Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by llbean
I am a bit concerned about the preferred seat issue for travelling companions. Has this already started?
I am taking the family home to Alberta for the holidays I have two small children. It is a rouge flights so we absolutely need the bulkheads seats.
As a SE100k it seems silly they want me to shell out a few hundred bucks for 4 preferred seats.

Anyone know how long this will last? If I book pre Nov 18 will I have access to preferred seats?
Not certain if it is mandated by law or just practice however AC will ensure kids are seated next to parents at no cost. If you call in your likely paying for just one seat assignment as the ones for the kids would be free to meet the requirement for them to being seated next to parents,
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I am a bit concerned about the preferred seat issue for travelling companions. Has this already started?
I am taking the family home to Alberta for the holidays I have two small children. It is a rouge flights so we absolutely need the bulkheads seats.
As a SE100k it seems silly they want me to shell out a few hundred bucks for 4 preferred seats.

Anyone know how long this will last? If I book pre Nov 18 will I have access to preferred seats?
I believe the restrictions will come into effect "Starting at 20:00 ET on Nov. 18". (ref)

If you book before then, you should have all your current privileges (including access to preferred seats for companions)
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Why can't you just call Concierge to resolve?
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't know how it's going to work.

It just seems like upgrades being processed in a call center are a recipe for disaster for gate agents.
This is going to be interesting at some of the smaller foreign outstations.

In the old days of printed upgrade vouchers in airports such as Zurich and Copenhagen (two of my regulars back then). Someone in Toronto would pre-process the standby/upgrade list a few hours before the flight. That would leave only the vouchers presented last minute to be done. They usually would not look very closely at the fare class restrictions. The contracted gate agents did not understand the rules all that well or it became a blend of the rules from all the different airlines they worked.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Concierges will be able to manually clear upgrades for VIP and SE at the gate.

They will also have to deduct the credits manually.

I'm not sure how this will work at hubs, but I'm now much less concerned about HKG-YVR.
I've got a couple of TATL next week for which I am waitlisted for upgrade. Curious to see how this is going to unfold. CDG Concierges have been very friendly and helpful in the past... so I will count on them!
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canopus27
I believe the restrictions will come into effect "Starting at 20:00 ET on Nov. 18". (ref)

If you book before then, you should have all your current privileges (including access to preferred seats for companions)
I completed making changes this morning to pre-existing reservations. I am in no mood to encounter any shenanigans once the migration is occurring.

I recommend making the booking today/tomorrow.
skybluesea and canopus27 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
I completed making changes this morning to pre-existing reservations. I am in no mood to encounter any shenanigans once the migration is occurring.

I recommend making the booking today/tomorrow.
@YVRtoYYZ

Completely understandable, but WHY should you have to do this when most AC tickets permit ANYTIME CHANGES.

I had this nonsense happen over a long weekend, middle of the night EST calling in from overseas, and AC Res said "sorry cannot do because nobody in the Ticketing Office is on duty to figure out the change I desired" I complained to Concierge and few days later the change was made with Executive Office intervention back to my desired request (as NO P class then available and only Z at much higher fare)

So, if AC refuses to make a change to a booking during their migration period, is this NOT strictly a violation of the Tariff?

I do NOT recall reading in the Tariff where AC gets a "TIME-OUT" for permitted changes on either full Y/J fares, or even for discounted tickets that require some form of change fee (if applicable) because of INTERNAL system requirements.

I get why you don't need shenanigans - but this appears as a unilateral change to your purchased ticket terms?

Am I missing something - and of course many screws loose, not just a few
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:55 am

skybluesea - Quite simply, I am a proactive person, especially when it comes to my travel. The shortcomings and oddities of AC IT are well known, so it makes sense to me to shore up everything before the storm comes on Monday.

Not excusing AC and the expected difficulties that will be forthcoming, but I would much rather say "I'm glad I did" instead of "I wish I had" during this cut-over.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
skybluesea - Quite simply, I am a proactive person, especially when it comes to my travel. The shortcomings and oddities of AC IT are well known, so it makes sense to me to shore up everything before the storm comes on Monday.

Not excusing AC and the expected difficulties that will be forthcoming, but I would much rather say "I'm glad I did" instead of "I wish I had" during this cut-over.
Yes, completely understood.

And for the vast majority of travelers that will get stuck in this mess, too bad for them I suppose.

For the IT folks, rather than hard cut-off, might it be possible to run parallel systems (with pre-migration data inserted), and then cut-off the old system, with updates to the new system for any migration period ticket changes?

Not sure if this is possible, or is this way too complex for the hamsters spinning the AC IT wheel?
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by skybluesea
For the IT folks, rather than hard cut-off, might it be possible to run parallel systems (with pre-migration data inserted), and then cut-off the old system, with updates to the new system for any migration period ticket changes?
Good idea. They probably didnt think of that!

You should call them on the special phone number and suggest it. Let us know how it goes.
skybluesea and canadiancow like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 11:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyckerr
Good idea. They probably didnt think of that!

You should call them on the special phone number and suggest it. Let us know how it goes.
🎯 I think the number is 1800 ACA DUMB
Old Nov 16, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Hang Onto Your Ticket Numbers

One tip here for those of you who currently have credits from previously cancelled reservations: hang onto your ticket numbers.

After the migration, agents may or may not be able to look up previously cancelled PNRs if you don't know the ticket number(s).

Me being me, I have a PNR that I intend to use just for such a test case.
Bohemian1 and 24left like this.

Last edited by YYT82; Nov 16, 2019 at 11:51 am
Old Nov 16, 2019, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
QUOTE:

"Even though Air Canada says this will only affect the reservations one can never know what the results end up being once the update starts and systems are shut down.

It would be interesting to see what happens when Air Canada gets into the situation that customer need to be rebooked to other connections after missing their flights........"

https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/11/16/...-for-two-days/
Old Nov 16, 2019, 11:48 am

Take screenshots, print records, etc of everything. Upcoming reservations, past reservations, your Altitude account, your eUp account, your Promo Codes...everything.

And after all that, bombard AC on Wednesday to make sure it is all there.
Bohemian1 and 24left like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Tit/LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Enterprise Gold, UA*S, Accor Gold, Hz 5*
So I haven't booked my tickets for this coming week yet. Just domestic Itins. Not confirmed by my clients either, and won't be till Monday am for travel Monday or Tuesday.

Jasper2009 can we book/change through you/your employer during this period?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.