Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is AC now charging SE's to reserve seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is AC now charging SE's to reserve seats?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: AC 2MM, ALT 75 k
Charges for SE Preferred seat assignment

I had a similar experience last night booking "M" class fare on rouge to Phoenix. Agent initially said I as SE had to pay and then backed off to say my companion son - also "M" class had to pay. Eventually backed off both.

Always have to contact AC rather than AP to get preferred class assignment w/o fee for Aeroplan reservation. AC is usually very helpful.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:46 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dmw1954
Always have to contact AC rather than AP to get preferred class assignment w/o fee for Aeroplan reservation. AC is usually very helpful.
Usually being the key word... I've also been told that I need to contact Aeroplan for free preferred seats since it's an Aeroplan booking. Again, usually fixed by HUCA.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
The issue in question has never reared its ugly head in my life.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Sloppy agent I presume.

I've had a few agents try to charge seat selection fees for me on reward and Tango tickets before. I usually clarify that I'm SE and they won't charge me.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:37 pm

I book this same segment CVG-YYZ on AC but as a UA *G and I can't book exit row or row 1 until check in.
Reserving a premium seat in advance costs money, other seats are free.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by simchi
I book this same segment CVG-YYZ on AC but as a UA *G and I can't book exit row or row 1 until check in.
Reserving a premium seat in advance costs money, other seats are free.
Same thing happens to me if I try to book a premium seat on UA - the joys of Star "Alliance".
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Shall we simply chalk this up as another useless, uninformed, and lazy call centre agent?

You know, the same type that will vehemently tell you that you need positive R space to upgrade a Y fare.
Wait, you don't anymore? Is this just for SEs or all upgrades?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by CdnFlier
Wait, you don't anymore? Is this just for SEs or all upgrades?
lol I can't tell if you're joking or serious...

You must be a call center agent.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by yyznomad
lol I can't tell if you're joking or serious...

You must be a call center agent.
haha, I haven't been flying a ton the last couple of years, I'm feeling very out of the loop these days.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:29 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CdnFlier
haha, I haven't been flying a ton the last couple of years, I'm feeling very out of the loop these days.
Domestic/TB, you can upgrade using R or Z space. Internationally, R or P space. But many call centre agents think R is always required.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:19 pm

Similar question to this thread. Just booked an Aeroplan Reward. According to the post above from alc, as an SE I should be able to select preferred seats for free, but the website wants to charge me. alc's link has changed and no longer shows what was quoted. Altitude site says free preferred seats on all fares. Anyone know if there has been a change? Would I just be wasting my time if I called in?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG USER
Similar question to this thread. Just booked an Aeroplan Reward. According to the post above from alc, as an SE I should be able to select preferred seats for free, but the website wants to charge me. alc's link has changed and no longer shows what was quoted. Altitude site says free preferred seats on all fares. Anyone know if there has been a change? Would I just be wasting my time if I called in?
AC's website has always (at least as long as I've been SE) charged SEs for preferred seat selection on X fares.

Call in, and there's no fee.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC's website has always (at least as long as I've been SE) charged SEs for preferred seat selection on X fares.

Call in, and there's no fee.
Thanks. AC IT is fantastic. I'd have thought something like that would be straightforward to do online.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by YEG USER
Thanks. AC IT is fantastic. I'd have thought something like that would be straightforward to do online.
Note, it will then try to charge you for bags when you go to check in online. Just select No Bags and proceed to the SE check in with your bags.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:43 am

You need to call into AC tho not AP. Only AC can override it seems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.