Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
As per AC Signature Suite page - July 2, 2021

* Air Canada Signature Class customers travelling on an Air Canada-operated flight (to Europe, Asia and South America) originally booked and ticketed in the following booking classes will be eligible for access to the Air Canada Signature Suite: J, C, D, Z, P. Only Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Flexible Reward or a First Class Flexible Reward in J, C, D, Z, P, I booking classes are eligible for access. All bookings in R class (including, but not limited to, eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, and AC Bid Upgrades), Aeroplan flight rewards booked as a Business Class Lowest Reward or a First Class Lowest Reward, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards, Business Class flight rewards booked and ticketed by partner airlines, and I (including Star Alliance Upgrade Awards), as well as bookings made during irregular operations where the customer was not originally booked and confirmed in one of the eligible booking classes, will be excluded. Eligible customers may not invite guests. Access to the Air Canada Signature Suite is not available to customers travelling on promotional tickets or employees.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/premium-services/signature-suite.html

canadiancow's photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/0nui9iIVxRH5nczi1

Video of Signature Suite along with menus and food shots. https://youtu.be/QDdKM735n3k
Print Wikipost

New VIP lounge YYZ int'l: Air Canada Signature Suite

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Originally Posted by skybluesea
@CanadianCow is correct this Thread on a pretty narrow topic.

So possibly we should de-camp from the SS Lounge Wars, and instead start new permanent Wiki on what a proper end-to-end full service by AC should really look like?

This thread has begun to wander to matters well beyond this specific lounge but there's no need to start a new thread to discuss AC Signature Service as there already is one which may be found here. To make this thread as useful to readers as possible let's pull back the debate to be only about the YYZ Signature Suite as is indicated in the thread title or further off topic posts will be deleted.

tcook052
AC forum mod.

Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I was thinking about a couple things that I'm not sure have been discussed.

Polaris access allows you to enter at a connection point after the Polaris segment (i.e. LHR-EWR-ROC, you can access the Polaris lounge in EWR before your ROC flight). This is possible because you also have physical access to the lounge, whereas you don't have physical access to the Signature Suite on something like LHR-YYZ-YXU.

The access requirements are worded as such, but that could be due to the fact they don't want to say "you can access it on connections" when it simply isn't possible, even if their intent would otherwise allow it.

However, that got me thinking... what about LHR-YYZ-VRA? In that situation, you would have physical access. YYZ-VRA is obviously not an eligible flight, but combined with LHR-YYZ, I'm curious:

1. If they'd allow you in with no discussion/debate
2. If they'd allow you in at all

Has anyone had a booking like this and attempted to gain entry?
skybluesea likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I must say that I am very surprised at how seriously the Signature Suite folks are with respect to accommodating my friend's dietary restrictions at our most recent foray at the lounge for our quick Toronto Heathrow trip. While I am fortunate to not have any dietary restrictions, I have noticed that several times these allergies are not taken seriously at restaurants and such when dining with others, and surprised at how much attention was paid to ensure my friend's restrictions were accommodated. Good job Air Canada.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I must say that I am very surprised at how seriously the Signature Suite folks are with respect to accommodating my friend's dietary restrictions at our most recent foray at the lounge for our quick Toronto Heathrow trip. While I am fortunate to not have any dietary restrictions, I have noticed that several times these allergies are not taken seriously at restaurants and such when dining with others, and surprised at how much attention was paid to ensure my friend's restrictions were accommodated. Good job Air Canada.
I thought you had some kind of dairy restriction.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I thought you had some kind of dairy restriction.
Happy to entertain fun discussions for the sake of it in informal threads but it would be nice to partake in formal conversations otherwise.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Happy to entertain fun discussions for the sake of it in informal threads but it would be nice to partake in formal conversations otherwise.
I mean if you don't want to talk about it, don't mention it.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
The Signature Suite today is only available for paid J .... specifically, reward J is not eligible.

When I got to visit the suite during the pre-launch preview, an AC exec there told me that they were going to monitor usage carefully, and they would consider expanding the access after a year or so.

It's now a year or so later

Has anyone heard any rumors (or willing to start any speculation) about whether the access requirements will be extended to include reward J?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
The Signature Suite today is only available for paid J .... specifically, reward J is not eligible.

When I got to visit the suite during the pre-launch preview, an AC exec there told me that they were going to monitor usage carefully, and they would consider expanding the access after a year or so.

It's now a year or so later

Has anyone heard any rumors (or willing to start any speculation) about whether the access requirements will be extended to include reward J?
I haven't flown international out of YYZ since February, but back then, during the winter schedule, it was starting to get reasonably busy during dinner hours (i.e. pre-TATL).

Based on feedback in this thread, it was "crowded" at the same time during summer schedule.

Based on that, I can't see reward tickets getting in any time soon.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:24 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Maybe not reward , but Reward+ SE status.

