Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Is this type of routing considered cabotage? (2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

I'm thinking about hitting up BOS again for EYW, and I'd like to avoid being accused of sabotage.

As such, I've been playing around with various tools.

ITA simply will not show any results for this itinerary.

AC.com spits up a warning (see attached screenshot), but lets me book it.

So what is the rule? SFO-YYJ is a fare. YYJ-BOS is a fare. I'm spending ~12 hours in Canada from the time I clear CBSA to the time I clear CBP.

I've had enough loose discussions on this matter in the past that I know a lot about what people "think" or "guess", but I really want to know what actually makes an itinerary (il)legal.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm thinking about hitting up BOS again for EYW, and I'd like to avoid being accused of sabotage.

So what is the rule? SFO-YYJ is a fare. YYJ-BOS is a fare. I'm spending ~12 hours in Canada from the time I clear CBSA to the time I clear CBP.

I've had enough loose discussions on this matter in the past that I know a lot about what people "think" or "guess", but I really want to know what actually makes an itinerary (il)legal.

Why do you want to go to Boston (BOS) to get to Key West (EYW) from San Francisco?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

Why do you want to go to Boston (BOS) to get to Key West (EYW) from San Francisco?
EYW: Earn Your Wings (EYW) v6 2017
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Not sure if this is helpful:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...-cabotage-laws

I was under the impression that a stop of more than 24 hours in the transit country was necessary to avoid a cabotage situation, but I'm not an expert in this area.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if this is helpful:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...-cabotage-laws

I was under the impression that a stop of more than 24 hours in the transit country was necessary to avoid a cabotage situation, but I'm not an expert in this area.
But I'm not buying SFO-BOS via YYJ.

I'm buying SFO-YYJ and YYJ-BOS, both via at least one other Canadian city.

What if I'm only in BOS for 40 minutes, and then back to Canada?

What if I want to fly YUL-BOS-YUL-BOS-YUL? I feel like this is one of those situations where legally, it's fine (clearly my goal is not to fly SFO-BOS), but whether the ticketing system (or finger-wagging BOS agents) allow it is another matter.

But I can't even find anything that has a strict legal definition.

There's no way it's as simple as "24 hours". I've done same day turns to Canada multiple times from SFO, and no one ever has an issue there. Or is it a case where SFO-YYZ-SFO is fine, but SFO-YYZ-YVR-YUL-YOW-BOS-YUL-YHZ-YYZ-SFO is not?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold

guv1976 ... met cow
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Why not just book on two separate tickets if you are concerned ?

Cost shouldn't be a factor in that case?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:59 pm

Should work if you're booking separate tickets.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcohen999
Why not just book on two separate tickets if you are concerned ?

Cost shouldn't be a factor in that case?
I prefer to avoid 40 minute connections on separate PNRs

And I want to point out - I CAN book this example on AC.com, but it gives that warning about stopping.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Is it bookable, even though there is a warning? If so, then you have your answer!

I always understood cabatoge was AC taking you from one US city to another, without going into Canada. In your example that would be flying SFO-BOS nonstop (or even direct if such a thing existed).
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Cabatoge would be the carrier's problem, not yours.

No?

But in any case, you are stopping in Canada, e.g. it isn't a domestic routing so far as the US DOT would know.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:47 pm

It's not about what you're allowed to fly, it's what an airline is allowed to sell to you.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

1. You didn't answer the OPs question!
2. This is FT, so I'm shocked that you're shocked.
3. As you can see, cow has a reason called EYW, not that he needs a reason to appease anyone here on his flying patterns.
4. Come to the YYC DO later this month and meet cow and the rest of us crazy dingleberries.

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Cabatoge would be the carrier's problem, not yours.

No?

But in any case, you are stopping in Canada, e.g. it isn't a domestic routing so far as the US DOT would know.
I once had an itinerary like this and was denied my boarding passes, even though I booked it right off of Ac.com and never got any warning message. In fact, the agent scolded me with a lecture.

I agree that it shouldn't be my problem, but it became my problem.

Last edited by tcook052; Sep 14, 2017 at 8:55 pm
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
1. You didn't answer the OPs question!
2. This is FT, so I'm shocked that you're shocked.
3. As you can see, cow has a reason called EYW, not that he needs a reason to appease anyone here on his flying patterns.
4. Come to the YYC DO later this month and meet cow and the rest of us crazy dingleberries.

I once had an itinerary like this and was denied my boarding passes, even though I booked it right off of Ac.com and never got any warning message. In fact, the agent scolded me with a lecture.

I agree that it shouldn't be my problem, but it became my problem.
Perhaps there is a hidden field that shows up on the agents screen that says "crazy dingleberries", with a tick mark next to it.

This has to be quite common. You have a couple of meeting, fly in to one city for the day, catch a late flight out to you next destination and it happens to generate something like this.

The SFO-YYJ non-stop is a united flight. That may also play a role. (However I have a strange feeling the OP is not doing the non-stop).
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Perhaps there is a hidden field that shows up on the agents screen that says "crazy dingleberries", with a tick mark next to it.
Not required. They just know by default when the iterinaty pops up on their screen.

Originally Posted by Fiordland
This has to be quite common. You have a couple of meeting, fly in to one city for the day, catch a late flight out to you next destination and it happens to generate something like this.
Exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.