Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada moving to Amadeus; Communication issues with AP/AC post-migration result

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkordyback
There are worse times, and talking to people at other airlines they all were surprised that AC rolled it out when they did. Heaviest travel time and the worst weather window of the year. Ideally you'd shoot for late Feb or early March when you have more fleet flexibility and the summer holiday bookings haven't really cranked up yet.
It was originally scheduled I believe for April, but ended up getting delayed.

Is this a systems problem or a data conversion problem?

When these types of changes go off the rails the most likely suspect is that the existing bookings did not convert over well. The original booking may look OK in the new system but when you try to make a change (change a seat, checkin, upgrade, add baggage, etc) then it doesn't work. A big tell would if you're having trouble with your PNR and the fix is for AC to rebook it in the new system.
I think it's neither. Files converted OK. It's more issues of all the extra stuff that AC hs that feeds from the core reservation engine, such as upgrades. Also that their people are still learning on the job, and some are, shall we say, slower than others.
jkordyback likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

Likely the date was driven by contractual obligations. For example, they needed to be off Sabre by year end or they would pay penalties or another year of licensing. Something like that. I cannot imagine that AC would pick this time willingly.
Air Canada implemented RES years before the fabled meeting aboard an AA flight that lead to Sabre. RES III is the evolution of that, and AC has nothing to do with Sabre.

Second dumb question: Is this a systems problem or a data conversion problem?
Amadeus is in wide use. I expect it a rules, data, and integration problem.
jkordyback likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: Air Canada 75K, WestJet Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Stranger
It was originally scheduled I believe for April, but ended up getting delayed.

That makes sense, that's when Southwest converted over.

I feel sorry the folks at AC, this is tough.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by tcook052
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...avel-1.5391181

Transport minister urges Air Canada to resolve system woes ahead of holiday travel
I love how the stock photo they used is a 737 MAX8 landing. Extra kick in the nuts to Air Canada
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
In the last 2 weeks I got 3 email notifications about schedule change for my ae booking (RTW in Jan). The first 2 times there were no actual changes. This time there is an actual change of aircraft in the last leg YWG-YYZ, and seat change. All three times when I go to AC.com to pull up the book, it only showed message about rescheduling and the last legs (SYD-YVR-YWG-YYZ). I can click to see the flights and seat map but no changes allowed. Cannot see any other flight segments.

The message also says "For alternate travel options or to cancel your remaining flights, please contact an Air Canada airport agent at the airport or the call centre. No change fees will apply**." I found a YVR-YYZ direct flight (ae) that I might possibly ask them to change the YVR-YWG-YYZ from, so I tried calling. Got the message that due to system changes and high volume you cannot be placed on hold, and call only if your travel is within 24 hour. So that's why AC is ranked the best airline in NA?!?
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: Air Canada 75K, WestJet Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Air Canada implemented RES years before the fabled meeting aboard an AA flight that lead to Sabre. RES III is the evolution of that, and AC has nothing to do with Sabre.
I just assumed the AC used Sabre for reservations since they were always listed as a customer. Moving from something like RES to Amadeus will be good for AC in the long run.

Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I received an email from AC telling me my YYC-SFO flight was moved 6 hours earlier, which is impossible for me to make.

When I try to change to booking online, it tells me I need to call. When I call the call center, the message tells me they are not accepting calls.

Is there anything I can do? I am afraid that reasonably priced alternatives will be gone by the time I can contact AC.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:52 pm

[QUOTE=Bartolo;31826918]
Originally Posted by yyznomad
No, but you've forever jinxed the rest of us

The sucess extended to me.

Data point: Booked an AE tx last week. Seat assignment was automatic and silly. Could not change it despite my best efforts. Not able to tolerate being on hold (if I even got there) for 1+ hrs. Tried just now to change seats online. Thankfully what I wanted was still available. Got it done with confirming email.

My wish for everyone else 🤞🤞🤞🤞
i was able to change seats after I read this on the 10th. Tried again today and it's error again. luckily i made some initial changes back on the 10th
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos
When I try to change to booking online, it tells me I need to call. When I call the call center, the message tells me they are not accepting calls.

Is there anything I can do? I am afraid that reasonably priced alternatives will be gone by the time I can contact AC.
Many of us are having the same frustration. If you call, it says due to change and high volume, you cannot be placed on hold. Call back when your travel is within 24 hours.

I'm traveling on Jan. 1 evening. Maybe if I call on morning of Jan. 1, most others will still be hungover, and I might be able to get through. Wait, the call centre will probably also be hungover, with skeleton staff.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos
I received an email from AC telling me my YYC-SFO flight was moved 6 hours earlier, which is impossible for me to make.

It's been posted here before. Twitter.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I just assumed the AC used Sabre for reservations since they were always listed as a customer. Moving from something like RES to Amadeus will be good for AC in the long run.
There may be some ancillary usage of some minor Sabre component, but RES III is an in-house (or IBM GS), built, one-off, system.
tcook052 and jkordyback like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:25 pm

Absolute horrid experience yesterday finally getting through to customer service!! I will try and make this short if I can.....have a booking for February - wasn't paying close attention to all the issues but now my 60 day window was near about 4 days ago before the change/cancel fees doubled. Log into my account and cannot make any changes to my itinerary as it's locked for whatever reason ( I found out one of the flights was changed by 10 minutes so this new system cannot apparently handle that change! ). Tells me to call customer service - I literally try for 3 days and cannot get through. I was on the lines everyday in the morning, driving to work etc., Was on hold each time over an hour and twice my call got dropped. Yesterday evening finally got through after 114 minutes! I will be honest, inside I was fuming because this is an absolute joke! To really kick a guy, recording is telling me to log into the website to make any changes!! $#@ I was polite and told her the situation - THEY gave me no choice as I couldn't do anything with my booking. She literally says yup, oooohhh you just passed the limit and now it will cost you $400.00. So, still holding my cool I ask is there ANY customer service gesture you can do. I have made every attempt with this...…...NOPE unfortunately if we credit this we have NO control. Sorry about that - maybe you can send an email. I said yeah, Thanks I will surely do that and look forward to maybe a response or the token 5% off. $#@ Seriously. It was one of the worst customer service experiences I think I have ever had - I know it sounds like exaggeration but I think I am literally serious. I couldn't do anything and there was absolutely no care whatsoever. SOL pretty much.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Bravada04
t now my 60 day window was near about 4 days ago before the change/cancel fees doubled.
For others in this situation, I can think of several ways to document or timestamp your request to help preserve the rules if a deadline was about to lapse:

-filling in the airanada.com refund request form generates a case #
-driving to any airport with an aircanada ticket agent
-sending a message on twitter
-sending correspondence via canadian post / DHL Fedex overnight delivery

You could still do so to try and reclaim the $ -- but more of an uphill battle if all you have are cell phone call logs. Remind AC that the system migration caused all this, and is even a warning on their homepage in the same (just as serious) slot as an issue for emergency situations and weather emergencies would be.

-
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My fiancé and I are ticketed RDU-YYZ-YUL-YQB tomorrow. RDU-YYZ cancelled due to crew issues. We’re now auto rebooked 12 hours later thus ruining our entire first day of a weekend trip. I’ve been on hold 85 minutes and counting now trying to get something better for tomorrow. My first set of options has already disappeared.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 5:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.