Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
As per AC Signature Suite page - July 2, 2021

* Air Canada Signature Class customers travelling on an Air Canada-operated flight (to Europe, Asia and South America) originally booked and ticketed in the following booking classes will be eligible for access to the Air Canada Signature Suite: J, C, D, Z, P. Only Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Flexible Reward or a First Class Flexible Reward in J, C, D, Z, P, I booking classes are eligible for access. All bookings in R class (including, but not limited to, eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, and AC Bid Upgrades), Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Lowest Reward or a First Class Lowest Reward, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, Business Class flight rewards booked and ticketed by partner airlines, and I (including Star Alliance Upgrade Awards), as well as bookings made during irregular operations where the customer was not originally booked and confirmed in one of the eligible booking classes, will be excluded. Eligible customers may not invite guests. Access to the Air Canada Signature Suite is not available to customers travelling on promotional tickets or employees.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/premium-services/signature-suite.html

canadiancow's photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/0nui9iIVxRH5nczi1

Video of Signature Suite along with menus and food shots. https://youtu.be/QDdKM735n3k
Print Wikipost

New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j2simpso

Wont CATSA grant access to any terminal at YYZ with a boarding pass, regardless of which type (I.e international vs US)? I know this is a thing at most US airports (I.e the terminal B shuffle at EWR when wanting lounge access when flying UA domestic)?
You can't get to transborder without going through US preclearance, which requires a US BP.

You can't get out of international or transborder without clearing CBSA, so they won't let you in without an appropriate boarding pass.

And they won't let you in domestic without a domestic boarding pass, though there's no good reason for that.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
And they won't let you in domestic without a domestic boarding pass, though there's no good reason for that.
Are you sure about that?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:38 pm

You can't get to transborder without going through US preclearance, which requires a US BP.

You can't get out of international or transborder without clearing CBSA, so they won't let you in without an appropriate boarding pass.

what about the poor 35k who has an int'l BP that wants to use the MLL prior to departure?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by hydrogen
what about the poor 35k who has an int'l BP that wants to use the MLL prior to departure?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...m-mll-now.html

Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:49 pm

How does it work then for a SE100K arriving in YYZ on an AC International/TB who wants to use the MLL they’re entitled to? Surely they must be able to reuse the BP to gain access to the lounge!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Yes, it seems odd they set it up that way. So once I'm in YYZ, my next flight is to the US, and they don't consider that international. I can handle that. But, my previous flight was a paid business class from CPH. It's not like I'm starting my day in Toronto.
A couple of factors to consider. While you are on an International itinerary YYZ airport (both terminals) are set up as three distinct areas. Canada/Transborder (USA) & International. Customs regulations prohibit the "intermingling" of Passengers from the 3 distinct Zones. Even though USA & International Customers are funnelled through the same Customs hall, arriving Passengers from the two zones are kept distinctly separate. The SSL is not set up as an arrival lounge but rather a pre-dining departure venue and has generated rave reviews. It's closest comparison was BA's pre-flight dining lounge at T-3 which is now closed and have rerouted Customers to the Plaza Premium Lounge. Any comparisons to LH's FRA & MUC FCT's are futile -- First Class is First Class. It's unlikely that a SSL will be constructed in the US departures area as there are only 2 routes (LAX/SFO) operating between 2 & 4 Signature Service flights daily. Likely next candidates will be YVR & YUL International based on the success of YYZ.

Wish you a safe journey from CPH!

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; Aug 6, 2018 at 6:31 pm Reason: T-3 not T-1
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles

How does it work then for a SE100K arriving in YYZ on an AC International/TB who wants to use the MLL they’re entitled to? Surely they must be able to reuse the BP to gain access to the lounge!
NO

unless cnx as YYZ has NO arrivals lounge
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

As per @skybluesea and @ACYYZ/SD , the international and TB MLLs are in their respective sterile departure zones and cannot be treated as arrivals lounges.

Last edited by yyznomad; Aug 6, 2018 at 6:19 pm
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
I don't profess to know with full certainty, but guessing that Schengen/Non-Schengen airports in Europe have segregated departure zones, and lounges for use specific to those areas.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyznomad
As per @skybluesea and @ACYYZ/SD , the international and TB MLLs are in their respective sterile departure zones and cannot be treated as arrivals lounges.

and instead of a a much needed and useful arrivals lounge, instead AC decides for a 4th departure lounge- go figure
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by skybluesea

and instead of a a much needed and useful arrivals lounge, instead AC decides for a 4th departure lounge- go figure
Thinking of the layout of T-1 and the availability/lack of availability of Real Estate, wondering where such a space could be secured.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
I don't profess to know with full certainty, but guessing that Schengen/Non-Schengen airports in Europe have segregated departure zones, and lounges for use specific to those areas.
Yes.

