Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bluetooth Headset

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE100K, PC PLATINUM, FAIRMONT PLATINUM, NEXUS, ENTERPRISE PLATINUM PLUS, IHG SPIRE ELITE
Bluetooth Headset

Hello,

Just a quick question, has anyone been asked to remove their Bluetooth headset during a flight?

Thanks,
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Yes, they will ask you to remove it.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
On Jazz, they now make an announcement that these are not allowed at all during the flight
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
General announcements, yes.

But I am guessing that the OP is asking if crew will ask specific passengers to remove their Bluetooth headsets. This I have not seen yet despite many pax having such models.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Bluetooth is allowed on any flight with wifi.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:00 pm
alc

During my EYW run last weekend on a Q400 where I did see FA ask a PAX to remove their BT Headphone.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
2 years ago I was asked not to use my wireless mouse on a A333, since then I've used it a ton of times and no FA has said anything, perhaps the policy has changed?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I have been using a bluetooth headphone this year for 40+ flights with no request to remove other than for takeoff and landing (they are over the ear type)
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by vernonc
I have been using a bluetooth headphone this year for 40+ flights with no request to remove other than for takeoff and landing (they are over the ear type)
Exactly. I see tons of people wear them on all metal types.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Bluetooth is allowed on any flight with wifi.
I was flying DFW-YVR earlier this month in J (CR9). Using my Beats headphones as usual, but just for noise cancellation. SD didn't say anything but after takeoff a different FA asked me to take them off (no Bluetooth allowed in air) and gave me a pair of the regular earbuds.

Hadnt heard this before, and since I wasn't using Bluetooth I put them back on after she left and no one else said anything the rest of the flight.

(This plane had wifi - was not C-FJZD)
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is another case of consistent inconsistencies. Par for the course.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Bluetooth will be totally safe (and allowed) when airlines find a way to monetize its use.
Dorian and blue2002 like this.

Last edited by ffsim; Sep 24, 2017 at 8:28 pm
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
I was on a Q400 as well past week and a FA asked a passenger to remove bluetooth head set. Customer asked why and was told that it interfered with plane communication system on this type of plane !!!!
Interested to see this type of communication on the AC website.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
4 Jazz flights 2 weeks ago: 2 CRA, 2 Q400. On all flights, as part of the intro, SD said "Any Bluetooth devices, including wireless headsets are not allowed on this type of aircraft" . What I found strange was that a) first time I had heard that message and B) long emphasis by all SDs on the word "type" .

Could this be a BBD aircraft thing?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: many
It's not specific to Bombardier - rather, it stems from the requirements for Transmitting Personal Electronic Devices to be tested and certified for use by the operator (Air Canada) and not by the manufacturer as far as the interference protection goes. The tests tend to be by type, thus the announcement.

Bluetooth operates on same 2.4GHz ISM band, which already needs to be tested to allow for WiFi, so it tends to be allowed where WiFi is allowed and disallowed where it is not - as there is no money to be made by AC by testing airplanes where WiFi is not present.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.