Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

W5 investigation on pilot fatigue - AC incidents mentioned

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W5 investigation on pilot fatigue - AC incidents mentioned

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
You guys know you can be nice to one another right? Behind that ID is a human being after all
To be fair, I only count 2.75 angry wo/men, and it's all in one direction with tl;dr.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yulred
Is it disingenuous to suggest that pointing your aircraft at an oncoming aircraft can lead to a collision.
Really?

I think it is disingenuous to suggest that pointing your aircraft at an oncoming aircraft cannot lead to a collision.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Really?

I think it is disingenuous to suggest that pointing your aircraft at an oncoming aircraft cannot lead to a collision.
Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me :P?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yulred
Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me :P?
I said literally the opposite thing you did
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I said literally the opposite thing you did
However you agreed with what he meant to say...
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I just watched the W5 segments... I’ll be honest, it’s not nearly the kind of sensational journalism I was expecting. It seems its primary purpose is to shine light on our country’s arguably antiquated pilot fatigue laws and to encourage their modernization. Everyone, from pilots to the pilots’ association to the ministery of transport, appear to agree that the rules need to change to curb pilot fatigue, yet there’s some feet-dragging going on.

Considering the ministry also promised a passenger rights bill that still hasn’t seen the light of day, I for one am encouraged that the media is holding our elected officials to account. Regardless of the story’s ultimate technical accuracy, if it serves to speed along the adoption of overdue policy overhauls, it’s done its job.
t_rex likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ffsim
I just watched the W5 segments... I’ll be honest, it’s not nearly the kind of sensational journalism I was expecting. It seems its primary purpose is to shine light on our country’s arguably antiquated pilot fatigue laws and to encourage their modernization. Everyone, from pilots to the pilots’ association to the ministery of transport, appear to agree that the rules need to change to curb pilot fatigue, yet there’s some feet-dragging going on.

Considering the ministry also promised a passenger rights bill that still hasn’t seen the light of day, I for one am encouraged that the media is holding our elected officials to account. Regardless of the story’s ultimate technical accuracy, if it serves to speed along the adoption of overdue policy overhauls, it’s done its job.
Stop overreacting and bringing reason to this thread.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Fine, fine. Just tell me if @yulred and @canadiancow actually agree with each other or not, will ya??
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:12 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yeah, isn't that my job?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:30 am
Original Member

Do Air Canada pilots get enough rest?

A CTV W5 episode this evening asked that question. While the program allegedly concerns Canadian pilots, every Canadian incident discussed involved Air Canada, including recent occurrences at SFO, a steep dive just before landing at ZRH, and a few others.

One thing that struck me is that every group involved in discussion -- the interviewer, the interviewed passengers, pilots, airlines, industry experts, and government officials -- seemed to have an agenda.

It will apparently be rebroadcast on CTV Two on Saturday morning, December 23 2017, at 6:30am PST in Vancouver. If you have On Demand TV you might also find it at CTV Two, W5, S52 Episode 2.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I did not see the episode, but the ACPA has been going on about this for years. However I find they lack some credibility due to the clear "agenda" they have of wanting to grow their membership. AC's incidents recently have been at SFO (outbound) and nowhere near the limits.

I feel no less safe on AC than a US carrier with slightly shorter maximum hours.

This would increase costs on many European routes from Eastern Canada that would suddenly require a third pilot.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by KenHamer
It will apparently be rebroadcast on CTV Two on Saturday morning, December 23 2017, at 6:30am PST in Vancouver.
Lovely. I am on AC flights that day and the next, so it aint on my watching agenda. I might as well watch that Final Destination with the airplane which uneasy air travelers should never, ever watch.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:54 pm
Original Member

So much for the tv guide function that indicated first broadcast on 2017-12-16.

I'm surprised to see the corporate agenda so strongly represented here - that if no one is killed there are obviously no problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.