FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1870491-air-canada-moving-amadeus-communication-issues-ap-ac-post-migration-result.html)

Yul_voyager Nov 14, 2019 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by t_rex (Post 31737145)
Has the updates regarding the impact of this change over on eupgrades been discussed at all here?

See info at following sites:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...eupgrades.html

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...em-update.html

Looks like disruptions, bonus credits, and no upgrades processed at the airport for some period of time....

Well that sucks, it means that you can't request an upgrade for a AC metal flight booked with another airline...

WaytoomuchEurope Nov 14, 2019 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager (Post 31738416)
Well that sucks, it means that you can't request an upgrade for a AC metal flight booked with another airline...

Wait, we can do that? Still so much to learn...

Funny thing is my first ever opportunity to do that is Monday. AC flight, UA stock. I have a travel companion. The flight is in the AM so maybe not affected by Amadeus.

canopus27 Nov 14, 2019 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by t_rex (Post 31737145)
Has the updates regarding the impact of this change over on eupgrades been discussed at all here?

See info at following sites:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...eupgrades.html

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...em-update.html

Looks like disruptions, bonus credits, and no upgrades processed at the airport for some period of time....

Wait, there's some good news here.

From: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...eupgrades.html

Additionally, by the end of the month, we’ll be providing Air Canada Altitude members with additional eUpgrade Credits which can be used through February 2021.

Super Elite 100K -- 25
Elite 75K -- 15
Elite 50K -- 10
Elite 35K -- 10
Prestige 25K -- 5

canopus27 Nov 14, 2019 9:21 pm

One of the Q&A is this one .... which, while accurate, made me laugh that it made this list (which is focused on the reservations system upgrade)

Q: I purchased a Comfort fare. How do I get my complimentary beverage onboard?

A: Simply show your boarding pass to our crew and they will be happy to provide you with a beverage.

gurka Nov 14, 2019 10:12 pm

Just got this -

Dear xxx,

Air Canada is in the process of changing its reservation system, a project we’re undertaking to improve your travel experience. The first phase takes place on the evening of November 18 and will conclude the following morning. However, it will take a few months to complete the new system rollout across all of our airports worldwide, and during this transition period, there will be some temporary changes to your Air Canada Altitude privileges:

eUpgrades must be requested at least 24 hours prior to departure
Like today, you can continue to request an upgrade within your eligible booking window on aircanada.com, but during this transition period, upgrades must be requested no later than 24 hours prior to flight departure. Note that we have expanded all eUpgrade booking windows to at least 72 hours in order to ensure your upgrade request can be processed.

eUpgrades will not be available at the airport
You will not be able to request upgrades at the airport, and unfortunately we cannot guarantee that upgrades which were not cleared prior to check‑in will not be processed at the gate, even if seat is available. In light of this, rest assured that we will work diligently to confirm more upgrades ahead of check-in. Additionally, by the end of the month, we’ll be providing you with additional eUpgrade Credits which you can use through February 2021. Learn more.

eUpgrade nominees may need to be registered again
If you register a nominee in your eUpgrade account through November 18, you will need to register them again the afternoon of November 19. Until then, you can continue to request an upgrade on behalf of a nominee who has already been registered.

eUpgrade Credits may not be refunded automatically when you Standby Early
If you choose to standby for an earlier flight at the airport on the day of departure and you accept a seat in your originally purchased cabin, your eUpgrade Credits may not be refunded automatically. In these cases, you can easily request a refund online.

Complimentary and discounted Preferred Seats will not be available to companions
Like today, you can continue to enjoy complimentary and/or discounted access to Preferred Seats. However, temporarily, this will not be available to companions travelling with you in the same reservation.

The second phase of the system rollout will occur between December and March 2020 progressively, on an airport-by-airport basis. As we upgrade each airport, you can expect that we will reintroduce all of these features. We’ll continue to communicate with you as we do so.

Over the next few months, other Air Canada products and services will also be temporarily unavailable, such as Same Day Confirmed Changes at the airport. For details on this and more, please click here.

Please pardon our dust during this transition, and thank you in advance for your understanding as we work to improve your experience as an Air Canada Altitude member.

Air Canada

asovse1 Nov 14, 2019 10:22 pm

Aeroplan online refunding fee reduced to $75: https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/n...1_2019_11_14#/

Important information for Aeroplan members
Changes to our reservation system are coming.

Air Canada is in the process of migrating to a new reservation system, a project we're undertaking to improve your travel experience. Here's what this means for you as an Aeroplan member:

Aeroplan will be temporarily unavailable, both online and on the phone
Aeroplan.com and the Aeroplan App will be unavailable from November 18th at 8pm EST until midday November 19th. In addition, during this period while the migration to the new system takes place, the Aeroplan Contact Centre will not be able to assist you with any new or existing Flight Reward bookings. We encourage you to plan ahead and book any Aeroplan Rewards outside of this period.

We encourage you to self-serve at aeroplan.com
We understand your time is valuable and we anticipate an increase in Contact Centre wait times in the days that follow this transition period. Those looking to make or change a Flight Reward booking on or after November 19th are encouraged to do so at aeroplan.com to save time and money. To change an existing reservation on aeroplan.com, simply cancel your booking to receive an immediate refund of your Aeroplan Miles, then book your new flight without incurring a booking fee.

