Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
As per AC Signature Suite page - July 2, 2021

* Air Canada Signature Class customers travelling on an Air Canada-operated flight (to Europe, Asia and South America) originally booked and ticketed in the following booking classes will be eligible for access to the Air Canada Signature Suite: J, C, D, Z, P. Only Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Flexible Reward or a First Class Flexible Reward in J, C, D, Z, P, I booking classes are eligible for access. All bookings in R class (including, but not limited to, eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, and AC Bid Upgrades), Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Lowest Reward or a First Class Lowest Reward, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, Business Class flight rewards booked and ticketed by partner airlines, and I (including Star Alliance Upgrade Awards), as well as bookings made during irregular operations where the customer was not originally booked and confirmed in one of the eligible booking classes, will be excluded. Eligible customers may not invite guests. Access to the Air Canada Signature Suite is not available to customers travelling on promotional tickets or employees.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/premium-services/signature-suite.html

canadiancow's photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/0nui9iIVxRH5nczi1

Video of Signature Suite along with menus and food shots. https://youtu.be/QDdKM735n3k
Print Wikipost

New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Plumber
Thanks...

Well- I see an Oban 14 and a Dalwhinnie (cant tell the age) as well as 3 different Johnny Walker bottles (including Black)...

I will keep looking at the others...
Yes, I see the same but I only see two JWs... Black and Gold Reserve... where's the third bottle?

Added: Nevermind, I see the third bottle behind the Oban.

That JW bottle behind the Oban I don't recognize - I thought it might be part of the Explorers' Club but it doesn't look like it.
@Adam Smith - what does it look like to you?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yes, I see the same but I only see two JWs... Black and Gold Reserve... where's the third bottle?

That JW bottle behind the Oban I don't recognize - I thought it might be part of the Explorers' Club but it doesn't look like it.
JW18
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dorian
JW18
Ah yes, quite right. I missed the fact that they rebranded Platinum to 18.

So the selection isn't that bad. I mean, even having the Oban 14 pushes it up a small notch.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Has anyone noted what teas are available? It's a pet peeve of mine when a high end restaurant has the usual "food service" grade Red Rose tea bags. I'm hoping the selection is better quality here?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Has anyone noted what teas are available? It's a pet peeve of mine when a high end restaurant has the usual "food service" grade Red Rose tea bags. I'm hoping the selection is better quality here?
Check this OMAAT post. There is a picture of the teas available there. Doesn't mention the brand though.

New Air Canada Lounge Has The World's Best Business Class Dining Experience - One Mile at a Time
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:53 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
First time I've really looked at this since it all became public. Disappointed to see the Caribbean excluded from the access requirements. One can spend $3K for a one-way C or J fare to, say, BGI, and still not get in, while someone doing a $3K TPAC round trip in P will get in.

You should know I'm the wrong guy to ask about anything JW.

You guys all appear to have missed the Lagavulin 16 bottle.

I'm underwhelmed, although perhaps the Dalwhinnie will be okay, I don't remember having it before.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
First time I've really looked at this since it all became public. Disappointed to see the Caribbean excluded from the access requirements. One can spend $3K for a one-way C or J fare to, say, BGI, and still not get in, while someone doing a $3K TPAC round trip in P will get in.
My suspicion is that the average TATL/TPAC P fare is significantly more expensive than the average Caribbean flight.

Also, look at Polaris. They don't let in those flights either, so it seems pretty standard now.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
First time I've really looked at this since it all became public. Disappointed to see the Caribbean excluded from the access requirements. One can spend $3K for a one-way C or J fare to, say, BGI, and still not get in, while someone doing a $3K TPAC round trip in P will get in..
On the contrary, I am delighted that AC showed some common sense that reflects the reality on the routes you reference;
- The person on a one way to BGI is more likely to pay closer to the $860 lowest business class fare.
- It would have been difficult to open the lounge to Barbados bound travelers, but restrict travelers to Haiti, the Dominican, Martinique, Grenada etc. The airline could have been accused of elitism or prejudice had it allowed the wealthier demographic associated with Barbados and not the other pax.
- The unpleasantness of the MLL at the E Gates has been a major irritant for long haul premium passengers for years and I expect that AC did not want a repeat of overcrowding by people who had the behavior pattern of a swarm of locusts and the manners of marauding teens afflicted with a case of the "munchies".
The MLL is sufficient for folks on the excluded leisure routes and they will do just fine.

