Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Proof! (according to AC)...the CBC is biased against Air Canada

Proof! (according to AC)...the CBC is biased against Air Canada

Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Exactly. Pettiness doesn't look good on anyone, and definitely not a large public company like AC.
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Seems very unprofessional to post this on social media?! Like the airline of Zimbabwe would... but AC? Just odd.
Unless they're so fed up with the constant negative coverage that they just wanted to push back. They already look awful in the eyes of CBC readers, maybe this'll win some over. Maybe. Just maybe. But probably not lol
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: TK *G
Speaking of boarding efficiency, what kind of efficiency are we talking about? There are economic efficiency, social efficiency, environmental efficiency, etc. We live in a capitalized world, efficiency is economic based but now CBC wants to talk about boarding in the social efficiency sense.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
CBC doesn't like the idea of J pax and frequent fliers having zone 1&2 boarding.

Most major airlines in the world employ this method.

Westjet also allows their Gold members and pax in Plus seats board first.
My read on the emails was not about the existence of zones 1 and 2, but of the 3/4/5 back to front boarding.

Why not make 3 window, 4 middle, and 5 aisle (if that's proven to be faster)?

Originally Posted by jlisi984
Seems very unprofessional to post this on social media?! Like the airline of Zimbabwe would... but AC? Just odd.
Seems very unprofessional of CBC too

But yes, I'm quite surprised to see this aired the way it was.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Good on Air Canada. Media was looking for another crappy clickbait article to generate 'clicks' and looks like they got what they deserved
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My read on the emails was not about the existence of zones 1 and 2, but of the 3/4/5 back to front boarding.

The likely reason is that many FOTSG are parties of 2+ and they tend to sit in the same row, not one behind the other. Since they would not send children to board 40 people before their parents, there would be exceptions made, and they probably are correct in expecting every party to ask to be an exception to the rule and board together as a party.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:56 pm

basically CBC got caught in the act of cherry picking their news/official responses to create sensationalism. very reason why organizations do not want their employees to be interviewed by the media in official capacity. also teaches a lesson about WHO are you replying to in your email!
trooper likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
This says nothing. It's just a show host (of non-news show, this is especially important) to his producer saying that the response sounds like ........ and to cut to the crap. Not sure it really shows any bias.

I do however think that the premise of the topic being explored is stupid but it's a 3 hour long radio show, have to fill some air time.

And no issue with the producer saying they will go to air saying no response was received, they waited 4 days before there was any response.

Man the AC PR team are a bunch of amateurs.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
What AC is conveniently forgetting is they are the ones that are screwing up and giving the CBC a new and crazier story on a near weekly basis about another screw up.

While most people get that things happen, AC's reaction borders on the hilarious with the usual collection of 'we-are-sorry-not-sorry' public statements and then an offer a discount of 5-15% off of a future flight. All to some irate, disgruntled or concerned citizen who is vowing never to fly them again.

This company is a corporate gaff machine.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Incredibly Stupid of AC to do this..... PR heads will probably roll on this.
What makes you think heads will roll?

Seems to be pretty on-point by AC for me. CBC has had this coming for a while now while AC remained relatively quiet and took it in the chin for the past several months.

CBC reporting has been clearly biased and pretty poor in terms of journalistic integrity. Now AC finally has something they can use as proof of that bias.

Journalists are supposed to call companies, government and individuals to task and remain impartial while doing so. Many have suspected that the CBC was no where near impartial, and when journalists are impartial, they need to be called to task as well.

Good on AC for calling out the CBC. ^
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Journalists jealous and frustrated because their employer, CBC, won't put them in business class for work-related travel ?

By the way, journalists can also get zone 2 boarding if they hold Aeroplan credit cards
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Who send out an e mail with their name on it and then adds under their signature something like "Pronounced ta-leeen"?

I don't hector people with how I want my name pronounced. I presume they can read it, and then make their best effort to pronounce it.

Talin sounds like a complete goof....a real DYKWIA and more importantly, DYKWTPI?

(Do you know how to pronounce it?)
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Because many passengers are travelling with a partner and don't really feel like boarding separately. Is some once a year flyer supposed toboard in one group and have the spouse board in another group?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I have no issues with AC's actions. I thought the answers AC provided to CBC's questions were thorough and thoughtful (not the usual canned AC response) and it does help to expose the dark underbelly of how the media operates.

I particularly like how they put the shoe on the other foot by writing "CBC has not responded to our request for an explanation"

In fairness to CBC, I don't see this as a smoking gun or proof of bias - but it does have to be tempting to give it back when you've been poked for months by a news outlet over what are in many case (IMHO) petty issues.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Finished the popcorn, starting on the chips now.

Lucky @ OMAAT posts screenshots of the various tweets, posts and emails.

He's also got some videos and other fun stuff. Worth a look

QUOTE:

I’m not posting about this because I think one side is totally in the wrong here, but the sum of everything is just quite entertaining and bizarre. Is the CBC being biased here? It’s popular for media outlets to hate on airlines, so I don’t think it’s unfair to suggest that they might be biased. Air Canada has reasons they don’t use the other systems, and it seems they’re not wanting to give that any air time.

I actually think Air Canada’s boarding system is fairly efficient, but I don’t think the Air Canada rep did a great job explaining why their system works for them.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ir-canada-cbc/

Attached Images  
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
I think it's worth mentioning that this segment has yet to air or probably even yet to be recorded.

Show (not a news show but a discussion show with a host that does opinion essays) airs this Sunday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.