Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Latitude and upgrade using e-upgrade, which bucket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G

If you buy an international ticket in Latitude, and upgrade, using your e-upgrade credits, which bucket is used to confirm your upgrade? P? R?
Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You are confirmed into R provided there is P or R space.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:40 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
R or P is sufficient. However, the system may not do it automatically if it's P.

​​​In that case, you'll need to phone in and, quite likely, educate the agent that you can upgrade using P and perhaps have them speak to NRD or a supervisor to verify that and get it processed.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.
Here's my delimma:
While booking, upgrade from Flex and Latitude were available, so I booked into Latitude and then used my eupgrade. My upgrade cleared right away.
I went back to do a dummy search for the exact date and route, upgrade from flex would be waitlisted, but latitude can be confirmed.
Does this imply that my upgrade was taken from R upgrade?
Why does it matter to me....I've a traveler who is on another reservation in Flex. It matters to me that their upgrade clears at t-7.
Should I change my reservation from Latitude to business class lowest so R opens up?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
Thanks.
Here's my delimma:
While booking, upgrade from Flex and Latitude were available, so I booked into Latitude and then used my eupgrade. My upgrade cleared right away.
I went back to do a dummy search for the exact date and route, upgrade from flex would be waitlisted, but latitude can be confirmed.
Why does it matter to me....I've a traveler who is on another reservation in Flex. It matters to me that their upgrade clears at t-7.
Should I change my reservation from Latitude to business class lowest so R opens up?
Here is a scenario that matches your experience.

Your flight is P2 R1.

You book Latitude, and upgrade.

The flight drops to P1 R0.

Flex can no longer upgrade.

You're better off requesting the upgrade that needs R space before P space.

So yes, cancelling and doing Flex first is a pretty reasonable course of action.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
Thanks.
Here's my delimma:
Be careful.... There is always the possibility that R does not open up, even though you just cancelled your upgrade.

Agree with CC- you could have searched on the quantity of R and P and done the Flex upgrade first.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks, we can't upgrade using Flex, because we are not currently in the T-7 window yet.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: Air Canada E50K
So this answers a question I had. But two agents have refused to believe that, if there is P space, they can do an eupgrade. Any tips?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by backrowlurker
So this answers a question I had. But two agents have refused to believe that, if there is P space, they can do an eupgrade. Any tips?
A common occurrence.

Keep hanging up and calling again.

Or ask them to chat with a supervisor.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:14 pm

The real problem is that the system doesn't work.

You shouldn't have to call anyone.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:15 pm

Thank you! I will try again after supper....if I am sufficiently sober after a dinner with the extended family of outlaws....
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:08 pm

So, excuse me for being dumb. Called in again. The agent said that we could upgrade if there was P class available. On expert flyer I can see P class availability. What am I missing?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: *$ Green
So, excuse me for being dumb. Called in again. The agent said that we could upgrade if there was P class available. On expert flyer I can see P class availability. What am I missing?
Just tell them to read their own policy and to apply it. That it says they need to manually do it if there's P space.

I cant believe we still need to so this.
​​​​
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:16 pm

I did. He denied there was P space....
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
See the oft-quoted link to How upgrade availability is determined for upgrades to Business Class. Click on "How upgrade availability is determined for upgrades to Business," then on "Between the time of reservation and up to 24 hours prior to departure."

It clearly states "...on International flights with a Latitude (booking classes Y and B) or Premium Economy Flexible (booking class O) fare, upgrades are based on the availability of “P” booking class..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.