Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Star Gold / Silver (*G / *S) checked baggage policy (2017 onwards)

Star Gold / Silver (*G / *S) checked baggage policy (2017 onwards)

Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Why would they change the Altitude allowance? Those members have proven that they spend money on AC.

I suspect there were a lot of FOTSG A3*G checking 3x70 each way on $200 Tango fares.
If I match my A3*G to TK*G can I use both cards for two extra bags?

​​​​​
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:12 am
alc

Haven't read thru all posts yet, but this does sound like a changes to *G and *S members. Altitude members not affected, correct?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by alc
Haven't read thru all posts yet, but this does sound like a changes to *G and *S members. Altitude members not affected, correct?
Sorry, but maybe you should read the thread then. Your questions are all answered. (Which BTW is: correct).
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Why would they change the Altitude allowance? Those members have proven that they spend money on AC.
*shrug* No idea. But why wouldn't they?

The profitability argument can be made for Altitude members too.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gregster
This is roughly in-line with what UA offers. Actually still slightly better overall, as UA gives no free bags to *S and only one to *G when flying in Y domestically.
Not quite. For Star G, UA gives everyone on the PNR the same baggage allowance as the status holder. So as a Star G travelling with three other people on the same PNR, they all get one additional bag, not just me.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I suspect there were a lot of FOTSG A3*G checking 3x70 each way on $200 Tango fares.
Refuting this point would be off topic, but suffice it to say that A3*G isn't all that easy to get these days.

Anyways, it was a good ride while it lasted; I just wish they had waited until I booked my flight back to Canada
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
This is only for domestic, right?

If so, who cares, how many foreign *S fly AC domestic?
Randomly checked AC baggage allowance on the website for YYZ-CUN as Star G to see if it has changed. Says one free bag on Flex only. So no extra bags for Star G unless the website is incorrect.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by pewpew
Refuting this point would be off topic, but suffice it to say that A3*G isn't all that easy to get these days.

Anyways, it was a good ride while it lasted; I just wish they had waited until I booked my flight back to Canada
I thought all the A3*Gs matched to TK.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
The new logic for the checked bag fee page needs some work.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e/checked.html

For YYZ-YVR in PE or J, it says two bags free for no status, but only one free bag with *G! (I assume the correct result should be three free bags)
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
For YYZ-YVR in PE or J, it says two bags free for no status, but only one free bag with *G! (I assume the correct result should be three free bags)
No, it's an enhancement
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Party's over, AC was one of the only carriers giving *S a free bag on any fare and *G the same as its own top elites.
I thought, based on my observation at the gate, that everyone received one free bag.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AC has simply aligned itself with the *A policy.

1. *S gets nothing extra.
2. *G gets 1 bag over the allowance.

Light must have gone on for AC that it was offering other *A carriers' elites something which its own elites don't get when they fly those carriers.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by pewpew
So I've seen. Yet one more example of people unwittingly ending a good thing by breathlessly proclaiming their cleverness on public blogs, forums and the like. Despite their hefty compensation, many senior executives of our major legacy airlines aren't all that smart, and certainly not keen on burrowing down to the finer details of various agreements, partnerships and policies of competing or allied carriers - details that permit work-arounds to many imposed barriers and take advantage of little-known fares and routings to achieve a desired result.

Fortunately for them, we have no shortage of keyboard warriors more than willing to lay it all out for them to see and adjust accordingly.

As a "foreign" *G AC user, I'm left untouched, as the age-old concept of "it's who you know" allows me a certain immunity from such benefit adjustments.

What is this AQD of which you all speak?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I thought, based on my observation at the gate, that everyone received one free bag.
Nice.

Next flight I take I will ask for my free bag at the gate.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vernonc
Not quite. For Star G, UA gives everyone on the PNR the same baggage allowance as the status holder. So as a Star G travelling with three other people on the same PNR, they all get one additional bag, not just me.
And as someone who once booked a domestic US ski trip for travel alone (meeting people at the destination), UA lost my business over this. I went with DL instead, as it was cheaper overall.

I'm not saying this is a good move by AC. But it's not an unexpected move.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.