In addition to passport control for entry and exit to/from Schengen, entering Schengen requires another security screening. Exiting does not necessarily require it.
skybluesea and ACYYZ/SD like this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Thinking of the layout of T-1 and the availability/lack of availability of Real Estate, wondering where such a space could be secured.
where there is a will, there is a way.

i don’t know VP Commercial at YYZ, but next time I see VP Ops will ask if this has come up at senior mgmt.

Given YYZ has massive intl O&D, certainly more than LHR,, logic fails me now that this has come to mind.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I've been to everything you mentioned except Polaris, and my opinion stands.

I'm not basing this on online reviews or website descriptions. I make my opinions based on first hand experience.

I've been to the NH F lounge in NRT quite a few times, and I would never consider it to be better than the AC SS.

The LH FCL only has boarding from the lounge if your flight is at a remote stand. That's already an annoyance. But again, LH is the one lounge of the ones I've visited that I actually think is better.

I don't consider access policy to be relevant in this discussion. If you want to talk about which lounge is best on a cheap ticket, the discussion is very different than just "which lounge is best". If you don't have access, you're not the target market.

AC is not the best airline. They don't have the best lounge. But the SS is one of their few redeeming qualities that easily puts them in the top tier.
Our opinions are subjective, influenced by our own experience, bias and personal needs. Folks who live out of suitcases and hotel rooms will have a different view of the lounges than others who fly less frequently. Familiarity with the lounges has crushed expectations for many a weary traveler. As an illustration, there was great excitement when some MLLs offered hotdogs. Where else other than homeless shelters could such a culinary option bring such appreciation? The introduction of Chef Boyardee quality pasta was lauded as a sign of great things to come. And so, when AC opened the SSL with its better processed food, and fruit that seemed fresher than usual, all serviced by cheery young people, there were exclamations of hallelujah and sighs of joy.
Yes, the SSL offers food options, but they are comparable to the airport restaurants,. Yes, there is a place where one can sit in relative quiet, compared to the outside public spaces, but that is where it stops. The seating area is no more comfortable than the waiting room of my physician, and the ambiance is anything other than relaxing. At least some of the asian airline lounges offer massage chairs or chaise lounges, in a quiet space.

Understandably, it is not appropriate for detractors to compare first class lounges to the SSL for the simple reason that AC is not offering first class, nor are the fares comparable to justify such a service. I had a proper dining experience in the TG First. AC will never compare to that, nor to CX or SQ's first class lounges. That's fine. The only fair comparison is with other Business class lounges. Obviously some business class lounges are better than others for F&B and ambiance. We all know that North American airline lounges are of rather poor quality. It's a characteristic shared with other regions like India and Central America etc. Yet, we give credit where credit is due with a nod to the MLL as usually being better than the other North American airline domestic options.

We all agree that the SSL is an improvement over the MLL and that as a lounge, it is ok. However, where we disagree is that based upon what I have experienced, Air Canada is just coming up to the same standards of some other airlines on international routes with the SSL. The reality is that AC is providing one decent lounge in one city. The food served should not be described as fine dining, no matter how fluffy the descriptions are. For example, the AF/KLM lounge in YUL with its quality and diverse wine selection including champagne, its varied hot entrees soups and salads and bountiful pastry section, puts the AC SSL to shame. Although some people are impressed by the presence of a bartender, those of us who are less easily impressed see the person as a guardian of the booze who will discourage consumption of alcohol.

I am not saying the SSL is bad, but the glowing descriptions and the exaggerated accolades combined with the bloated hyperbole in the AC media is too much. AC still has some way to go on quality, and will need to create SSLs in YVR and YUL before it can legitimately toot its horn as it has done.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
AC still has some way to go on quality, and will need to create SSLs in YVR and YUL before it can legitimately toot its horn as it has done.
If they want to assert themselves as the premier airline they aspire to be, why not at LHR and perhaps PEK?

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 8, 2018 at 12:33 am Reason: off topic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.