Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada apologizes for Alberta mother’s ordeal on plane

Air Canada apologizes for Alberta mother’s ordeal on plane

Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:23 pm

There is one key point here that everyone is missing, namely the safety of other passengers in proximity of a child seat should there be an emergency. For front facing seats, proper installation requires the use of a tether strap to prevent to prevent the seat from rotating. Obviously this is not possible in an airplane and as such a passenger, including the parent supervising the child, could face serious injury if the seat rotates due to turbulence, improper installation or an emergency landing. As well, assuming that the child seat is in the middle and the parent has the aisle seat, how is the passenger in the window seat going to be able to evacuate in an emergency while the parent struggles to unbuckle child restraints which are way more complex than the standard seat buckle? This risk is even greater when the seat is rear facing and the passenger in the window seat not only has to wait until the child is unbuckled but also has to remove the car seat and place it elsewhere (like where?) to evacuate (as I am sure that the parent will not be doing this) and seconds count!
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK car seats are required to be in window seats for aircraft in the 3-3 configuration. There cannot be a passenger on the other side of the car seat from the only aisle to which that passenger has access.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Air Canada - Child Restraint Devices

Very specific and detailed rules and regs.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-children.html

Attached Images       
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
But wait!!!!

Clearly, the FA works in an airplane, and knows more!!!!!
No that's the thing. She doesn't work at the actusl airport. Just on the airplane. So she kind of knows but not 100%.
balexis likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
At least ANA staff corrected the error and apologized profusely. Some US/Canadian airlines are more likely to flip you the bird.
Exactly 100% she was doing her job, and just double, then triple checked the rules and protocols.
​​​​​
The apology was severe, Japanese culture I am assuming. She must have said sorry a dozen times or more.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:52 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by tracon
Seat recline may not be part of the conditions of carriage. Neither is sitting in front of an infant.
But if my seat doesn't recline, I'll be b!tching to no end and looking for compensation. This forum is full of people that would do the same. I would count your lucky stars you got away with what you did.
If I buy a seat anywhere other than row 1, I fully expect the seat in front of me to recline. And I expect my seat to be able to recline.
I really hope that the above attitude is just internet gallivanting and not real position.

Some free advice should you find your self unable to recline due to a rear facing infant seat behind. Quit while you are ahead. This also applies to the FA that is the subject of the complainant in this thread.

All cops have to go through a rotation on traffic beat. During this time they become experts on child restraint systems and their installation. When a cop comes across an incorrectly installed child seat, the driver gets a "ticket" to appear at the monthly car seat installation sessions where the specifics are gone over in detail over the course of 2-4 hours.

If the FA at on the complainants flight had called for removal of the pax, the cop would have lectured the FA. Same goes if the pax infront causes a scene and gets the cops called to the airplane.

The minimum age for an infant to go forward facing is 1 year and the recommendation is 2 years. No cop is ever going to agree to lap child as recommended course of action just like no cop is ever going to agree that seat belts in cars are optional.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WR Cage
I really hope that the above attitude is just internet gallivanting and not real position.

Some free advice should you find your self unable to recline due to a rear facing infant seat behind. Quit while you are ahead. This also applies to the FA that is the subject of the complainant in this thread.

All cops have to go through a rotation on traffic beat. During this time they become experts on child restraint systems and their installation. When a cop comes across an incorrectly installed child seat, the driver gets a "ticket" to appear at the monthly car seat installation sessions where the specifics are gone over in detail over the course of 2-4 hours.

If the FA at on the complainants flight had called for removal of the pax, the cop would have lectured the FA. Same goes if the pax infront causes a scene and gets the cops called to the airplane.

The minimum age for an infant to go forward facing is 1 year and the recommendation is 2 years. No cop is ever going to agree to lap child as recommended course of action just like no cop is ever going to agree that seat belts in cars are optional.
This has nothing to do with "cops".

I'm with @tracon on this.

If the person behind me prevents me from reclining, I am going to complain.

I dealt with this once on YYZ-YVR. I wasn't feeling well. I had a sinus infection. The guy behind me (he was 3F, I was 2F, on a 320 or similar) kept punching my seat whenever I reclined.

I bought a seat that would allow me to relax, if I wanted to.

You have no right to interfere with the regular operation of my seat.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
This has nothing to do with "cops".

I'm with @tracon on this.

If the person behind me prevents me from reclining, I am going to complain.

I dealt with this once on YYZ-YVR. I wasn't feeling well. I had a sinus infection. The guy behind me (he was 3F, I was 2F, on a 320 or similar) kept punching my seat whenever I reclined.

I bought a seat that would allow me to relax, if I wanted to.

You have no right to interfere with the regular operation of my seat.
+1,000,000

Or, I guess those seat recliner stopper thingies would've been acceptable by now.

Also, the RCHHMP on this forum will always play the "my problem is your problem" tune.

Last edited by yyznomad; Sep 18, 2017 at 4:49 am
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Also, the RCHHMP on this forum will always play the "my problem is your problem" tune.
The irony in this is that both sides are playing the same card. One says that in the interest of safety for my child, the person ahead of me may not be able to recline. The other says that in the interest of my comfort, that child should not be safely sitting behind me. One says that I paid for a seat that reclines, the other says that I paid for a seat to put my child's safety device in.

Note, I am not an RCHHMP, just a casual third party observer of this argument. My fingers are all on the keyboard.

Last edited by YEG_SE4Life; Sep 18, 2017 at 9:56 am
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:39 am

Its simple, a carrier sold seats inferior to what was promised. Both parties have the right to what they bought. False advertisement.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
The irony in this is that both sides are playing the same card. One says that in the interest of safety for my child, the person ahead of me may not be able to recline. The other says that in the interest of my comfort, that child should not be safely sitting behind me. One says that I paid for a seat that reclines, the other says that I paid for a seat to put my child's safety device in.

Note, I am not an RCHHMP, just a casual third party observer of this argument. My fingers are all on the keyboard.
Sorry, yes, I agree with this. My response to cow was more about his reference to his story of the pax behind him prevented him from reclining. But whatever.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Sorry, yes, I agree with this. My response to cow was more about his reference to his story of the pax behind him prevented him from reclining. But whatever.
Cmon now this all happens behind the curtain, where you rarely tread..
Car seats are not allowed in the front cabin.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Agreed. I was just adding to your comment.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life

Are there child restraint devices that do not impact the recline of the seat in front?

Are there seats that do not have seats in front?

Strapping your child into 13F on a 320 with a restraint device that prevents 12F from reclining is the issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.