Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2021, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
@canadiancow, are you sure about that? I know that one I mentioned getting automatically linked was under airport control when that happened (eUp cleared at the gate for only 1/2 pax on the PNR, for those who didn't see it), but what if I just divided a PNR? Or what if I phoned in and asked for them to be linked before it went to airport control? I haven't tried either, but curious whether you know this for a fact having tried it, or whether it's an expectation/hunch/suspicion/whatever.
Dividing a PNR certainly leaves a reference to the original. If you call and ask for it to be linked, you're going to end up with a remark like "MR SMITH INDICATED HE TRAVELS WITH WIFE ON ABC123. PLS LOOK AFTER THEM BOTH".

Maybe I should have been a little more clear, but a more thought-out comment would be "in the context of eUpgrades, there is no such thing as linking two PNRs".
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:43 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I did my first ever standby under Amadeus the other day. Two things:

First: I know some have expressed skepticism about the original reservation being cancelled if standby clears, but there's now a gigantic warning about it if you request standby early in the app:

That plus the repeated warnings from concierges make me inclined to believe it's true.

I really hope they'll implement proper standby at some point. It used to be a competitive advantage for AC to offer it, because I knew I could standby for connections that weren't legal to book and often make them. If I'm stuck abiding by MCT, AC becomes no better than WS or the US carriers.

Second:

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have yet to see a FIM under Amadeus, and every change to the PNR aside from eUpgrading requires reticketing. The old system allowed them to do basically whatever they wanted with coupons. 1A is much more strict. Hence the problem here.
​​​​​​​For what it's worth, there was no re-ticketing for the cleared standby. The new BP had the same ticket number as the other flights.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 2:31 pm

So what if I'm in J, and stand by for an earlier flight, but it ends up being full in J and empty in Y.

I lose my J seat and end up with a Y seat?
Old Nov 16, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
So what if I'm in J, and stand by for an earlier flight, but it ends up being full in J and empty in Y.

I would imagine if J doesn't clear it doesn't drop you down to Y unless you request it. That would be a concierge question
Old Nov 16, 2021, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999
I would imagine if J doesn't clear it doesn't drop you down to Y unless you request it. That would be a concierge question
If you're in J, on standby, you certainly show up on all 2 or 3 lists.

And no, I don't think it's a concierge question, because if I send the email now, again in 8 hours, and then again in another 8 hours, I'm going to get 3 different answers.
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 4:09 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

I don't know the answer.

Originally Posted by lcohen999
In the app, there's no ability to request standby only for J. You request standby, period. I don't know whether DCS offers concierges any greater flexibility.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I don't know the answer.

In the app, there's no ability to request standby only for J. You request standby, period. I don't know whether DCS offers concierges any greater flexibility.
I'm pretty sure "standby" is just "I want this flight".

I just booked the last flight of the day YOW-YYZ in December, because it was the only one with K space, and therefore, was the cheapest. I don't know what time I'll be at YOW, but it could easily be 4 flights earlier, and I will be doing standby on each one until I clear into J.

So it'll be a month before I can answer my own question, but I will definitely be trying to find out.

Unless there's R on any earlier one, then I'll just do a SDC.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:57 pm

Dividing a PNR certainly leaves a reference to the original. If you call and ask for it to be linked, you're going to end up with a remark like "MR SMITH INDICATED HE TRAVELS WITH WIFE ON ABC123. PLS LOOK AFTER THEM BOTH".

Maybe I should have been a little more clear, but a more thought-out comment would be "in the context of eUpgrades, there is no such thing as linking two PNRs".
Well, I was wrong.

There's a Special Keyword that can be added in Amadeus.

LKRL, for LinK Record Locator.

It's much more than just a general remark.

I don't know if any systems will do anything special here, but there are 3 of us with identical itineraries on separate PNRs for travel in November, so I'm sure there will be plenty of schedule changes, and we'll see if we get rebooked on the same flights.
kalderlake and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I was wrong.

There's a Special Keyword that can be added in Amadeus.

LKRL, for LinK Record Locator.

It's much more than just a general remark.

I don't know if any systems will do anything special here, but there are 3 of us with identical itineraries on separate PNRs for travel in November, so I'm sure there will be plenty of schedule changes, and we'll see if we get rebooked on the same flights.

Somewhat related, my wife and I were booked on the same itinerary on different files, both in J. I had asked for the files to be linked. First leg was on LH. I had picked seats together toward the back of the cabin. Turns out the flight ended up full in Y, and they moved the division between C and Y further front than where we had been seated. LH did reseat us together in row 1.

I must say I was pleasnatly surprised.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
I was just issued flights on a booking with reference number that is all numeric. There are no alphanumeric characters in it, just 6 numbers. Is that new or was it just random chance lol? I have never had a res without a single letter in.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by trek604
I was just issued flights on a booking with reference number that is all numeric. There are no alphanumeric characters in it, just 6 numbers. Is that new or was it just random chance lol? I have never had a res without a single letter in.
Partially random. Amadeus controls how record locators are assigned and they have some logic on the first character based on booking office, region etc. AC (currently) seems to be getting assigned locators beginning with 2, 3 or 4. This can change over time though, as when AC first migrated they were getting locators beginning with a letter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.