Makes no sense that "Top tier" of a program does not get " top tier" services that are offered.

If not, then perhaps Reward + SEMM
Plumber likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Let's assume we can group most J pax into 3 categories: (1) paid, (2) upgraded and (3) rewards. For the sake of this argument, (2) comprises of LMU, eUpgrades, bids and op-ups. Further, let's assume that (1) spends more to sit in J than (2) who in turn spends more than (3).

Without having any numbers to back this up, I'd bet that there are fewer J pax belonging to (3) than (1) or (2). Probably significantly fewer considering how tightly controlled "I" inventory has been for the past few years.

In my mind, the Suite won't suddenly become overcrowded because reward pax are let in. However, it looks really bad to let reward pax in but not upgraded pax. How can AC deliver the message that "we want the Suite to be an exclusive hangout for our paying J pax" while allowing reward pax (who might've paid next to nothing for the reward) and keeping upgraded pax out?

That's why I suspect we won't see entry requirements tweaked any time soon.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
Let's assume we can group most J pax into 3 categories: (1) paid, (2) upgraded and (3) rewards. For the sake of this argument, (2) comprises of LMU, eUpgrades, bids and op-ups. Further, let's assume that (1) spends more to sit in J than (2) who in turn spends more than (3).

Without having any numbers to back this up, I'd bet that there are fewer J pax belonging to (3) than (1) or (2). Probably significantly fewer considering how tightly controlled "I" inventory has been for the past few years.

In my mind, the Suite won't suddenly become overcrowded because reward pax are let in. However, it looks really bad to let reward pax in but not upgraded pax. How can AC deliver the message that "we want the Suite to be an exclusive hangout for our paying J pax" while allowing reward pax (who might've paid next to nothing for the reward) and keeping upgraded pax out?

That's why I suspect we won't see entry requirements tweaked any time soon.
The difference between 2 and 3 is that 3 was ticketed in J, while 2 was not. I don't think it would look THAT bad, nor do I think it would be difficult to implement.

However, I tend to agree that 2 spends more than 3. And that's where it makes less sense to allow 3. The SEMM in full O who spent $5000 on a ticket can't get in, but the churner who redeemed 50k points can? I don't see that happening.
ffsim likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
The SEMM in full O who spent $5000 on a ticket can't get in, but the churner who redeemed 50k points can? I don't see that happening.
Bingo. You're absolutely right about (3) being "ticketed in J," but no matter how crafty AC is with their message, keeping the SEMM who upgraded from O out of the same Suite where the churner is enjoying cocktails is going to look absolutely awful.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
AC is going to have a much bigger backlash if they let anyone who isn't PAID J into the Signature Suite before they build a Suite in YVR and even YUL.

There have been many who are based west The Centre of the Universe who spend a small fortune on paid J ex-YVR. It doesn't matter if they have a new international MLL, It is not the Signature Suite. Same with YUL.

It is bad optics for AC to let in churners - who rarely if ever pay for J on AC. It is less bad optics to let in those who upgrade using various instruments - some of which include cash. Should AC venture down those paths before addressing the issue of those who pay for J ex YVR and ex YUL and have no access to the Suite, it might not be pretty and I assume AC knows that.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
Bingo. You're absolutely right about (3) being "ticketed in J," but no matter how crafty AC is with their message, keeping the SEMM who upgraded from O out of the same Suite where the churner is enjoying cocktails is going to look absolutely awful.
But at the same time, they let in someone on a $400 (each way) mistake P fare, but didn't let in the SEMM on a $5000 O fare.

Also, while I'm the one who said "churner", there are also SEs who spend 6 figures, and decide to IKK a trip. They're not in the same ballpark.

Originally Posted by 24left
AC is going to have a much bigger backlash if they let anyone who isn't PAID J into the Signature Suite before they build a Suite in YVR and even YUL.

There have been many who are based west The Centre of the Universe who spend a small fortune on paid J ex-YVR. It doesn't matter if they have a new international MLL, It is not the Signature Suite. Same with YUL.
That's a valid, but very different issue. They can't let in people flying YVR-TYO because there's no SS in YVR. There will be at some point, but until then, it's not a policy, and it's the way things are.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
....That's a valid, but very different issue. They can't let in people flying YVR-TYO because there's no SS in YVR. There will be at some point, but until then, it's not a policy, and it's the way things are.
In conversations I've had with AC, there have also been complaints from those who start their international trips in YYZ for example, but have to connect in YVR on routes like TPE, BNE, MEL, SYD. Mucho dinero paid for many of these J tickets. Access to the Suite is denied due to logistics and the location of the suite in the international departure area. I am not the only one who flew most if not all of their international departures while having to connect in YVR. I never understood why AC couldn't figure this out, use the BMW or something.

It's not the end of the world, but I know AC has heard from many who are rather annoyed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.