Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Star Gold / Silver (*G / *S) checked baggage policy (2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Gold / Silver (*G / *S) checked baggage policy (2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stranger
Did the *G show on your BP?
Yes. It's printed on the bag tag as well.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:54 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Just experienced the same thing YUL-IAH. Had to pay CAD$25 for first bag. Was told that the second bag is free.

Either the agent's computer was wrong, or the online baggage calculator is still wrong.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
I checked in today for a trans-border flight YVR-SEA-XXX, purchased with a UA codeshare. I was given 0 free bags, despite my *G status. My status was on the reservation, and the chcek-in agent was sympathetic, but she couldn’t get the computer to waive the fee.

I’ve written in for a refund; I don’t know how much of a hassle that will be. Needless to say, I was surprised.

I’m guessing the UA codeshare messed things up, but you’d think the AC computers would be able to figure out that *G means at least 1 bag...
Follow-up for anyone who runs into the same issue. I got an email apology within about two days saying they'd look into it (along with a 10% discount code off of a future AC booking, which, I gather from skimming posts here, is their customer service gesture of choice). I didn't hear anything else back, but when I checked my latest credit card statement, I saw that they did issue a refund that hit my card about 3 1/2 weeks after my complaint. So, while it was a minor inconvenience, in the end everything worked out and I didn't have to fight with AC customer service.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
For the record, United has been treating foreign *G members exactly this way for years.

So I find it amusing that you take issue with this is a UA 1K.
Actually UA is significantly better as they give *G companions the same allowance as the *G member.
mistermap likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:02 pm

New update in the AC baggage saga for us *A Gold's. Last week I bit the bullet and purchased the Weekender Flight pass from AC and made my first booking on it (YXU -> EWR for NYE).

Upon reviewing the confirmation email I saw this gem:

Am I correct in assuming that AC will honour the baggage policy stated in the email (i.e. 3 free bags for us *A Gold's)? I'm somewhat interested in printing this out and attempting to check 3 bags at YXU. Is the checked bag policy different for flight pass bookings versus normal bookings on AC?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The FP system is old. Clearly not up to date. You're entitled to 1.

You can fight for more, given that email, but you're entitled to 1.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The FP system is old. Clearly not up to date. You're entitled to 1.

You can fight for more, given that email, but you're entitled to 1.
I think he bought what's in the e-mail.

And surely any court in the land would agree...
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:35 pm

Out of curiosity I've got a flight on AC Rogue in September (YYZ -> MAN) and looking at the bag calculator and am entitled to 2 bags free (1 for fare & 1 for *A Gold). If I'm able to get a decent upgrade offer at OLCI (i.e. < $100) to Premium Rogue would I be entitled to the additional bag allowance (i.e. 2 for Premium Rogue + 1 for *A Gold)? Would I get additional PQM & Award Miles for it? I've done upgrades on LH and have gotten all of that when I was a General MP Member.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:39 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Out of curiosity I've got a flight on AC Rogue in September ...
I can't address the question, but there's something brilliantly Freudian about slipping in "Rogue" versus "Rouge"...
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Despite the AC Checked Baggage Calculator telling me I had one bag free as a *G on my BDL-YYZ AC flight in Y, online check in tried to charge me $25 for the first bag. Agent at airport check in also tried to charge me $25 for the first bag. I asked her what the benefit of being *G on AC is if 1) you cannot preselect seats, 2) you do not get preferred seating for free once you do check in, and 3) you get no preference on bag charges. The agent shrugged. Manager came over and overrode the system to get me my first bag free.

Last edited by economyplusfan; Aug 7, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Out of curiosity I've got a flight on AC Rogue in September (YYZ -> MAN) and looking at the bag calculator and am entitled to 2 bags free (1 for fare & 1 for *A Gold). If I'm able to get a decent upgrade offer at OLCI (i.e. < $100) to Premium Rogue would I be entitled to the additional bag allowance (i.e. 2 for Premium Rogue + 1 for *A Gold)? Probably, but YMMV. Probably easier to go the bid route if you really need the bag allowance. Would I get additional PQM & Award Miles for it? No. I've done upgrades on LH and have gotten all of that when I was a General MP Member.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
Despite the AC Checked Baggage Calculator telling me I had one bag free as a *G on my BDL-YYZ AC flight in Y, online check in tried to charge me $25 for the first bag. Agent at airport check in also tried to charge me $25 for the first bag. I asked her what the benefit of being *G on AC is if 1) you cannot preselect seats, 2) you do not get preferred seating for free once you do check in, and 3) you get no preference on bag charges. The agent shrugged. Manager came over and overrode the system to get me my first bag free.
Well truth be told, pre-selecting seats/preferred seats is not a *G benefit. So that wouldn't really apply. Should you get at least 1 bag for free (or 1+1) then yes

I am sure this comes up a lot on the UA forums as well but given UA doesn't allow *Gs E+ access for free, why should AC give preferred seat access for free?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
edit:nvm

Last edited by MasterGeek; Aug 7, 2018 at 2:52 pm
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Well truth be told, pre-selecting seats/preferred seats is not a *G benefit. So that wouldn't really apply. Should you get at least 1 bag for free (or 1+1) then yes

I am sure this comes up a lot on the UA forums as well but given UA doesn't allow *Gs E+ access for free, why should AC give preferred seat access for free?
I never suggested they should. I meant to say that since there was no advance seat selection and no preferred seat access, what else is left? "Special privileges wherever you choose to fly" is the advertisement that Star Alliance uses to describe *G status. I am just looking for these special privileges.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Did you or did you not get the free bag?

​​​​​​On the technical side, was this booked in X class, or was it a paid ticket? I've heard of this a lot with Aeroplan tickets, even booked by Super Elites, where OLCI asks for money. But the agents are usually very quick to accept bags without payment. If there's another reproducible case where you don't get your entitlement, I'm curious to know what it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.