond a certain date, directly in Amadeus when they sell them - which could be very soon now. Either way, we're likely just 12 months away from a huge switch.

Whether or not Amadeus will deliver any improvements to the customer experience, I'm both curious and terrified what the transition process will look like. I can't imagine that this will be completely seamless.

YYT82 Aug 15, 18 6:27 am


Originally Posted by canopus27 (Post 30084699)
I'm surprised that there's been so little discussion about this change; everyone is very focused on the big switch from Aeroplan in 2020, but the Amadeus change is happening a full year before then (the release says 2019, although I can't find an exact date mentioned anywhere).

As I understand it, Amadeus will be the system of record for seat inventory. That either means that there will be a huge data migration action at some point, moments before the entire system goes live .... or they will start booking all flights beyond a certain date, directly in Amadeus when they sell them - which could be very soon now. Either way, we're likely just 12 months away from a huge switch.

Whether or not Amadeus will deliver any improvements to the customer experience, I'm both curious and terrified what the transition process will look like. I can't imagine that this will be completely seamless.

The data migration could be an excellent opportunity for FF whose reservations are "lost" in the process, if you know what I mean. :D

YUL-Insider Aug 15, 18 7:18 am


Originally Posted by YYT82 (Post 30084727)
The data migration could be an excellent opportunity for FF whose reservations are "lost" in the process, if you know what I mean. :D

Jokes aside. Doesn't this mean that Aeroplan also needs to switch to Amadeus? Are Aeroplan and Air Canada working together on this migration of data and change of reservation system? It makes the battle on the FF side look even more interesting.

24left Aug 15, 18 9:29 am

I was waiting at the gate in YQB recently, and saw small blue tags with bar codes sticking/attached to the back of the Dell computers at the desks where the gate agents sit. Are these related to the overall switch to Amadeus?

RangerNS Aug 15, 18 9:31 am


Originally Posted by 24left (Post 30085285)
I was waiting at the gate in YQB recently, and saw small blue tags with bar codes sticking/attached to the back of the Dell computers at the desks where the gate agents sit. Are these related to the overall switch to Amadeus?

I'd assume not. Aren't most of the gate computers actually owned/managed by the airport? AC/Amadeus is just another VDI then AC/Legacy.

canopus27 Aug 15, 18 11:05 am


Originally Posted by YUL-Insider (Post 30084866)
Jokes aside. Doesn't this mean that Aeroplan also needs to switch to Amadeus? Are Aeroplan and Air Canada working together on this migration of data and change of reservation system? It makes the battle on the FF side look even more interesting.

No idea ... but my guess is that AC just provides APIs for Aeroplan, and Aeroplan simply interacts with them. The key question is how much of underlying AC system ends up getting exposed to Aeroplan as part of that ... but given that Aeroplan don't have the ability to sell 100% of the AC flights, I'd guess that Aeroplan does not directly talk to the core AC system. If I'm right, then Aeroplan may not need to make any changes at all.

Whether or not the stack will operate correctly or not, once the underlying system is replaced by Amadeus .... that's an entirely different question :)

KenHamer Aug 15, 18 11:52 am

Not..

Stranger Aug 15, 18 12:46 pm

Maybe that's why Ben Smith is leaving? :D

InTheAirGuy Aug 15, 18 1:07 pm


Originally Posted by canopus27 (Post 30084699)
I'm both curious and terrified what the transition process will look like. I can't imagine that this will be completely seamless.

As most of the IT experts here will tell you, it will go swimmingly. No problems at all. Nothing to watch here. It will be smooth as silk.

LOL.

(Expect havoc)

Antonio8069 Aug 15, 18 1:30 pm

when is this effective?
 
Do we actually know when this is effective?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:41 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.