Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC ticket, SN (Brussels Airlines) codeshare questions

Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.

Hi,

We're planning a trip to Belgium and the Netherlands next spring and looking at some flight options. We'll likely fly into AMS and out of BRU, or vice-versa. (I'm aware that the train between AMS and BRU is an option, and am considering it.)

Air Canada doesn't fly YYZ-BRU, but Air Brussels does and Air Canada will sell tickets on the flight. AC does fly YUL-BRU, but they do not fly YQR-YUL so I'd need to connect twice to take the AC option.

Has anyone booked Air Brussels on an AC ticket? What are the logistics for reserving seats? Is checkin seamless? Anything to know or watch? How's the service compared to AC?

I'm tempted to book everything on AC metal just to avoid codeshare troubles (it seems I have some weird glitch every time I book a codeshare, most recently on a UA/AC booking). But the BRU-YYZ-YQR (or vice versa) routing is a lot more convenient.

Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by PhotoJim
Has anyone booked Air Brussels on an AC ticket? What are the logistics for reserving seats? Is checkin seamless? Anything to know or watch? How's the service compared to AC?
Last time I flew an AC codeshare on SN metal, AC was able to issue me a boarding pass during OLCI just fine, but I don't know if it aways does.

I was not able to reserve seats, even in J. The SN phone agent told me their system cannot select seats for codeshares.

Service in J was fine, but I generally find AC service fine too (come at me AC haters). They do have lambic beer, though, which is a plus for me!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:40 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
I booked BRU-YYZ on an AE award so it was ticketed on 014 stock. Just book the SN flight number (SN551 IIRC) and seat selection requires phoning in but it was doable.

I think you just can't do seat selection if you're booked on an AC flight number on SN metal.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Lambic beer might be fun, but I'll have lots of time for that in Belgium

I might just book on AC metal to lower the uncertainty.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the help. Lambic beer might be fun, but I'll have lots of time for that in Belgium

Should not be a big deal. No real uncertainty. Purchase on aircanada.com. Either as codeshare or if it lets you, as the original SN flight number.

You may need to check on the SN web site, that's all.

Also, what may not be too clear is how many Aeroplan miles you'll end up getting.

I flew SN in business earlier this February (BRU-Portugal) on a TAP ticket, TAP codeshare. I still have not received the miles. OTOH, a flight two weeks ago, AC ticket, original SN flight No., has posted.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I tried to buy the YYZ-BRU codeshare last year, but they wouldn't let me get five tickets on the AC website. I tried calling in, and the phone agent said that SN didn't release enough code-share seats and that there was nothing she could do. The SN site didn't work for me, but I don't recall why. Either it was WAY more expensive, or they wouldn't sell the YHZ connection. I ended up on the YUL-BRU AC metal flight, which was fine. It was on a A330-300, so Y was not too cramped.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:35 pm

If you have to add a connection to book on AC metal, I would say that the added uncertainty due to that is far greater than the uncertainty of booking a codeshare flight.

Brussels Airlines is quite good, in either cabin.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

All good points. I find this isn't helping my humming and hawing though

What metal is SN using on YYZ-BRU? And how does it compare to AC on an A330-300? We'll probably book premium economy outbound (since it's overnight) but fly standard economy on the return flight. We did exec class to LHR and economy back from CDG two years ago and it was surprisingly tolerable (I thought economy after exec class would really be awful). The pairs of seats on the A330 are attractive, since we are a couple and wouldn't have neighbours.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:44 pm

SN flies an A330-200 ... similar layout in Y as AC, but I don't think they have a premium economy section. J is staggered lie-flat seats, not pods.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
J is staggered lie-flat seats, not pods.
Like the 773s that AC got at a discount and subsequently refurbished?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Poster

If the general consensus is that it shouldn't be too hard to get a pair of seats on the window side in economy class at T-24 checkin (since I can't reserve seats) I think we'll fly YQR-YYZ-AMS outbound (to get premium economy) and BRU-YYZ-YQR back. The advice and information are much appreciated.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Like the 773s that AC got at a discount and subsequently refurbished?
Yes, although the layout is not as dense as what AC had.

I can't say whether you could get a pair of window seats at T-24 since I've always had seat assignments.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Yes, although the layout is not as dense as what AC had.

I can't say whether you could get a pair of window seats at T-24 since I've always had seat assignments.
How did you get seat assignments? You booked directly with SN?

Unfortunately I either have to book expensive one-way flights, or not be able to book seats on either YYZ-AMS or BRU-YYZ. Kind of screwed either way Unless things have changed and you can reserve seats on codeshare SN flights now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.