I am very impressed by the photos and the menu. The airline has tried hard to deliver quality and I am blown away. It tops the AF/KLM food options in YUL and I considered that to be one of the best options if not the best in Canada. Therefore, if AC feels it needs to try and control the crowds in order to be able to maintain quality, then I believe we should support the airline in that regard.

Air Canada has done something here that is market leading and worthy of praise.
The Lev, bawm, Diabeetus and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Dec 15, 2017 at 7:35 pm
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
On the contrary, I am delighted that AC showed some common sense that reflects the reality on the routes you reference;
- The person on a one way to BGI is more likely to pay closer to the $860 lowest business class fare.
- It would have been difficult to open the lounge to Barbados bound travelers, but restrict travelers to Haiti, the Dominican, Martinique, Grenada etc. The airline could have been accused of elitism or prejudice had it allowed the wealthier demographic associated with Barbados and not the other pax.
- The unpleasantness of the MLL at the E Gates has been a major irritant for long haul premium passengers for years and I expect that AC did not want a repeat of overcrowding by people who had the behavior pattern of a swarm of locusts and the manners of marauding teens afflicted with a case of the "munchies".
The MLL is sufficient for folks on the excluded leisure routes and they will do just fine.

I am very impressed by the photos and the menu. The airline has tried hard to deliver quality and I am blown away. It tops the AF/KLM food options in YUL and I considered that to be one of the best options if not the best in Canada. Therefore, if AC feels it needs to try and control the crowds in order to be able to maintain quality, then I believe we should support the airline in that regard.

I don't think I have ever agreed more to a post than the one you just made. Air Canada should absolutely be commended for their efforts here.
bawm likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by Plumber
Anything you want from what I can see....I did not sit at the bar, but you can order a seemingly wide variety of cocktails, a martini like I did, beer, wine, etc.

I doubt they will have lesser know or obscure spirits, but you can always ask!

And I'm sorry, but I did not check on the what kinds of scotches they carried, but I should have...I'll leave that up to the next person to sleuth out.
Champagnes? I mean the real stuff.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Bartolo

Yes real champagne is served.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Bartolo

2 versions of Moet - Brut and Rose.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should know I'm the wrong guy to ask about anything JW.

You guys all appear to have missed the Lagavulin 16 bottle.

I'm underwhelmed, although perhaps the Dalwhinnie will be okay, I don't remember having it before.
Is there J/C lounge (exclusive or non-exclusive) that you know of that serves better Scotch than the AC Signature Suite? I don't. However, we all do if comparing to F lounges.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.

Who are the cause of the boorish behaviour in the MLL ? if its the paid J on OPM DYKWIA type then the new lounge isnt going to be any better.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:57 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My suspicion is that the average TATL/TPAC P fare is significantly more expensive than the average Caribbean flight.

Also, look at Polaris. They don't let in those flights either, so it seems pretty standard now.
cow, I'm sure you're correct that the average J cabin fare for TATL/TPAC is higher than the average J cabin fare to the Caribbean. TPF, I don't know about the $860 figure you're quoting as I booked a number of Caribbean trips for myself and family over the past few months for travel later this year or early 2018 to or various Caribbean destinations (BGI, ANU, BDA) and I think the cheapest we paid was about $1500 one-way for P fares. Perhaps we're going at the wrong time of year.

You mention overcrowding, but the vast majority of the Caribbean flights leave early in the morning (I've seen one evening flight to HAV and everything else is pretty much around 8AM or 9AM), so allowing people going to, say, BGI into the lounge at 8AM wouldn't cheapen the experience for anyone on the wave of TATL departures in the evening or the early/mid-afternoon TPACs.

Is there J/C lounge (exclusive or non-exclusive) that you know of that serves better Scotch than the AC Signature Suite? I don't. However, we all do if comparing to F lounges.
Define "better"? Are you using price as a proxy for quality? If so, you may be correct. Having six options may also be more than most places. But there are 3 JWs and two heavily peated single malts. So I don't think it's actually offering that much of a selection. If one likes neither JW nor peat, Dalwhinnie is the only option. I would be happy to trade one of the expensive JWs for a much cheaper bottle of, say, Glenfiddich 15 Solera, or if spending a few more bucks, Balvenie DoubleWood 12.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.