We will temporarily reduce the aeroplan.com Refund Fee
To assist with this transition, from November 15th, 2019 to January 31st, 2020, the fee for refunding a booking online will be reduced to $75 – a savings of $75 versus requesting a refund via the Contact Centre.

FlyerTalker70 Nov 14, 2019 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by gurka (Post 31738697)
Just got this -

Seems like Air Canada is rearranging the chairs on Amadeus before it sets sail :p . Hopefully all this caution will turn out to be unwarranted and it’ll be business as usual next week!

what I do find interesting from the announcement is they mentioned the transition will occur over several phases. This is in stark contrast to what I think a lot of folks on this thread thought would happen (I.e. AC flips a switch and more or less everything changes overnight). I would be interested to learn what these phases AC has scheduled and how Altitude (now called Aeroplan) fits into all of this.

-James

YYCleisureTraveller Nov 14, 2019 10:49 pm

Canadiancow,

I agree these changes are unacceptable!

Wondering if if you could share your thoughts on how the changes will effect upgrades on mixed-cabin awards?

I was planning on booking a mixed award (X on AC57 from DXB-YYZ on Nov 24th and confirmed J YYZ-YYC) and requesting to be put on upgrade list at check-in since I would have already “paid” in miles for J on the DXB-YYZ segment (which is currently J7). Do you think this is now out of the question? Is there any chance the concierge (I’m a SE) can add people to the onload list prior to check-in opening T-24hrs (I assume not)?

Appreciate your insight!

WaytoomuchEurope Nov 14, 2019 10:50 pm

So no more SDC? Uhhh...what?

canadiancow Nov 14, 2019 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso (Post 31738735)
what I do find interesting from the announcement is they mentioned the transition will occur over several phases. This is in stark contrast to what I think a lot of folks on this thread thought would happen (I.e. AC flips a switch and more or less everything changes overnight).

Is this a joke?

AC has publicly stated, for MONTHS, that res would flip "overnight", and DCS would flip airport by airport over several months.

It's also been discussed, in this thread, for MONTHS.

Originally Posted by YYCleisureTraveller (Post 31738759)
Canadiancow,

I agree these changes are unacceptable!

Wondering if if you could share your thoughts on how the changes will effect upgrades on mixed-cabin awards?

I was planning on booking a mixed award (X on AC57 from DXB-YYZ on Nov 24th and confirmed J YYZ-YYC) and requesting to be put on upgrade list at check-in since I would have already “paid” in miles for J on the DXB-YYZ segment (which is currently J7). Do you think this is now out of the question? Is there any chance the concierge (I’m a SE) can add people to the onload list prior to check-in opening T-24hrs (I assume not)?

Appreciate your insight!

I would not count on it for Nov 24. The issue seems to be that the onload list can't be processed any more, so adding yourself to it (if it even exists) is pointless.

However, as SE, my recommendation is:

1. Book the flight now.
2. Email the concierge, give them your booking reference, explain your situation, and ask if it will be possible.
2a. If they say DXB can do it on Nov 24, then keep the booking
2b. If they say it will not be possible, cancel and refund for free

Or just book Y the whole way or do whatever suits you. But you will hopefully be able to get some reasonable information.

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope (Post 31738761)
So no more SDC? Uhhh...what?

No more self-serve SDC. Airport agents obviously need the ability to rebook people, or IRROPS would be death.

WaytoomuchEurope Nov 14, 2019 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31738796)

No more self-serve SDC. Airport agents obviously need the ability to rebook people, or IRROPS would be death.

Well that's why my head exploded. Thanks for bridging the apparent gap in my basic reading comprehension.

YYCleisureTraveller Nov 14, 2019 11:51 pm

Thanks for the advice!

Perhaps better off booking the entire award in X and trying to use eup credits at the new T-3 window?

Will see if concierge has any insight as well.... ��

expert7700 Nov 15, 2019 3:32 am

You will not be able to request upgrades at the airport, and unfortunately we cannot guarantee that upgrades which were not cleared prior to check‑in will be processed at the gate, even if seat is available.

So are they agreeing they will not clear any employee/non revenue into J then? Employees share the same onload list, and get cleared by DCS as flights close. Surely this will violate employee contracts...

I stockpile eUps, having spent tens of thousands of dollars each year for 3 in my family to keep SE status. The main times we use them are for Xmas/American Thanksgiving break extending into early January. We use up any extras the last few weeks of Feb.

We often have to clear at the gate, and often do not even BOOK the flight until we within T-24 hours of travel. (even to Australia, Dubai, etc).

Isn't this a material breach of T&C of the E-Upgrade program?

InTheAirGuy Nov 15, 2019 4:04 am

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 31739137)
Paging [MENTION=57553]CBC/MENTION]
​​​

LOL. Like they will care? "Spoiled travellers whine that they can't get first-class". That's what they will see LOL.

TheCanuckian Nov 15, 2019 4:12 am

This is a defined benefit of being an Altitude member: “As an Altitude member, you can use your eUpgrade Credits to request an upgrade for yourself and for a Travel Companion who is travelling on the same reservation with you. You can also request an upgrade for a Travel Companion who is on the same flight as you but not on the same reservation, but such requests must be completed at the airport on the day of departure.”

Will this no longer be a possibility, then, until they sort out Amadeus?